snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 05 March 2008, 05:30 AM

Vanishing Most of Picasso's paintings were on the Titanic

Comment: A question that I always wondered if it was true that most of
Picasso's original paintings went down with the titanic?
Old 05 March 2008, 10:20 AM

Icon102

It sounds like this urban legend got started thanks to James Cameron's Titanic. According to http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/titanic.php, it's not true:

Quote:
Were any of Pablo Picasso's paintings lost with the Titanic?

No. After Rose (Kate Winslet) boards the ship in the movie, we see her displaying authentic paintings by the then barely-known painter, Pablo Picasso. Cal (Billy Zane) comments that the artist will never amount to anything. This is an obvious point of humor in the movie, but it also raises the question as to whether or not these paintings were in fact part of Titanic history. The answer is no.One of the paintings shown in the movie is Picasso's "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" , which depicts five prostitutes in a brothel. It is currently on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City [N.B. and has been since 1939].
http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1299/corrections/page2 has this to say:

[The paintings were invented for the film and are similar, but not identical, to famous paintings (by Picasso and Monet). This is explicitly stated on the DVD commentary (the special edition).]
Old 05 March 2008, 01:17 PM

What percentage of Picasso's paintings were completed by 1912?
Old 05 March 2008, 04:15 PM

I got the impression that Rose had bought study or preliminary paintings of a young artist. I can't remember the details of Picasso's career but those big name painters make tons more paintings and have a lot more preliminary work than ever makes it into the survey books.
Old 05 March 2008, 04:38 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
What percentage of Picasso's paintings were completed by 1912?
He worked from 1881 until 1973. He was fairly prolific throughout his life. I suppose it's possible that many of his works were lost with the Titantic, but he's certainly created a lot since then.
Old 05 March 2008, 06:38 PM

At least one of his paintings is at the bottom of the Atlantic. The Painter went down with Flight 800 in 1996.
Old 05 March 2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
He worked from 1881 until 1973. He was fairly prolific throughout his life.
He lived from 1881 to 1973, but I'm not sure if he was producing art for all of that time... (Actually he did start quite young; the first named piece mentioned in his potted biography in the Chambers Biographical Dictionary is Barefoot Girl painted in a Barcelona academy in 1895, when he was 14. Something on that page shouts "Hello" at you (I think it's the banner ad) so you might want to mute the sound.)
Old 05 March 2008, 07:02 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
He lived from 1881 to 1973, but I'm not sure if he was producing art for all of that time... (Actually he did start quite young; the first named piece mentioned in his potted biography in the Chambers Biographical Dictionary is Barefoot Girl painted in a Barcelona academy in 1895, when he was 14. Something on that page shouts "Hello" at you (I think it's the banner ad) so you might want to mute the sound.)
That would explain why the Picasso project doesn't have any paintings until 1889 when he created his first 'work' after seeing a bull fight with his father. They have paintings for every other year including 1973 though.
Old 07 March 2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
He lived from 1881 to 1973, but I'm not sure if he was producing art for all of that time...
His last work was done in 1972 (Mr Embra is a huge Picasso know-all). I don't know if Self pottrait was his actual "Last Work" but it is from 1972.

I think one of the most important things about Picasso was that he was hugely prolific. It seems that he was always working (from doddles on apartment walls and restaurant napkins up to murals, ceramics, sculpture, you name it. He never seems to have reached a moment where he said "Yeah, this'll do. I'll just create work that looks like this for the rest of my days..."

I may not enjoy looking at all his stuff, but you can't deny that he was totally engaged in his work.
Old 07 March 2008, 02:22 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embra View Post
His last work was done in 1972 (Mr Embra is a huge Picasso know-all). I don't know if Self pottrait was his actual "Last Work" but it is from 1972...
According to the Picasso project, he did atleat four sketches and a gold medalian in 1973.
Old 08 March 2008, 02:30 AM
Fabala

Given that Picasso was alive and well in 1912, and was still a "young" artist (had only produced for 1/3rd of his career) he still most likely sold his paintings directly to people (or through a gallery that most certainly would have paid him directly). He (or the gallery) probably would have been able to verify that he had sold a large number of paintings to someone whose name ended up on the Titanic "lost" list.

The big key for me in the myth is "paintings", since Picasso did more drawings and partial paintings, and the myth (and scene from Titanic) alludes that there are numerous finished works lost.
Old 10 March 2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post

According to the Picasso project, he did atleat four sketches and a gold medalian in 1973.
I stand corrected!

As an artist himself born in 1972, Mr Embra will be gutted. The flame of artistic endeavour must have passed to some other fello. Hey wait... I was born in 73...
Old 13 March 2008, 08:38 AM

What about the famous painter Picbutto who's buttistance in creating the cubist movement is usually buttumed to be without equal?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Sometimes internet censorship makes me feel very intelligent... (hint: look at the number of results in those searches)
Old 13 March 2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
What about the famous painter Picbutto who's buttistance in creating the cubist movement is usually buttumed to be without equal?

Sometimes internet censorship makes me feel very intelligent... (hint: look at the number of results in those searches)
And this thread is third on the first list.....