snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 01 February 2007, 03:46 AM

Icon09 Ripping labels = sexual frustration

Has anyone everyone ever heard this??? If you rip labels off of a drink..... (soda bottle, juice bottle, Snapple, etc.) it supposedly a sign of sexual frustration! I've heard it from more than one person. (And lately it seems to be true ) I wondered if anyone else has heard this before or of any others.
Old 01 February 2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Has anyone everyone ever heard this??? If you rip labels off of a drink..... (soda bottle, juice bottle, Snapple, etc.) it supposedly a sign of sexual frustration! I've heard it from more than one person. (And lately it seems to be true ) I wondered if anyone else has heard this before or of any others.
I have. I think it is an example of long-running "pub lore" that has very minimal resemblance to reality. I'm 32 this year and it has been around as long as I've been old enough to drink in a bar (18... so that would be 14 years) and I highly doubt it was newly invented then.

It probably stems from the fact that most people see the act of peeling the paper label off a bottle as a sign of anxiety and a lot of people also believe sex relieves anxiety... ergo, if you're peeling the labels you're obviously not getting laid.
Old 01 February 2007, 06:35 AM

Oh dear, I'd never heard of this, and I almost always peel labels* - always have. It's definitely not due to any kind of frustration, but it could explain some of the amused looks and comments, I suppose.

Primarily from beer bottles, but any sticker will do.
Old 01 February 2007, 06:40 AM
Morrs_Raven

Quote:
I've heard that as well, though it changed a bit once I got into college.

If you were able to sucessfully peel the label off your beer, it was a sure bet that you were getting laid that night. I can't recall how many times I heard whoops of drunken triumph followed by a waving that silly piece of paper in the air.
Old 01 February 2007, 10:02 AM

Heh, there are a good 50 ways of spotting the sexually frustrated in a pub long before you start getting Freudian with label picking.

Picking labels indicates a manually dexterous individual, an individual who has recently quit smoking or somebody who is just really really bored by the poor excuse for company that they are having to endure
Old 01 February 2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I tend to play with the beermats. What does this indicate?
Old 01 February 2007, 11:08 AM

Playing with beermats is the pint-drinkers version of picking at bottle labels - exactly the same thing - if you idly pick and peel a soggy mat it's a sign of frustrated dexterity or boredom/agitation - it's also a sure sign the drinker has had at least three.

If you frissbee them around the pub or pick them to pieces creating a huge mess this indicates you are a wanker!
Old 01 February 2007, 12:17 PM

Frying Pan

I rip the labels off of bottles all the time.

But it's not because of sexual frustration.

I just don't believe in labels.
Old 01 February 2007, 12:19 PM

I heard that if a guy rips off labels and uses his, uh, doesn't use his hands to do it, if you know what I mean, that's a definite indicator.
Old 01 February 2007, 12:21 PM
Unklesam

Ahhh yes the old label peeler. Not too much trouble, however if you are having a vodka tonic and crunch your ice, while peeling the label of your friends beer...thats a sure sign it has been at least several calendar months since you did the wild thing.
Old 01 February 2007, 01:02 PM

What I was told is that playing with candles (as in peeling of wax drops, shaping the tip and things like that) is a sign of sexual frustration. Never heard about peeling off labels.

Don "sometimes a candle is just a candle" Enrico
Old 01 February 2007, 01:51 PM
Vanilla Gorilla

So does stacking empty shot/cocktail glasses into pyramid shapes count as being sexually frustrated...or is it more like Close Encounters where I am actually trying to find that place where I will be taken aboard the mothership.
Old 01 February 2007, 03:10 PM

DH will be very amused to hear about this label thing, since not only do I peel off labels, I also stick them on my forehead and announce to him that I'm on the patch! In truth, I only peel labels if I didn't bring my book. He and his friend talk technical computer stuff, and I can only smile and nod for so long before pulling out a book.
Old 01 February 2007, 03:19 PM

What level of sexual frustration is indicated if you start scraping the paint off a coke can with your fingernails?
Old 01 February 2007, 03:59 PM

I never peel labels...of course, I don't usually drink out of bottles, either.

Eddy-level 3.

Morrigan
Old 01 February 2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
What I was told is that playing with candles (as in peeling of wax drops, shaping the tip and things like that) is a sign of sexual frustration. Never heard about peeling off labels.

Don "sometimes a candle is just a candle" Enrico
Oh great. I do that too.

So... Is there anything out there that doesn't indicate sexual frustration? Because, well, it seems that all my little habits are sending the wrong message... :o
Old 01 February 2007, 04:26 PM
Giselle

I wonder if its a regional thing. Growing up in Indiana , chewing ice meant sexual frustration.
Old 01 February 2007, 05:34 PM
Deepfrydegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
...somebody who is just really really bored by the poor excuse for company that they are having to endure
Hey wait a second!!! I get MORE interesting as I drink. In fact I get smarter, funnier, I can dance better, sing better, become 10 feet tall and bullet-proof, I am quieter and I can become invisble!!!
Old 01 February 2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateslife View Post
DH will be very amused to hear about this label thing, since not only do I peel off labels, I also stick them on my forehead and announce to him that I'm on the patch! In truth, I only peel labels if I didn't bring my book. He and his friend talk technical computer stuff, and I can only smile and nod for so long before pulling out a book.
My DW does the exact same thing. in fact... she pulled that on a cop as whe was walking home one drunken night. the cop came up to them as they were stumbling home, and asked if they had been drinking, and she said "No occifer i'm on the patch" showing her the label attached to her forehead from earlier on in the night...

she only lived a block from the bar at the time, and the cop let them on their way as soon as he determined they weren't causing trouble.
Old 01 February 2007, 06:09 PM

Default I'll tell you how that legend started

It was started by bartenders, waitstaff, and bus boys who have to clean up all those little dribbles of paper. Oh, and don't think I didn't see you stuff them down in the cushions.