snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 28 December 2006, 05:49 AM

Fright Badger bites

Comment: Is it true that if a badger bites you, it won't let go until it
hears the bone snap?
Old 02 January 2007, 11:30 PM

Icon102

You know I have never heard that one. But I am accepting volunteers for the first human testing.
Old 03 January 2007, 12:24 PM
SiKboy

Could you fool it into letting go prematurely by breaking a breadstick behind its ear? Would a deaf badger never let go?

Last edited by SiKboy; 03 January 2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: edited because "inot" isnt even a word...
Old 03 January 2007, 12:56 PM

Mouse

I have never bitten anyone and held on unti- oh. You mean the animal. Not a UW-Madison grad. Nevermind
Old 03 January 2007, 02:07 PM

I've heard that and that you are supposed to put charcoal in your boot which will make a crunchy noise as it bites. On the other hand, my biology teachers have said that it's total bullshit, and I tend to believe them over old tales.

Still, I would advice into allowing one to perform oral sex on you, but there is probably some fetish about that out there somewhere on the internet. "Bite until it crunches! Bite until it crunches! Bite until it crunches! Yes! Yes! Yes!" or something like that.
Old 04 January 2007, 11:54 PM

Judging by the animals they feed on, and how they hunt, i'd expect the badgers to crunch their prey (as opposed to other carnivores that do thing like rip parts off, thrash their heads, or try to deliver lethal bite to the neck)

Of course, we would normally expect that a defenseive bite against a human would be different. So i'd say badgers in general not letting go until they here a crunch would obviously be untrue.

If the false analogy wasn't a source for the legend, then perhaps it was a freak occurence: In the animal world, just like people, there's always a few "weirdos", so it wouldnt suprise me if the legend had a true origin, that someone encountered a badger that wouldn't let go until it heard a crunch (i.e. it's prey instincs and defensive instincts are confused).

Predators are relatively rare, and are treated with respect/fear, so that one single occurence has a larger possibility for spreading as a stereotype than for example the mad squirrel incident somewhere in the US.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:06 AM
lazerus the duck

Don't worry about the bone snapping, worry about what happend at the next full moon.

Lazerus the Lyconthropically challenged Duck.
Old 06 January 2007, 04:05 AM
RainyDaze

I don't know about badgers but I have owned ferrets. Playful, cute, and if they succeed in nipping you they will not let go until you force their tiny jaws open with your free hand. Good thing the little devils don't have two heads.

Until proven otherwise I will assume badgers, being bigger and reputed to be bad tempered, would have a much worse bite and like their little cousins the ferret would not let go.
Old 20 May 2007, 02:02 AM
Gizmo

It's true that Badgers are capable of crunching bones up as they do have powerful jaws. As for biting people, I believe wild animals will only bite as a last resort if they felt threatened but have not heard of a Badger biting a human.

My parents' neighbours feed dried dog food to a family of Badgers in their rear garden at 11pm every night.

We used to feed foxes at my first home as they help keep rats away. Here's a photo I took of a local man with his 6 year old pet fox Roxy: -

Old 20 May 2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
It's true that Badgers are capable of crunching bones up as they do have powerful jaws. As for biting people, I believe wild animals will only bite as a last resort if they felt threatened but have not heard of a Badger biting a human.

My parents' neighbours feed dried dog food to a family of Badgers in their rear garden at 11pm every night.

American Badgers are a seperate but closely related species. They are solitary and are predators rather than (primarily) scavengers, so they are more likely to come into contact with humans; they also have a reputation of bad temper and general aggressiveness.