snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 31 January 2007, 04:08 PM
Monza305

Default Hay can cause barn fires?

There was a friend of one of my co-workers here this morning. They were talking about keeping your outside dog warm. He said to put hay into their doghouse, because hay produces heat. He then said that his uncle's barn burned down twice because of hay spontaneously combusting. Wet hay is even worse, he said. It just produces so much heat that it catches on fire.

This sounds like a load of mularkey to me. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 31 January 2007, 04:12 PM

Yes.

http://www.aces.edu/dept/forages/hay/hayfires.html

Morrigan
Old 31 January 2007, 04:13 PM
lazerus the duck

As far as I know it's true hay mulches like compost and the right mix of dry and wet hay can cause combustion.

edit: Ah spanked by morrigan
Old 31 January 2007, 04:26 PM
Monza305

Well I'll be...

I figured too much moisture would be bad for fire starting.

You learn something new every day.
Old 31 January 2007, 04:29 PM

One of my instructors used to be a fire investigator and ran across a few incidents of barns catching fire due to hay bales. One time he leaned up against one during what they thought was an arson and realized the heat was coming from inside the bale itself. Turned out not to be an intentionally-set fire after all.
Old 31 January 2007, 05:43 PM

Yep, it happens. When there's a powerout during the hay harvesting season, the farmers get nervous because the fans that dry the hay stop and if they are not restarted, a fire is likely. I suspect that with the modern fans, a different storage method (compared to pre-industrial) is used that works fine as long as the fans work, but not when they stop.
Old 31 January 2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza305 View Post
Well I'll be...

I figured too much moisture would be bad for fire starting.

You learn something new every day.
If you read the article closely, you will see that it is wet hay that is tightly bundled. This results in anaerobisis in the middle of the hay bale. I suspect that methane (or other combustibles) are produced by bacteria using anaerobic metabolism.

If you spread the hay out on the floor of the dog house (and change it regularly), it shouldn't be a problem.

You will still have to watch out for dog farts though.
Old 31 January 2007, 06:14 PM

Re: dog bedding, my brother has used cedar bedding, the kind that's used for small animals, in his doghouse. It's warm and soft and it makes the dog smell like cedar.
Old 31 January 2007, 06:20 PM
Griffin2020

If the hay is properly dried before baling, this is not really an issue. As Troberg said, it is the moisture in the hay that causes the heating (dry hay will not spontaneously combust).
Old 31 January 2007, 06:33 PM

Yup, it happens. Granddad also set up a little lumber mill on his farm and raked up a huge pile of sawdust. I remember some of the kids were walking past it one day and my cousin said, "That thing's smoking. This was in the pre-Mask days, and he was being literal--white smoke was curling out of this fifteen-foot high pile of sawdust. It had caught fire at its core, and we had to rake the whole thing down and pour water on it to put out the smolder, a mass of glowing red wood leavings.
Old 31 January 2007, 07:33 PM

Oh, cool! My suspicions about the compost heap are confirmed! My parents kept a massive compost heap when I was a kid, and whenever we'd go out to turn it, I was always amazed at the heat that would come out of the thing. It would get especially hot when they put the grass clippings in there. I mean, it was hot to the touch and steamy! My dad (an ag engineer FWIW) told me the grass got hotter because of the higher nitrogen in it.
Old 31 January 2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Yup, it happens. Granddad also set up a little lumber mill on his farm and raked up a huge pile of sawdust. I remember some of the kids were walking past it one day and my cousin said, "That thing's smoking. This was in the pre-Mask days, and he was being literal--white smoke was curling out of this fifteen-foot high pile of sawdust. It had caught fire at its core, and we had to rake the whole thing down and pour water on it to put out the smolder, a mass of glowing red wood leavings.
Something similar happened at a childhood friend's home. They had a hay stack which suddenly started smoking, so the family ran out, raked it all down to spread it out, and put out the fire in the center.

Avril
Old 31 January 2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
Oh, cool! My suspicions about the compost heap are confirmed! My parents kept a massive compost heap when I was a kid, and whenever we'd go out to turn it, I was always amazed at the heat that would come out of the thing. It would get especially hot when they put the grass clippings in there. I mean, it was hot to the touch and steamy! My dad (an ag engineer FWIW) told me the grass got hotter because of the higher nitrogen in it.
Actually, the heat was a sign that the compost pile was working. It was actually, though, ddue to the breakdown of the cellulose by fungi. Lots of metabolic activity in the middle. The ecology of compost piles is actually quite interesting. Well to me at least. Because I am, like, a nerd.
Old 31 January 2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Re: dog bedding, my brother has used cedar bedding, the kind that's used for small animals, in his doghouse. It's warm and soft and it makes the dog smell like cedar.
They're better for dog bedding than straw because the cedar chips repel fleas.

Morrigan
Old 31 January 2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
Actually, the heat was a sign that the compost pile was working. It was actually, though, ddue to the breakdown of the cellulose by fungi. Lots of metabolic activity in the middle. The ecology of compost piles is actually quite interesting. Well to me at least. Because I am, like, a nerd.
Oh, I know! I did a 4-H project on compost heaps when I was a kid (yeah, I'm a nerd, too), and I was delighted to feel that they actually did heat up!

What about the higher heat coming off grass clippings, though? Could that be caused by the higher nitrogen content in grass vs. banana peels and coffee grounds? It would make sense that the higher nitrogen would spur faster/more robust fungal growth, but there are lots of things that would make sense, but aren't so.
Old 01 February 2007, 12:39 PM

Baseball

This reminds me, that years ago, I was really into Green bulding practices, and the idea that hay bales decomposing put off a significant amount of heat, led me to sketch up a few designs for a hay bale, and other mulch, furnaces to heat a house. The idea that you could just put a bale in, introduce microrganisms and moisture, and get free heat really had me going. Then I thought about the fact that the primary emission from the furnace would be methane, and I started to look at how the methane could be captured also.

Then something shiney caught my attention, and I never did return to the idea.

At the price of gas, maybe I need to go see if I can find those sketches.
Old 01 February 2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Mike Night View Post
This reminds me, that years ago, I was really into Green bulding practices, and the idea that hay bales decomposing put off a significant amount of heat, led me to sketch up a few designs for a hay bale, and other mulch, furnaces to heat a house. The idea that you could just put a bale in, introduce microrganisms and moisture, and get free heat really had me going. Then I thought about the fact that the primary emission from the furnace would be methane, and I started to look at how the methane could be captured also.
I can reveal too much, but there are several renewable energy proposals based on this sort of thing. Far more sophisticated, of course.

Breaking down cellulose in hay releases a lot of heat. Which is also why you get more heat when you burn cellose-containing stuff instead of, say, glucose.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:23 AM

Happens to coal mine slag-heaps, too. There are a couple in Wales that smouldered for years.

Oh, and oil shale cliffs http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/kimfire.htm.
Old 02 February 2007, 02:57 PM

On a note related to High Eight's post, there's been an underground fire for years over in Centralia, Penn. They figure it'll burn for more than 400 years longer.

Morrigan
Old 02 February 2007, 03:13 PM

The official report for a fire at the primary school at which my mum works identified 'spontaneous combustion' of a pile of clothing as the cause of a fire. (The fire began in a locked cupboard)