Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 29 February 2008, 11:18 PM

Icon101 John Wayne on stupidity

Comment: The actor John Wayne is alledged to have said:

"Life is hard; its harder when you're stupid."

Where and when did he say this? I can't find it in any movie quote. Did
he really say it?
Old 02 March 2008, 05:34 PM

I was just browsing another forum where I saw a reference to this quote. It is from the film (and novel) "The Friends of Eddie Coyle". John Wayne is not in the film, so I am unsure as to how it was attributed to him.
Old 05 March 2008, 02:35 AM

Icon101

Comment: I have often heard that John Wayne, in one of his movies (often
attributed to "The Green berets"), uttered the following: "Life's hard.
It's harder when you're stupid." Try as I might, I have never been able
to find that quote anywhere in a John Wayne movie.
Old 05 March 2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

he really say it?
I think I found the origin of the quote. In Sands of Iwo Jima (1949), John Wayne's character, Sergeant Stryker, says, "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
Old 11 March 2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkulture View Post
It is from the film (and novel) "The Friends of Eddie Coyle". John Wayne is not in the film, so I am unsure as to how it was attributed to him.
I'd alway heard this was a line from a Robert Mitchum movie. Just checked IMDb and the above movie, and it attributes a version of the quote to Jackie Brown's character, not Robert Mitchum's! Now I'm confused.

I've credited Mitchum with the quote, "Kid, life's hard. But it's harder if you're stupid" for many years. Sounds more like a tough guy Mitchum line than a cowboy Wayne quote.
Old 11 March 2008, 05:31 AM

Dog

I did some Internet research on the quote earlier this evening (before falling asleep), and didn't get anywhere. I Googled it; I looked in WikiQuote (and as mentioned previously, IMDb didn't help, saying that Jackie Brown said it, not Robert Mitchum, in Eddie Coyle). Occurs to me now I didn't check out the above John Wayne movie for quotes (at IMDb). Guess I'm still trying to find Robert Mitchum saying it!

Going to hit the sack now, but I've learned from my small efforts that the quote, or variations thereof, has become quite common, and entering it in a search engine yields a lot of hits. Entering it with quotes, surprisingly, may yield none at all.

Perhaps someone else has a quote or movie website that we haven't checked yet...

ETA: I checked the above Sands of Iwo Jima link (which is to IMDb), and I accept that, but I'm still looking for the line, or one like it, in a Robert Mitchum movie. I found it in all sorts of places, but not where I'd hoped, so far!
Old 11 March 2008, 02:09 PM

I don't know who said it, but it's a great line. I typically only use it to refer to myself though. I use it a lot.
Old 12 March 2008, 03:31 AM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by STF View Post
I don't know who said it, but it's a great line. I typically only use it to refer to myself though. I use it a lot.
Yes; no matter who said/wrote it first, it's clever and certainly true!
Old 19 March 2008, 04:19 PM
Dalek Sec

Quote:

he really say it?
I would think life would be easier if you were stupid. You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.
Old 11 January 2009, 02:48 AM
Andrew_P.

Military Not in "Sands of Iwo Jima"

Quote:
Comment: I have often heard that John Wayne, in one of his movies (often
attributed to "The Green berets"), uttered the following: "Life's hard.
It's harder when you're stupid." Try as I might, I have never been able
to find that quote anywhere in a John Wayne movie.
I'd heard that it was from "The Sands of Iwo Jima" (Republic Pictures, 1949). A few years ago I checked out a copy of the movie on VHS cassette from my local public library and watched the movie attentively two or three times, but I never heard John Wayne, nor any other actor, utter that line or anything remotely similar to it. I'm fairly certain the quote did not come from that movie, unless it was edited out of the version on tape.
Old 21 June 2010, 06:52 PM
BEOliver

Default Life is hard. It is harder when you are stupid.

This quote from the Duke came from a dialogue between Dean Martin and John Wayne in his appearance appearance on Dean Martin Show. It was in the context of passing on wisdom to the younger generation.
Old 27 June 2010, 05:16 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEOliver View Post
This quote from the Duke came from a dialogue between Dean Martin and John Wayne in his appearance appearance on Dean Martin Show. It was in the context of passing on wisdom to the younger generation.
Is this something you saw (or remember seeing) or did you hear about it from elsewhere? Because I'm pretty sure this line wasn't attributed to Wayne until the mid-1990s or so. It's tough to figure out, then, how this attribution to Wayne didn't make it into print until long after his death (in 1979). (And, for what it's worth, it's not in this clip of John Wayne's appearance on Martin's show in which he passes on his thoughts for what he wants for his then-baby daughter as she grows up.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkulture View Post
I was just browsing another forum where I saw a reference to this quote. It is from the film (and novel) "The Friends of Eddie Coyle". John Wayne is not in the film, so I am unsure as to how it was attributed to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcitydogdad View Post
I'd alway heard this was a line from a Robert Mitchum movie. Just checked IMDb and the above movie, and it attributes a version of the quote to Jackie Brown's character, not Robert Mitchum's! Now I'm confused.
For what it's worth, George Higgins, author of The Friends of Eddie Coyle (published in 1972), has Jackie Brown saying, "This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid." (In other words, it's not something that Coyle says.)

(For some reason, print ads from June, 1973 for the then-upcoming release of the movie featured the line as "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." This is attributed to "one of the friends of Eddie Coyle.")

-- Bonnie
Old 30 June 2010, 03:27 PM
Andrew_P.

Default Exact quote from "The Friends of Eddie Coyle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcitydogdad View Post

I've credited Mitchum with the quote, "Kid, life's hard. But it's harder if you're stupid" for many years. Sounds more like a tough guy Mitchum line than a cowboy Wayne quote.
I just watched a public library copy of Peter Yates' 1973 film, The Friends of Eddie Coyle (2009 DVD release from Criterion). The line appears at time index 0:49:00, where the character Jackie Brown (played by Steven Keats) says, "This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid!" (The italics are on the emphasized words in the line.)

The movie stars Robert Mitchum, but he's not in the scene where this line is spoken. John Wayne is not in the cast.

This, and the other comments in this thread, should finally put the issue to rest.