snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 28 March 2008, 03:28 AM

Spit Take Now that feels tasty

That morning shot of espresso probably tastes better in an Italian, thick-walled cup than in a burn-your-fingers paper one, reports an April study in the Journal of Consumer Research. "People always say wine tastes better in crystal glasses than in plastic glasses," says lead author Aradhna Krishna, marketing professor at the University of Michigan. "Rationally, the feel of a container should not affect taste."

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/0327...27080041.shtml
Old 29 March 2008, 07:56 PM
bjohn13

Doesn't plastic leach miniscule amounts of itself into liquid contained within, and couldn't this affect the taste?
Old 29 March 2008, 10:06 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Considering that the palette of a wine depends largely on what you can smell in the wine, a plastic cup that smells like plastic will affect the taste of the wine in it. A crystal glass that smells like lemons will also affect the taste of a wine. It really doesn't have anything to do with the texture of the vessel it is in. For wine and coffee connissors, it is all about the smell. Minute smells can change the body and taste of their beverage of choice.

It is an interesting experiment, but I wonder if they took into consideration the difference in smells the two different cups may have had. IME, flimsier cups have a stronger plastic smell than the stronger/thicker cups. Considering the majority of what you "taste" comes from your nose, I wonder if those that tested as having a "low sensitivity to touch" and tasted bad water have a higher sensitivity to smells.
Old 30 March 2008, 01:15 AM

Agreeing with vanilla, I will not drink coffee out of a styrofoam cup. Actually, I don't like styrofoam at all. I will occasionally drink water out of it. I have occasionally eaten off it. But no way will I drink coffee from it. If I'm going to get coffee to go, it'll be from Caribou, Cafe Royale, or Starbucks so I get the heavy paper cup with the safety band on it.
Old 31 March 2008, 02:59 AM

Back when I drank milk, I couldn't drink it out of plastic cups because the smell of the cup gave the milk an 'off' taste. It had to be either glass or a cerami mug or the milk tasted bad to me.
Old 31 March 2008, 03:10 AM

I don't drink wine or coffee, but thanks to King Henry's Feast, I know that coke tastes really bad out of a pewter cup.

It seems kind of a "duh" thing to realize, yes, eating and drinking tend to be a full sensory experience, so of course what we are drinking out of affects our evaluation of the drink.

It's like Superman ice cream (how it used to be, now they flavor the colors differently). Sure, it was all vanilla, but the red, blue, and yellow swirled colors made it taste so much better than plain vanilla.
Old 01 April 2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
It's like Superman ice cream (how it used to be, now they flavor the colors differently). Sure, it was all vanilla, but the red, blue, and yellow swirled colors made it taste so much better than plain vanilla.
Or M&Ms. I like red the best and don't care for blue.