Comment: A B C's World News Now news show did a story on the theft of
tractors in North Ireland, in the story they stated that all tractor keys
start all tractors. Example given was John Deere, making the statement
that any John Deere key would start any John Deere tractor. Is this true
for all makers?
Old 19 March 2008, 08:55 AM

Here's the ABC story.

Quote:
Believe it or not, one key fits into any John Deere tractor. Once you get used to it, tractors are pretty easy to drive and very hard to identify. All Ford tractors are solid blue and every John Deere tractor is green.
Old 19 March 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Is this true for all makers?
For the same model type/class, pretty much yes.

I have a Kubota BX series tractor. the key can be used in any Kubota BX series tractor throughout, I believe, all model years.
Old 19 March 2008, 02:37 PM

Sixty Minutes did a report a long time ago about theft of construction equipment, and they showed how a Ford key would start any Ford crane. It's probably the same reasoning for tractors (and for some computer security issues): no one would steal them, right?
Old 19 March 2008, 03:22 PM

Question is, does it apply to other farming equipment? I mean, if you already had one, but then I got a brand new combine harvester, does that make my offering you the keys pointless?
Old 19 March 2008, 03:34 PM

Tis is true, arefrom my experience. My uncle had a tracter with no key, so he would go next door to borrow the neighbors key.

The same does not hold true for riding lawnmowers though....
Old 19 March 2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanting_eyes View Post
Tis is true, arefrom my experience. My uncle had a tracter with no key, so he would go next door to borrow the neighbors key.

The same does not hold true for riding lawnmowers though....
Depends on the mower. My 20 year old Snapper uses a generic key.
Old 19 March 2008, 07:49 PM

Oh my! Next time I drive my John Deere down to the feed store, some MF (MasseyFerguson) could make off with it!

Couldn't resist; I spent two years in the boonies in Colorado. Now I'm just a suburban ABQn. Even when I lived in Santa Cruz, CA, there was more agriculture there.
Old 19 March 2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
Depends on the mower. My 20 year old Snapper uses a generic key.

I actually do not know the name brand of the mower in question.

This was over 7 years ago and my cousin lost the key to it, he tried the keys to the other mowers he had but they did not work. He ended up getting a key made for it.

Like this one but a bit different : http://www.deere.com/en_US/groundsca...cials_ztr.html

ETA: They usually just left the keys in the mowers/cars/trucks or whatever they were driving. They lived out and I do mean way out in the country so there was no concern of theft.

E*E
Old 19 March 2008, 09:44 PM

Reporter

I was going to refute a claim here, but I realise that it is for brands.

My brother-in-law's John Deere key does not work in his Case IH tractor. But I'm not aware whether his Case IH key will start another Case IH vehicle (or John Deere with John Deere for that matter).

Interesting.
Old 19 March 2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanting_eyes View Post
ETA: They usually just left the keys in the mowers/cars/trucks or whatever they were driving. They lived out and I do mean way out in the country so there was no concern of theft.
How far out in the country one lives doesn't make much difference anymore. The thieves know there's valuable stuff out there.

When I first met them, my future in-laws (Third generation farmers.) used to leave the keys in their equipment all of the time. They left the keys in their cars and trucks, and never locked their sheds or house. Drove me nuts. For myself, even if I'm only going to be away from the car for a couple of minutes, it gets locked. I was forever bugging them to stop leaving keys like that and at least start putting them in a locked keybox. They of course, thought that was a pain in the a@# and thought I was just being a paranoid city boy.

They live quite a ways "out in the country" too. Then, tractors and other equipment started disappearing from other farms in the area. They grudgingly started locking equipment up, and quit leaving keys in the vehicles, eventually even locking the doors.

Same thing with the gas and diesel storage tanks. They noticed they seemed to be going through a LOT of diesel, more than could be accounted for with normal use. That's when they started putting locks on the fuel tanks. Now, EVERYTHING is locked. Equipment, vehicles, buildings, the house, and they carry around a huge key ring. In addition, just to be sure, they also had unique locks installed on the tractors and combine. Non of the neighbor's key will work in their stuff now. They mourn the loss of their innocent days, "when you could trust people" but things change.
Old 20 March 2008, 03:09 AM

My uncle I know did not bother with a key for his contruction companies heavy equipment. Just left the key in since it was easy enough to find a working key for the equipment. He did install a extra fuel valve somewere in the engine compartment and used that to stop people for stealing equipment. It worked.
Old 20 March 2008, 02:23 PM

Valid point, even though they do live out in the country ( That uncle passed away last week ) They still leave things wide opened and yes the could in fact get robbed.

That said, anyone entering the property would get chased around by rabid chickens and roosters and then pecked to death. And you would have to figure out how to get on the property as well, avoid broken glass and oil dirt ( no longer dirt, dirt but oil dirt ) and other various dangerous contraptions left about in the yard.

E* who has to get to work * E
Old 20 March 2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
... They of course, thought that was a pain in the a@# and thought I was just being a paranoid city boy.
I leave my key in my little "garden" tractor (a larger lawn tractor; probably the smallest that can take a factory bucket), and if you think that's a bad idea, you're a paranoid city boy :P

If someone wanted to steal it and I didn't lock the garage door, all they need to do is pop the high/low transfer case into neutral and push it off. That's probably the preferred method, actually, since tractors tend to be loud especially right after startup, and they're not known to be fast or secure getaway vehicles.

The downside of theivin' in the countryside is you never know when you're going to find the homeowner with a gun (who may just be out on the field, not out of town) or a loose dog (200' to any "hidden fence" from my house).

HenryB
Old 20 March 2008, 06:29 PM

Driver

Quote:
start all tractors. Example given was John Deere, making the statement
for all makers?
Yep, true for the most part. They are pretty much grouped by brand and class as has been pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts Myth View Post
Question is, does it apply to other farming equipment? I mean, if you already had one, but then I got a brand new combine harvester, does that make my offering you the keys pointless?
If it's the same class and model then true according to my Dad.

In fact, the local tractor shop near Dad will sell farmers a master key ring he said.

I'm going to be talking with him tonight and he's willing to answer more questions in this department if there are any.
Old 20 March 2008, 06:44 PM

My father collects vintage Fordsons (much to the distress of my mother because he keeps them on the lawn). I must ask him does this apply to his tractors.
Old 20 March 2008, 10:50 PM

Funnily enough, Porsche reputedly did this with one of their racing cars, the 917. Manufacturers were required to build 25 examples for homoligation, and Porsche was a few cars short, having about seventeen complete 917s and the remaining in various states of assembly. They tried to lobby with the CSI to let the car in, as they would just be tearing the cars right back down to prepare them for racing anyway. But the governing body required them to have 25 complete, running examples ready.

Come inspection day, Porsche had 25 identical 917s lined up outside the factory's main building, waiting for the inspection committee. The legend has it that the inspectors didn't believe that all the cars were runners, and asked to start one up. One of Porsche's people calmly stepped up, handed over a key, and told them to pick a car-they all ran on the same key!

-RB
Old 21 March 2008, 12:15 AM

kind of begs the question.. why do these HAVE keys in the first place...
Old 21 March 2008, 12:33 AM

Dad has worked around farm equipment all his life and

Quote:
start all tractors.
False, it is determined by make. The Cat keys for the excavators (round like the Chapman locks but work in like models) are different than the Cat tractors keys. Same as with the John Deere models. Farmall, and Internationals as well.

Dad has an old Ford (midsize) key from the 1970's that still fits the tractors from the 1990's+

However, some older models used individualized keys.

Quote:
Example given was John Deere, making the statement
for all makers?
Once again, mainly true for the most part by model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts Myth
Here's Dad's answer:

Maybe a yes but the problem is that newer ones are being made in China and where he hasn't worked with the newer ones he doesn't know if the cut is the same. Older ones, yes in his experience.

Also, a lot of old, old tractors didn't use keys. They had switches.

Thanks Dad!
Old 20 April 2008, 07:57 PM
AndrewR

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts Myth View Post
It all depends, if you're got 20 acres and I had 43, then we could settle down and drink scrupy to our hearts content.