snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 20 March 2008, 12:02 AM

Wolf Honey, Dinner Is in the Driveway

Dinner Time in Eagle River, Wisconsin

These people living in Northern Wisconsin put some corn out in the dead of winter to sustain the area deer.

When I said the deer up here were as thick as cats and dogs, I wasn't far off.

Old 20 March 2008, 02:26 AM
Heckedy Peg

Why would you need to 'sustain the area deer'? Don't we have a hunting season for a reason?

Remind me never to drive through Wisconsin.
Old 20 March 2008, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckedy Peg View Post
Why would you need to 'sustain the area deer'? Don't we have a hunting season for a reason?

Remind me never to drive through Wisconsin.
Well, duh. You have to help them live through the winter so you can hunt them later!

Seriously, though, I heard on the news recently that the state of Iowa is concerned about the effects of the harsh winter on wildlife, which may impact the hunting season. I understand that hunting is good for the local economy, but it really cracks me up that we want the animals to live through the winter so people can shoot them. Damn winter, killing animals the natural way!
Old 20 March 2008, 07:47 AM
Lady Neeva

I'll take being shot over starving to death... which is the natural way winter kills animals. That or getting frozen to the ground and starving. Or breaking a leg... and starving (if infection doesn't get them first). Or freezing to death... which probably isn't that common unless something is already wrong with that animal, since they're pretty well adapted to surviving outside in the cold.

Natural doesn't always mean better.

(really natural, there would be large predators keeping the prey species populations in some kind of balance all along so slow starvation wouldn't be the death du jour for winter)
Old 21 March 2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
I'll take being shot over starving to death... which is the natural way winter kills animals. That or getting frozen to the ground and starving. Or breaking a leg... and starving (if infection doesn't get them first). Or freezing to death... which probably isn't that common unless something is already wrong with that animal, since they're pretty well adapted to surviving outside in the cold.

Natural doesn't always mean better.
No, but it does mean that the fittest survive, which is more than can be said for what hunters do. You always tend to see a nice fit buck strapped to the hood of that Chevy...at least, that's what you see in NEPA. I wonder, if faced with the prospects like those photos above, whether a hunter would pick out the weakest/sickest looking deer to mount on his wall?

If my choice was possible death with nature or sure death with a shotgun, I think I'd take my chances with nature, thanks.
Old 21 March 2008, 07:21 AM
charlie23

Quote:
Well, duh. You have to help them live through the winter so you can hunt them later!
That's pretty much true, actually.
Many people up there eat a lot of venison: putting corn out in the winter is a good way to keep them on your property & spot the fat ones. The amount of corn used isn't really enough to sustain them on its own.
And of course, a lot of people just enjoy seeing them out in the yard.

Quote:
I wonder, if faced with the prospects like those photos above, whether a hunter would pick out the weakest/sickest looking deer to mount on his wall?
I don't know about PA, but the majority of deer hunters I've known don't have anything mounted on their walls. They hunt for the meat and wouldn't bother paying to have something mounted unless it was a record buck or something. They wouldn't take a weak or sick deer for the same reason you wouldn't slaughter and eat a weak or sick cow.

Last edited by charlie23; 21 March 2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 21 March 2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie23 View Post
And of course, a lot of people just enjoy seeing them out in the yard.
My parents (who, coincidentally, live in Wisconsin) once put a salt lick in their yard for that very reason. They are not hunters, they just really like wildlife.
Old 21 March 2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recklessmess View Post
If my choice was possible death with nature or sure death with a shotgun, I think I'd take my chances with nature, thanks.
Me, too.

I am not really anti-hunting, but I do think the whole thing is a little odd. Part of the reason behind hunting is supposedly to control the population of wild animals like deer, but it is a problem if a harsh winter does the same because then people don't get to shoot as many? And really, if winter kills the weaker ones, isn't that better for hunters because the ones left over are stronger and healthier? I am not trying to be snarky, I just really don't get hunting. Also, I am tired, so I'm probably not making any sense.
Old 21 March 2008, 07:52 AM

In my area, you can see that concentration of deer in a yard (or on a porch) without having provided special nourishment.
Old 21 March 2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recklessmess View Post
Is it really possible death versus sure death? Even with hunting, not all deer (or even a large percentage of deer) are killed, so it is not any more sure than living in an area where food is running out. And really, if you think about it, whether it is nature or hunting, death is a sure bet eventually.
Old 21 March 2008, 11:37 AM
charlie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
Me, too.

I am not really anti-hunting, but I do think the whole thing is a little odd. Part of the reason behind hunting is supposedly to control the population of wild animals like deer, but it is a problem if a harsh winter does the same because then people don't get to shoot as many? And really, if winter kills the weaker ones, isn't that better for hunters because the ones left over are stronger and healthier? I am not trying to be snarky, I just really don't get hunting. Also, I am tired, so I'm probably not making any sense.
If weather or disease becomes an issue then the DNR will usually regulate the number of permits accordingly, so yes: if the winter is hard enough to significantly affect the population, people wouldn't be able to legally hunt as many.
Old 21 March 2008, 03:02 PM

Mini Rant: Actually in many areas of Wis feeding deer is illegal and where it is not there are limits to the amount of food you can put out. I believe it is 3 gallons of food per day. DH and many of his friends deer hunt every year and none of them have mounts on the wall but they do have full freezers. As for a natural death by starvation I would rather be hunted. An animal can take a long time in pain and suffering to starve to death. Most hunters try for a clean kill, and if they wound an animal they will track it till they find it. Deer have always been hunted whether by man or other predators so being prey is nature for them. Some of the overpopulation problem is due to hunting trophies, but some of it is also from removing the natural predators that would keep the population in check. I have also wondered how some people can eat beef but be against hunting. Is it any more natural to raise an animal for food?
Old 21 March 2008, 03:41 PM
BigRoach

Icon23

Is it legal to hunt with hand grenades in Wisconsin?

I prefer to trap my game, and fatten it up myself! "Adventures in corn-fed venison"

So did anybody question the possibility of this photo being fake? I guess for you folks out in the country it's not extraordinary to see this amount of deer in one place? I find it staggeringly amazing.
Old 21 March 2008, 04:04 PM

During winter it is quite common to see large herds of deer in the fields and at feeding stations. On a recent trip I saw at least 4 herds of 20 or more. Sorry it is illegal to hunt with hand grenades would upset the rest of the wildlife

Last edited by RLS; 21 March 2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: last bit is joke, does not read that way
Old 21 March 2008, 05:13 PM

Here's an angle I just thought of. (I don't claim to be the first; I've just never heard it.) It seems to me that this is the ultimate "free-range" meat. Every meal that you get this way is a meal that doesn't depend on animals being kept in confined spaces.
Old 21 March 2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
In my area, you can see that concentration of deer in a yard (or on a porch) without having provided special nourishment.
I saw that kind of herd all the time when I lived up against the green line in Boulder.
Old 21 March 2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Is it any more natural to raise an animal for food?
I believe that it's often less ethical, at least the way that we raise conventional meat animals.
Old 21 March 2008, 06:11 PM

Not that long ago we had a mini-herd of eight come running down the street and through out yard. Even though I'm in Wisconsin, I'm nowhere near Eagle River. I live in a suburban area very close to a busy highway. A few hours later they came back through and I teased DH that they must have gone shopping at Menards.
Old 25 March 2008, 10:26 AM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie23 View Post
They wouldn't take a weak or sick deer for the same reason you wouldn't slaughter and eat a weak or sick cow.
But those are the ones that a wolfpack would take.
Old 26 March 2008, 04:59 PM

My mom gets that many deer at a time in her yard. She feeds them all year, corn, apples, bread. Dad is right now in the process of building a trough for the fence, so the food doesn't get soaked and gross before the deer come out to eat it.

And no one in the family hunts. My parents moved out of the city and bout an acre of land, just so they could sit at the kitchen table, look out the patio doors and see nature. I've lost count of the bird/squirrel feeders in the yard.