Old 03 February 2008, 11:21 PM

Icon07 Gargling doesn't work

Comment: After many arguments over the years, I submit gargling is
completely ineffective for sore throat, or anything having to do with
throat ailments. Due to the fact that none of the liquid gargled ever gets
to the throat, it stays in the mouth, and never reaches the throat or
windpipe.
Old 04 February 2008, 02:32 AM

I don't know how this person gargles, or for what reason they are gargling. But I have lived through the searing pain of many many salt water gargles, and while I don't think it does any good, the salt water did get into my throat. I think if you aren't in danger of drowning you aren't gargling right.
Old 04 February 2008, 02:51 AM

I used to keep a bottle of blended scotch for gargling when I was getting a sore throat - it worked a treat.

(I used blended scotch so I wouldn't be inclined to swallow)

Dropbear
Old 04 February 2008, 02:56 AM

As booze goes, I like Rock & Rye for a sore throat. Yes, DropBear, I swallow it.

As for gargling, I only did a salt water gargle once; it helped a little, but not much. To really get rid of the pain fast, I gargle a little Cepacol, and that numbs it pretty quickly.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:07 AM

What is gargling suppose to do for a sore throat?
Old 04 February 2008, 06:59 AM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@home View Post
The salt in the water is supposed to numb the pain. It was never super effective for me though. It sounds like alcohol might work better.
Old 04 February 2008, 07:08 AM

At the university I attended, nearly every time someone visited the campus clinic, they were sent away with a small paper envelope of salt for gargling. It was like a miracle cure-all I guess. I don't know of anyone who actually took the suggestion of gargling with it.

Considering what we mostly were going there for was viral (colds, etc), it's better than giving antibiotics, but it was always pretty frustruating to go there, wait for forever (first you wait in the waiting room, then they finally call your name, and you go... to another waiting room farther inside. I don't get it either), and come out with frikken salt. Yes, because salt on something that is irritated, like a sore throat, is so effective.
Old 04 February 2008, 07:24 AM

I gargle with baking soda; I was told that it kills germs.
Old 04 February 2008, 04:03 PM

I thought it was supposed to work because it draws the excess fluid out of the inflamed tissue. I tried it once, but didn't actually gargle because it tasted so bad I spat it out right away.

My friend tried gargling with pickle juice once (she didn't have any salt) and she said her throat felt better for a few hours afterward.
Old 04 February 2008, 04:11 PM

mr Embra had his wisdom teeth out before xmas, and as well as antibiotics and painkillers post-op, he was advised to use a saltwater mouthwash.

Is it not for the disinfectant properties of the salt water? The same reason that my mum made me hold my foot in a basin of freshly boiled water with salt stirred in when I was little because I'd got a septic toenail?
Old 04 February 2008, 04:21 PM

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@home View Post

Wash away pus on the tonsils (if there is any); thin mucus from post-nasal drainage in the throat (oral pharynx really- the part of the throat you can see when you say "ahh." If one gargles on the larynx (vocal cords) one will have a coughing fit or worse.) Which is why the relief only lasts a short while.

Gargleing with alcohol containing mouthwash (or booze) provides anesthtic, also short-term.
Old 04 February 2008, 04:22 PM

I do gargle with warm salt water when I have a sore throat: so does everyone in my family and we ALL get some relief from it. Sometimes it just about clears it up completely (generally in the case of allergy misery) and sometimes just for a while.

I believe the warm salt water is soothing and sort of healing to the tissues - I don't know why - I know that when I was a girl and lived on the coast, if we went to the beach, at the end of the day any sores or cuts were signficantly better than they would have been in the same time period spent not in the salt water. Also we went to Hot Springs, AR last summer and I spent three days almost constantly in the natural spring hot tub at the Arlington, which has so much naturally occuring baking soda in it that it that you can tell you are more bouyant and it makes bubbles on your skin like 7-Up; when we left, several irritating breakouts and rashy things I'd been battling for MONTHS were cleared up. And stayed cleared up for a long time. (gradually came back very slightly - I wish I had that particular hot tub in my back yard! That thing feels SOOOO good!!)

If it "tastes awful" to gargle with it, you are using too much salt, perhaps.

I don't know how or why it works but it usually does provide a measure of relief; has no potential harmful side effects; and is cheap.

Worth trying.
Old 04 February 2008, 08:49 PM

Default University of Dayton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
At the university I attended, nearly every time someone visited the campus clinic, they were sent away with a small paper envelope of salt for gargling. It was like a miracle cure-all I guess. I don't know of anyone who actually took the suggestion of gargling with it.

Considering what we mostly were going there for was viral (colds, etc), it's better than giving antibiotics, but it was always pretty frustruating to go there, wait for forever (first you wait in the waiting room, then they finally call your name, and you go... to another waiting room farther inside. I don't get it either), and come out with frikken salt. Yes, because salt on something that is irritated, like a sore throat, is so effective.
Sounds like you're a fellow Flyer?

- Hip Zu
Old 04 February 2008, 10:30 PM

I gargle with salt water, and it does seem to help. I always thought that it was because salt kind of cleansed the affected area and reduced the swelling.

I have heard that for a sore throat, it helps if one makes jello and while it is still warm and liquidy drinks it. Supposedly, it coats the throat and offers a lot of relief, plus the warmth of it helps. Never tried that one though.
Old 05 February 2008, 12:28 AM

I gargle EVERY morning with warm, not hot, water. Just water from the tap. I believe it does wonders for me. I rarely get sick. Normal saline solution is the only thing I think might work a little better than plain water. I think anything else irritates the throat's lining. Though, I'm not a doctor, don't play one on tv, and haven't stayed at a red roof inn recently. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 16 September 2008, 01:10 AM
dandv

Ambulance Scientific confirmation

From http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...011.Me.r.html:

Quote:
Gargling with salt water helps to kill bacteria and prevent infection.
The salt water sets up a hypertonic environment; water rushes out of the
bacterium by osmosis, killing the bacterium.
Old 16 September 2008, 04:27 PM

I quite enjoy gargling - when else do you get to make noises like that?
Old 16 September 2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
People go to the doctor for colds? I've heard of this, but...seriously? I've never actually known anyone who did this. What are they going to do for you?
Old 16 September 2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: After many arguments over the years, I submit gargling is
completely ineffective for sore throat, or anything having to do with
throat ailments. Due to the fact that none of the liquid gargled ever gets
to the throat, it stays in the mouth, and[B] never reaches the throat or
windpipe.[/B
]
Um, sore throats don't, IME, affect the "windpipe," and I certainly hope that whatever liquid one gargles with doesn't reach the "windpipe."
Old 18 September 2008, 04:11 PM

The other thing I've heard of for sore throats is eating buttered and salted popcorn.

It seems to help a little bit. Plus, I really, really like popcorn, so any excuse is ok by me.