snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 04 March 2008, 11:54 PM

Ponder Miracle drink or the latest fad potion?

The multilevel-marketing company XanGo has built a huge business around its mangosteen-based juice, which it promotes as an immunity booster. The company still hasn't proved its health benefits -- which it says could include a stronger immune system and improved joint function -- to skeptical experts.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3879296.story
Old 04 March 2008, 11:59 PM

(I can't get the page to load, so forgive any repeats I've got here)

I've got an aunt that sells some concoction with Acai juice in it. She tried to convince my mother to take it, because it "cures cancer".

After much research, Mom and I determined that the Acai does have many, many benefits, but most of these "super juices" don't reveal how much of what juices they're putting in them. Getting a supply of fresh "super-fruit" or puree, or even a supplement derived directly from the freeze-dried fruits, is much more beneficial. The health benefits of a lot of these fruits isn't what's questionable; it's the juices and the marketing behind them that is. The business my aunt is part of is very, very close to being a pyramid scheme, not to mention a month's supply of the juice is around $200-300, vs. $30 for freeze-dried, powdered Acai in capsulated form.

ETA: A (admittedly biased) source about a juice blend vs. the supplement.

Here's Wiki's page on the acai berry's nutritional content.

I finally got the OP article to load. While the fruit in the OP isn't the acai, I imagine the fruit itself vs. the juice is a similar comparison as Monavie vs. the Acai berry.

Last edited by Auntie Witch; 05 March 2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05 March 2008, 02:31 AM

Quackwatch's take on Mangosteen/ Xango berry juice.

Mangosteen juice
Old 17 March 2009, 05:47 AM

Read This! Pressing Açaí for Answers

Despite the attention, there is little to back up the extravagant claims made on behalf of açaí. While the berry does contain antioxidants — molecules that can slow damage caused by the oxidation of other substances in the body — there are no long-term studies proving that açaí removes wrinkles or, as the various detoxification products claim, cleanses the body of toxins. Nor is there evidence to support dieters’ hopes for a magic fruit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/fashion/12skin.html