snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 26 March 2008, 01:18 AM
keepyourkiltdown

Default Real Steve Guttenberg died 07/08/91

I found this topic on the forums at IMDB. I'm doubting it's true, but has anyone heard this? I found very few other places on the net that even mention the topic.

"How this has been masked for so long I don't know, but Steve Guttenberg died 07/08/91 from complications with a blood clot, I remember back then on ET, for the red carpet premiere for Point Break, Lori Petty talking about how sad this was and she was there with Eric La salle pre ER fame, but then it wasn't mentioned again.

Rudolph "Rudy" Guttenberg, Steve's older brother, took over as Steve Guttenberg in late 1992/1993. He just took the name and has been his since then.

I did even read this on Wikipedia a year back because I didn't believe it even though I remember the interview on ET with Lori Petty, but with re-emergence of his name with Dancing with the Stars season 6, the link explaining this had been dropped, something which Wiki has became famous for.

When Steve Guttenberg died in 1991 his career was still strong and he appealed to an audience, out of no where he goes on a near 2 year hiatus, comes back looking older and doesn't have the timing he once had and all his perfomances seemed lackluster, do to Rudy Guttenberg taking over Steve Guttenberg (comparable to Gallagher selling the rights to his brother the gimmick and act back in late 80's).

Go ahead and think this is crazy but look at the facts I present to you, and that little voice in the back of your head saying this makes sense isn't wrong its intuition and it is always right."

The link to this board is http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000430/board/nest/98341903
but I don't think you'll be able to see it unless you are registered.
Old 26 March 2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepyourkiltdown View Post
Go ahead and think this is crazy
Done and done. Steve Guttenburg is no Paul McCartney, who besides the Stone Cutters would create a fake Steve Guttenburg?
Old 26 March 2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithaHat View Post
who besides the Stone Cutters would create a fake Steve Guttenburg?
We do....we do!
Old 26 March 2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
We do....we do!
I suppose you also keep the metric system down too!
Old 26 March 2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepyourkiltdown View Post
"its intuition and it is always right."
I'd say this tells us everything we need to know about the evidence backing up this claim.
Old 26 March 2008, 05:52 PM

Of all the people this could be said about, it had be Steve Guttenberg?
Old 26 March 2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
When Steve Guttenberg died in 1991 his career was still strong and he appealed to an audience, out of no where he goes on a near 2 year hiatus, comes back looking older and doesn't have the timing he once had and all his perfomances seemed lackluster, do to Rudy Guttenberg taking over Steve Guttenberg (comparable to Gallagher selling the rights to his brother the gimmick and act back in late 80's).

Go ahead and think this is crazy but look at the facts I present to you, and that little voice in the back of your head saying this makes sense isn't wrong its intuition and it is always right."
I am suprised no one had heard about this before- the famous "Police Academy" curse. Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol featured an ensemble cast of extremely promising young actors; however, it seems that, through a series of seemingly unrelated, yet nontheless unsettling coincidences, none of the major players* have been able to establish a lasting career in Hollywood following their roles in the film. A small sample of the cast's misfortunes:

- Steve "Officer Carey Mahoney" Guttenberg died in 1991, only to be replaced by his brother, who, despite starring in P.S. You're Cat is Dead, has failed to recapture his late sibling's onscreen magic
- David "Sgt. Tackleberry" Graf, died of natural causes in 2001
- Michael "Sgt. Lavar 'Motor Mouth' Jones" Winslow never starred in a major motion picture again, after Police Academy 6: City Under Seige
-Robert "Bobcat 'Officer Zed' " Golthwait is just terrible now

The list goes on and on. Has anyone heard from Lance "Lt. Proctor" Kinsey, the busty yet oddly mannish policewoman, or the guy who played Sweetchuck lately? All victims of the "Police Academy" curse.

*Sharon Stone, who plays Mahoney's love interest, will not be counted as a "major player."
Old 26 March 2008, 11:56 PM

Police

Well, Kim Cattrall (Cadet Karen Thompson) doesn't seem to be cursed.

Last edited by Wicked Tinkerbell; 26 March 2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: clarity is good...
Old 27 March 2008, 12:12 AM

I love the IMDB boards...

Quote:
by Ixnatifual 2 days ago (Mon Mar 24 2008 09:57:57) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's all true, except that it was not his brother who took over Steve's identity. A magical simulacrum was created from bags of decomposing Corn Flakes in the likeness of Steve Guttenberg, and it is this creature which now parades around as a mockery of the now dead actor from whom it owes its appearance.
Quote:
Re: Real Steve Guttenberg died 07/08/91
by secondarymodern 8 hours ago (Wed Mar 26 2008 08:35:24) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh man, if someone throws milk at Guttenberg, he's so screwed.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Well, Kim Cattrall (Cadet Karen Thompson) doesn't seem to be cursed.
Nice try, but the curse really only applies to Citizens on Patrol. You'll notice that Brian "Cadet Nogata" Tochi, who starred in Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment and Police Academy 3: Back in Training, has experienced a robust career, starring not only as "Tokashi" in Revenge of the Nerds, but also as the chief foreign correspondent on the high school new program Channel One.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy012 View Post
Nice try, but the curse really only applies to Citizens on Patrol. You'll notice that Brian "Cadet Nogata" Tochi, who starred in Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment and Police Academy 3: Back in Training, has experienced a robust career, starring not only as "Tokashi" in Revenge of the Nerds, but also as the chief foreign correspondent on the high school new program Channel One.
He also starred in an episode of the rehashed 1980s series "The New Twilight Zone." Talk about star power.

ETA: ooh...turns out he was in one of the original Star Trek episodes.
Old 27 March 2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Rudolph "Rudy" Guttenberg, Steve's older brother, took over as Steve Guttenberg in late 1992/1993. He just took the name and has been his since then.
I actually tend to believe this. If you look at a photo of Steve in 1992 and compare it to a picture of "Steve" now, the current "Steve" does look older.
Old 27 March 2008, 01:36 AM

Forgive me if you were joking and I didn't get it, but:

Quote:
- David "Sgt. Tackleberry" Graf, died of natural causes in 2001
He died at age 51 of a heart attack. I hope that's not natural causes. Plus it was the same age and condition his father had, so that wouldn't be a curse, but bad genes or something. (Source: IMDb) I didn't know this though and I'm really sad because I loved Tackleberry.
Quote:
- Michael "Sgt. Lavar 'Motor Mouth' Jones" Winslow never starred in a major motion picture again, after Police Academy 6: City Under Seige
But if the curse was from Police Academy 4, then he had at least two more major motion pictures, right (#5 and 6)? Plus, his IMDb page says he's got tons of credits, mostly TV shows but obviously he's working. And he's on the Geico commercial now.
Quote:
-Robert "Bobcat 'Officer Zed' " Golthwait is just terrible now
Now? As in he wasn't before?

Last edited by Eve MG; 27 March 2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 27 March 2008, 03:03 AM

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve MG View Post
He died at age 51 of a heart attack. I hope that's not natural causes.
As I learned from personal experience in dealing with insurance companies and other organizations after my mother died, the term "natural causes" is used to describe death due to illness, even if the person was relatively young. The alternatives would be "homicide" or "accident."
Old 27 March 2008, 04:09 AM

So, why so much effort to cover up Steve Guttenberg's death? Was the US, still reeling from the first Gulf War, so fragile that the passing of this beloved icon* would tear the country apart?

*And seriously, other than the Police Academy movies (which were terrible) and Three Men and a Baby (which was terrible), did Guttenberg really have that great of a career?
Old 27 March 2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
*And seriously, other than the Police Academy movies (which were terrible) and Three Men and a Baby (which was terrible), did Guttenberg really have that great of a career?
While the "Police Academy" films may not have appealled to the art house, silk pajamas set, Short Circuit anyone? Cocoon: The Return? Three Men and a Little Lady?

That's not to say that the baffling events surrounding the abrupt decline of Steve Guttenberg from Tinseltown royalty to journeyman actor is necessarily the product of some sort of conspiracy to cover his death; perhaps it is just an indicator of the quicksilver-like nature of fame itself. Rather, it is a postulate, one thread of the tapestry that comprises the so-called "Police Academy" curse. Remember that, even without Flight 19, there would still be a Bermuda Triangle, no?

Whether we can trace these phenomenon to some supernatural origin or no, the fact remains that, in the entire register of 20th Century entertainment, there seem to be a few projects that, inexplicably, have seemd to "curse" the careers of the men and women who took part. The Police Academy Curse is one. The Small Wonder Curse, and the Color Me Badd Curse, are two more prominent examples of this anomaly. Can these occurrences can be chalked up to mere chance, or are they a hint of something more sinister? At the end of the day, perhaps A.J. Benza, himself a victim of the E! Mysteries and Scandals Curse, said it best.

Okay, I'm totally kidding
Old 27 March 2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Whether we can trace these phenomenon to some supernatural origin or no, the fact remains that, in the entire register of 20th Century entertainment, there seem to be a few projects that, inexplicably, have seemd to "curse" the careers of the men and women who took part. The Police Academy Curse is one. The Small Wonder Curse, and the Color Me Badd Curse, are two more prominent examples of this anomaly. Can these occurrences can be chalked up to mere chance, or are they a hint of something more sinister? At the end of the day, perhaps A.J. Benza, himself a victim of the E! Mysteries and Scandals Curse, said it best.
What about The Wizard of Oz curse? Nearly everyone who was in that movie is now dead.

And I had totally forgotten about AJ Benza and Mysteries and Scandals. I used to love that show.
Old 27 March 2008, 01:30 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
{snip} At the end of the day, perhaps A.J. Benza, himself a victim of the E! Mysteries and Scandals Curse, said it best.
Well, he is on Celebrity Fit Club now. If that's not a curse, I don't know what is.
Old 27 March 2008, 03:56 PM

Ponder

Well, if he died in 1991, noone has told the SSA. No Steve or Steven Guttenberg has ever died and no Guttenberg with the birth year of 1958 has ever died in their records.

If he dissappeared for 2 years and then reappeared looking older, isn't it just a bit more likely that he had some illness that he didn't tell the world about and it took a bit out of him?
Old 27 March 2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
What about The Wizard of Oz curse? Nearly everyone who was in that movie is now dead.
I think cinema in general is cursed. If you look at the oldest film in existence, the 2-second experimental short Roundhay Garden Scene from 1888, not only is everybody in it now dead, but one of them - the mother-in-law, Sarah Whitley, died only 10 days after filming at the age of 72! And the director mysteriously vanished from a train two years later, while on his way to patent the invention...