snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07 January 2008, 03:29 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,346
No Cat microwaved to death

Four teens who recently broke into a home put a cat in a microwave and cooked it to death, police said.

The horrific animal torture has sent shockwaves through the city southeast of Edmonton and animal rights activists are demanding the teens be immediately examined by a psychiatrist.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Albe...4/4753139.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07 January 2008, 04:07 AM
Ariadne's Avatar
Ariadne Ariadne is offline
 
Join Date: 02 March 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,410
Default

Ugh. I am going to stop myself and not read this article. This reminds me of a story posted here awhile back about someone breaking into a home and putting a cat in the oven. My biggest fear about someone breaking into our home is that they will hurt the cats.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07 January 2008, 04:53 AM
Lady Neeva
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Join the club, I think we should have t-shirts. I'm not worried that someone will break in and steal everything we own... I could live with that. It would suck, but material objects are replaceable. Living creatures aren't.

Those kids need serious psychological help... thats just sick.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07 January 2008, 05:45 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Save the psych assessment. Just microwave the teens to death. Even in their own homes animals are not safe.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07 January 2008, 09:18 PM
Syllavus's Avatar
Syllavus Syllavus is offline
 
Join Date: 01 June 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,556
Default

Geez. I'm not going to feel quite right until I get home tonight and know my two kitties are safe.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07 January 2008, 09:33 PM
FullMetal FullMetal is offline
 
Join Date: 19 December 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,233
Default

Yeah heard that on the radio this morning.

Whats worse is the mothers defending their children. one of the kids is on probation for burning his brother. the mother's defence on that "oh he was just throwing out the gasoline and it caught fire"

The kid's a psychopath, and needs help. apparently there's facebook groups up already to get them tried as adults, and advocating other harsher immediate (non judicial) punishments.

I hope that at least the kid with the record gets tried as an adult. not sure about the records of the other 3 kids, but that one needs help now!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08 January 2008, 12:51 AM
inkiemouse
 
Posts: n/a
Icon06

I'm also not going to read the actual article...
I think this warrants more than a "cruelty to animals" charge, though. I don't know what else they could be charged with, but there must be something more severe.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08 January 2008, 01:53 AM
lord_feldon's Avatar
lord_feldon lord_feldon is offline
 
Join Date: 08 August 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkiemouse View Post
I'm also not going to read the actual article...
I think this warrants more than a "cruelty to animals" charge, though. I don't know what else they could be charged with, but there must be something more severe.
Unless there's some kind of "aggravated cruelty," I doubt there's anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08 January 2008, 05:27 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Makes me want password protection on microwave ovens.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08 January 2008, 05:36 AM
lord_feldon's Avatar
lord_feldon lord_feldon is offline
 
Join Date: 08 August 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,283
Default

I should also say that this is why Schrödinger's theories should not be discussed with children. They take too many things literally.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08 January 2008, 08:48 PM
TrishDaDish's Avatar
TrishDaDish TrishDaDish is offline
 
Join Date: 22 February 2004
Location: Portsmouth, RI
Posts: 7,651
Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkiemouse View Post
I'm also not going to read the actual article...
I think this warrants more than a "cruelty to animals" charge, though. I don't know what else they could be charged with, but there must be something more severe.
The last paragraph in the article states:

Quote:
Police say each of the teens allegedly involved in microwaving the Camrose cat face a litany of charges, including unlawfully killing an animal, causing unnecessary pain and suffering to an animal, breaking and entering, theft, and possession of stolen property.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09 January 2008, 12:10 AM
Jelly Bean Queen
 
Posts: n/a
Flame

I don't think I could bear knowing that one of my dear sweet kitties suffered so horribly. I hope the owners of the cat sue the parents of these monsters for the emotional damage they must be suffering over the horrifying loss of a family member.

Maybe the threat of financial loss might make them do something about their satan's spawn children.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09 January 2008, 05:50 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Bean Queen View Post
I don't think I could bear knowing that one of my dear sweet kitties suffered so horribly. I hope the owners of the cat sue the parents of these monsters for the emotional damage they must be suffering over the horrifying loss of a family member.

Maybe the threat of financial loss might make them do something about their satan's spawn children.
I still vote for microwaving the perpetrators to death. It bothers me that they have so little respect for life and they may well continue along that path and abuse humans. We really, really don't need that sort of individual in society.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11 January 2008, 12:32 AM
Ezri
 
Posts: n/a
Default

That's horrible, I didn't read the actual article but I mean I can't imagine my dear sweet Olivia being put in a microwave....isn't killing animals like the first sign of a homicidal maniac?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11 January 2008, 11:09 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezri View Post
That's horrible, I didn't read the actual article but I mean I can't imagine my dear sweet Olivia being put in a microwave....isn't killing animals like the first sign of a homicidal maniac?
First animals, then humans (often children or helpless ones). That's why I vote to remove them from this life when the danger signs are spotted.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11 January 2008, 06:43 PM
geminilee's Avatar
geminilee geminilee is offline
 
Join Date: 02 December 2005
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 11,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
First animals, then humans (often children or helpless ones). That's why I vote to remove them from this life when the danger signs are spotted.
Do you have any stats on what percentage of children that harm animals go on to harm adults? Or are you just working backwards from "most serial killers harmed animals first."? If it is the latter, do you also vote to remove bed wetters from the world? That is also extremely common among serial killers, I understand.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14 January 2008, 06:08 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Do you have any stats on what percentage of children that harm animals go on to harm adults? Or are you just working backwards from "most serial killers harmed animals first."? If it is the latter, do you also vote to remove bed wetters from the world? That is also extremely common among serial killers, I understand.
There was a whole article published on the topic a while back in Cat Fancy. There are stats and studies correlating animal abuse to human abuse.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14 January 2008, 06:35 AM
geminilee's Avatar
geminilee geminilee is offline
 
Join Date: 02 December 2005
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 11,198
Default

Yes, there are many stats about the percentage of human abusers that first abused animals. What there aren't, or at least I have never come across any, are stats about the percentage of people who abuse animals as children that then go on to abuse humans. For one thing, that would require much more elaborate records than are currently kept, and much better reporting than is done.

I am not saying the kids are not twisted and in need of help. They are. But you can not just extrapolate backwards from the stats available and say they are likely to abuse humans later.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14 January 2008, 06:41 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I am not saying the kids are not twisted and in need of help. They are. But you can not just extrapolate backwards from the stats available and say they are likely to abuse humans later.
I'd say there are already enough signs that they have no regard for life. Those with no regard for life will continue to abuse others, either animal or human. I don't see that those with such tendencies have any place in society or the gene pool and I advocate their removal at the earliest possible opportunity. Why waste valuable resources in keeping them in jail?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14 January 2008, 06:52 AM
lord_feldon's Avatar
lord_feldon lord_feldon is offline
 
Join Date: 08 August 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Those with no regard for life will continue to abuse others, either animal or human.
Cite that 100% of people with "no regard for life" will continue to abuse? You're greatly conflating "is more likely to" and "will." A whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
I don't see that those with such tendencies have any place in society or the gene pool and I advocate their removal at the earliest possible opportunity. Why waste valuable resources in keeping them in jail?
Because there's no choice other than slaughtering them, which is usually held to be bad in societies that don't have a vengeance system instead of a justice system. You would really take someone's life because they killed a cat in a microwave? Seriously?

That's no better than people who advocate sodomizing someone with a wrench as valid "justice" for an alleged rapist.

Also, you apparently have no regard for life, as you want to kill human beings.

Last edited by lord_feldon; 14 January 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.