snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03 February 2008, 11:21 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 107,977
Icon07 Gargling doesn't work

Comment: After many arguments over the years, I submit gargling is
completely ineffective for sore throat, or anything having to do with
throat ailments. Due to the fact that none of the liquid gargled ever gets
to the throat, it stays in the mouth, and never reaches the throat or
windpipe.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04 February 2008, 02:32 AM
rhiandmoi's Avatar
rhiandmoi rhiandmoi is offline
 
Join Date: 27 July 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 12,723
Default

I don't know how this person gargles, or for what reason they are gargling. But I have lived through the searing pain of many many salt water gargles, and while I don't think it does any good, the salt water did get into my throat. I think if you aren't in danger of drowning you aren't gargling right.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04 February 2008, 02:51 AM
Dropbear's Avatar
Dropbear Dropbear is offline
 
Join Date: 03 June 2005
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 7,103
Default

I used to keep a bottle of blended scotch for gargling when I was getting a sore throat - it worked a treat.

(I used blended scotch so I wouldn't be inclined to swallow)

Dropbear
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04 February 2008, 02:56 AM
nancyfancypants's Avatar
nancyfancypants nancyfancypants is offline
 
Join Date: 27 July 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA area
Posts: 1,717
Default

As booze goes, I like Rock & Rye for a sore throat. Yes, DropBear, I swallow it.

As for gargling, I only did a salt water gargle once; it helped a little, but not much. To really get rid of the pain fast, I gargle a little Cepacol, and that numbs it pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04 February 2008, 03:07 AM
Sara@home's Avatar
Sara@home Sara@home is offline
 
Join Date: 18 March 2004
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 12,469
Default

What is gargling suppose to do for a sore throat?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04 February 2008, 06:59 AM
Tantei Kid's Avatar
Tantei Kid Tantei Kid is offline
 
Join Date: 10 March 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,627
Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@home View Post
What is gargling suppose to do for a sore throat?
The salt in the water is supposed to numb the pain. It was never super effective for me though. It sounds like alcohol might work better.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04 February 2008, 07:08 AM
mags's Avatar
mags mags is online now
 
Join Date: 23 February 2006
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 5,024
Default

At the university I attended, nearly every time someone visited the campus clinic, they were sent away with a small paper envelope of salt for gargling. It was like a miracle cure-all I guess. I don't know of anyone who actually took the suggestion of gargling with it.

Considering what we mostly were going there for was viral (colds, etc), it's better than giving antibiotics, but it was always pretty frustruating to go there, wait for forever (first you wait in the waiting room, then they finally call your name, and you go... to another waiting room farther inside. I don't get it either), and come out with frikken salt. Yes, because salt on something that is irritated, like a sore throat, is so effective.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04 February 2008, 07:24 AM
Troodon Troodon is offline
 
Join Date: 06 January 2004
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 8,078
Default

I gargle with baking soda; I was told that it kills germs.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04 February 2008, 04:03 PM
landmammal landmammal is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2006
Location: California
Posts: 955
Default

I thought it was supposed to work because it draws the excess fluid out of the inflamed tissue. I tried it once, but didn't actually gargle because it tasted so bad I spat it out right away.

My friend tried gargling with pickle juice once (she didn't have any salt) and she said her throat felt better for a few hours afterward.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04 February 2008, 04:11 PM
Embra's Avatar
Embra Embra is offline
 
Join Date: 01 June 2000
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 7,695
Default

mr Embra had his wisdom teeth out before xmas, and as well as antibiotics and painkillers post-op, he was advised to use a saltwater mouthwash.

Is it not for the disinfectant properties of the salt water? The same reason that my mum made me hold my foot in a basin of freshly boiled water with salt stirred in when I was little because I'd got a septic toenail?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04 February 2008, 04:21 PM
Dr. Dave Dr. Dave is offline
 
Join Date: 28 June 2005
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 4,264
Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@home View Post
What is gargling suppose to do for a sore throat?

Wash away pus on the tonsils (if there is any); thin mucus from post-nasal drainage in the throat (oral pharynx really- the part of the throat you can see when you say "ahh." If one gargles on the larynx (vocal cords) one will have a coughing fit or worse.) Which is why the relief only lasts a short while.

Gargleing with alcohol containing mouthwash (or booze) provides anesthtic, also short-term.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04 February 2008, 04:22 PM
snapdragonfly's Avatar
snapdragonfly snapdragonfly is offline
 
Join Date: 15 March 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,734
Default

I do gargle with warm salt water when I have a sore throat: so does everyone in my family and we ALL get some relief from it. Sometimes it just about clears it up completely (generally in the case of allergy misery) and sometimes just for a while.


I believe the warm salt water is soothing and sort of healing to the tissues - I don't know why - I know that when I was a girl and lived on the coast, if we went to the beach, at the end of the day any sores or cuts were signficantly better than they would have been in the same time period spent not in the salt water. Also we went to Hot Springs, AR last summer and I spent three days almost constantly in the natural spring hot tub at the Arlington, which has so much naturally occuring baking soda in it that it that you can tell you are more bouyant and it makes bubbles on your skin like 7-Up; when we left, several irritating breakouts and rashy things I'd been battling for MONTHS were cleared up. And stayed cleared up for a long time. (gradually came back very slightly - I wish I had that particular hot tub in my back yard! That thing feels SOOOO good!!)

If it "tastes awful" to gargle with it, you are using too much salt, perhaps.

I don't know how or why it works but it usually does provide a measure of relief; has no potential harmful side effects; and is cheap.

Worth trying.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04 February 2008, 08:49 PM
Hip Zu Hip Zu is offline
 
Join Date: 12 December 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 103
Default University of Dayton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
At the university I attended, nearly every time someone visited the campus clinic, they were sent away with a small paper envelope of salt for gargling. It was like a miracle cure-all I guess. I don't know of anyone who actually took the suggestion of gargling with it.

Considering what we mostly were going there for was viral (colds, etc), it's better than giving antibiotics, but it was always pretty frustruating to go there, wait for forever (first you wait in the waiting room, then they finally call your name, and you go... to another waiting room farther inside. I don't get it either), and come out with frikken salt. Yes, because salt on something that is irritated, like a sore throat, is so effective.
Sounds like you're a fellow Flyer?

- Hip Zu
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04 February 2008, 10:30 PM
Chickee Daizy's Avatar
Chickee Daizy Chickee Daizy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Elk City, OK
Posts: 1,139
Default

I gargle with salt water, and it does seem to help. I always thought that it was because salt kind of cleansed the affected area and reduced the swelling.

I have heard that for a sore throat, it helps if one makes jello and while it is still warm and liquidy drinks it. Supposedly, it coats the throat and offers a lot of relief, plus the warmth of it helps. Never tried that one though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05 February 2008, 12:28 AM
tagurit's Avatar
tagurit tagurit is offline
 
Join Date: 24 March 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 14,057
Default

I gargle EVERY morning with warm, not hot, water. Just water from the tap. I believe it does wonders for me. I rarely get sick. Normal saline solution is the only thing I think might work a little better than plain water. I think anything else irritates the throat's lining. Though, I'm not a doctor, don't play one on tv, and haven't stayed at a red roof inn recently. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16 September 2008, 01:10 AM
dandv
 
Posts: n/a
Ambulance Scientific confirmation

From http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...011.Me.r.html:

Quote:
Gargling with salt water helps to kill bacteria and prevent infection.
The salt water sets up a hypertonic environment; water rushes out of the
bacterium by osmosis, killing the bacterium.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16 September 2008, 04:27 PM
Tarquin Farquart's Avatar
Tarquin Farquart Tarquin Farquart is offline
 
Join Date: 20 November 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 16,354
Default

I quite enjoy gargling - when else do you get to make noises like that?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16 September 2008, 04:32 PM
Artemis's Avatar
Artemis Artemis is offline
 
Join Date: 08 October 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 6,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Considering what we mostly were going there for was viral (colds, etc), it's better than giving antibiotics, but it was always pretty frustruating to go there, wait for forever (first you wait in the waiting room, then they finally call your name, and you go... to another waiting room farther inside. I don't get it either), and come out with frikken salt. Yes, because salt on something that is irritated, like a sore throat, is so effective.
People go to the doctor for colds? I've heard of this, but...seriously? I've never actually known anyone who did this. What are they going to do for you?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16 September 2008, 07:06 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 65,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: After many arguments over the years, I submit gargling is
completely ineffective for sore throat, or anything having to do with
throat ailments. Due to the fact that none of the liquid gargled ever gets
to the throat, it stays in the mouth, and[B] never reaches the throat or
windpipe.[/B
]
Um, sore throats don't, IME, affect the "windpipe," and I certainly hope that whatever liquid one gargles with doesn't reach the "windpipe."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18 September 2008, 04:11 PM
quiltsbypam's Avatar
quiltsbypam quiltsbypam is offline
 
Join Date: 21 November 2006
Location: Cayuga County, NY
Posts: 8,008
Default

The other thing I've heard of for sore throats is eating buttered and salted popcorn.

It seems to help a little bit. Plus, I really, really like popcorn, so any excuse is ok by me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.