snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 23 January 2008, 04:56 PM

Icon23 Watch out for those green ones

The maker of M&Ms wants to release a bag of greens-only candies to cash in on an urban legend about the romantic power of the colored chocolates.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/d...1/23/green_mms
Old 23 January 2008, 04:57 PM

Icon105 M&m'sŪ Chocolate Candies Go Green Just In Time For Valentine's Day

Mars Snackfood U.S. is proclaiming green the new color of love this Valentine's Day as the brand celebrates the myths, rumors and innuendo surrounding green M&M'SŪ Chocolate Candies. In support of this bold and fun declaration, retail establishments across the country will display limited edition all-green M&M'SŪ amidst a sea of traditional red and pink products. Consumers can find the all-green M&M'SŪ in packages from January 2008 through the Valentine's holiday.

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/mars/31278/
Old 23 January 2008, 05:02 PM

I know this is true, because I knew a guy in high school who was horny all the time and he did eat green M&M's.

Old 23 January 2008, 05:21 PM

Am I the only one who remembers the M&M ad from the 80s, where the Green M&M had a completely different meaning?

(although, thinking about it now it could be)

Anyway, these kids were playing baseball, and their team was up to bat and they were eating M&Ms on the bench. and the one kid was saying how one colour was a single, another a double, another a triple, but the green one was a home run... and then the kid he was telling this to said "I'm up, quick give me a green one" "only one green one left, that's for me, here's a triple"

now, with the common baseball reference to romance. but I never thought of that until i actually wrote that down.
Old 23 January 2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the M&M ad from the 80s, where the Green M&M had a completely different meaning?

Anyway, these kids were playing baseball, and their team was up to bat and they were eating M&Ms on the bench. and the one kid was saying how one colour was a single, another a double, another a triple, but the green one was a home run... and then the kid he was telling this to said "I'm up, quick give me a green one" "only one green one left, that's for me, here's a triple"

now, with the common baseball reference to romance. but I never thought of that until i actually wrote that down.
I think I was in junior high or high school when that advert was on, and we definitely fit the colors of M&Ms to the "alternate" baseball terminology.

-RB
Old 23 January 2008, 05:44 PM

I already bought myself a bag of them, it's quite fun to have nothing but green M&M's to eat.

Green has long been my favorite color, I'm actually a bit OCD about it.
Old 23 January 2008, 05:46 PM
KKHB

Quote:

I never saw this ad (or many others). Just one of the joys of growing up overseas I guess. But I was elementary school aged in the 80's and we all knew about green m&ms. That was just common knowledge as far as we were concerned, even if none of us could tell you why.

The color green itself (even without the candy) was suspect for the same reason- I was in college before I could wear a green shirt without a bunch of juvenile humor involved and even then it was iffy.
Old 23 January 2008, 05:47 PM

So this isn't the urban legend where green M&Ms make you sterile, then?
Old 23 January 2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
In support of this bold and fun declaration, retail establishments across the country will display limited edition all-green M&M'SŪ amidst a sea of traditional red and pink products.
Brilliant marketing.
Old 23 January 2008, 06:09 PM
KKHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancastrian View Post
So this isn't the urban legend where green M&Ms make you sterile, then?
Never heard that one, I thought Mountain Dew was supposed to make men sterile. You know, to control the African American population or something...
Old 23 January 2008, 06:11 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKHB View Post
Never heard that one, I thought Mountain Dew was supposed to make men sterile. You know, to control the African American population or something...
African American? Don't you mean the gamer population?
Old 23 January 2008, 06:42 PM
KKHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
That was just an unintended side effect. Everyone knows that Mountain Dew was only meant to be consumed by the African Americans, the gamers done went and stole it!

Or maybe it was that the sterility only affected African American males for some reason... I am certain that legend had racial overtones in some form.
Old 23 January 2008, 11:51 PM

Wel, according to their website, they can supply 22 different colours (including 4 varieties of green)
Old 23 January 2008, 11:56 PM

Awesome! As I kid I was completely unaware of any hidden meaning in M&Ms, but I liked the green ones just because of the color. I always ate them first. I left the brown ones behind because they were boring.

An entire bag full of green ones? AWESOME!
Old 24 January 2008, 03:43 AM
MissBethiepoo

I thought they put out the green ones for St. Patrick's Day, but I guess since they won't be around that long...sheesh...
Old 24 January 2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
The gamer population doesn't need the help of Mountain Dew to keep from procreating - their personalities are enough.
Old 24 January 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
The gamer population doesn't need the help of Mountain Dew to keep from procreating - their personalities are enough.
Fox News calls it the Mass(turbate) Effect.

But I'm a gamer, mate, and it didn't stop me procreating. MrsHobbit knew all games came with a"pause" button.
Old 24 January 2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
But I'm a gamer, mate, and it didn't stop me procreating. MrsHobbit knew all games came with a"pause" button.
Yeah, but you're also naked most of the time. Sooner or later it was inevitable you would breed.
Old 26 January 2008, 02:53 AM
cageboy

Quote:

That was my first idea "why is baseball NFBSK?".

Oh, and did any guys around 18 need a green pill to feel horny? My house was like a never-ending game of whack-a-mole. If anything I would have loved a sexual sedative.
Old 26 January 2008, 02:56 PM

Saved time.

We never knew how long a cutscene would last.