snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 06 January 2008, 08:17 AM

Default Does milk really do a body good?

Quote:
"Milk is a deadly poison," according to the Dairy Education Board. In fact, if you peruse this special interest group's Web site, notmilk.com, you'll find dozens of articles about the purported evils of this popular beverage. One claim, for example, is that milk from cows contains cancer-causing hormones and dairy industry dollars have kept that fact bottled up. All of which may leave you second-guessing your next sip.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22349307/
Old 07 January 2008, 04:27 PM
Kent

Default Very slow poison

Milk is not poison. People don't die from drinking milk. Life expectancy is higher in western countries where milk is regularly consumed than in eastern countries where it is not.
On the other hand, it may be neutral, rather than positive. It has large amounts of saturated fat. The calcium it is supposed to provide seems to be poorly absorbed, because it seems to take a lot to get adequate levels as compared to the amount of dietary calcium consumed by those people in the eastern countries. We have much more osteoporosis. There may be other factors, like phyto-estrogens.
Old 07 January 2008, 11:21 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Milk is not poison. People don't die from drinking milk. Life expectancy is higher in western countries where milk is regularly consumed than in eastern countries where it is not. . .
While this may be true, it is hardly the only difference in lifestyle between the two populations, and thus the implied conclusion is doubtful.

For instance, in the western industrialized nations, we ingest more lead, mercury, arsenic, and other known poisons...but also have a greater life expectancy.

Now, personally, I'm with you: the claim in the OP is nonsense. Milk is not poisonous, and it is difficult to comprehend the distorted chain of reasoning that would lead anyone to believe it is. Alas, however, milk (and other animal fats) are concentrators of toxic substances. Those of us who are old enough to remember atmospheric nuclear weapons testing also remember milk that was contaminated with radioactive isotopes of strontium. If the fields where cattle graze have been sprayed with certain kinds of insecticides, the milk from those cows will have higher levels of insecticide toxins, and this, too, is due to the way that animal fats concentrate some kinds of chemical compounds.

Silas
Old 07 January 2008, 11:26 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Milk is not poison. People don't die from drinking milk. Life expectancy is higher in western countries where milk is regularly consumed than in eastern countries where it is not.
Japan consumes much less milk than America and has a higher life expectancy.
Old 07 January 2008, 11:45 PM

Just to clarify, the linked article in the OP is not anti-milk. Instead, it largely refutes the quoted "milk is poison" claim.
Old 08 January 2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
I know in the area where they have people who are the oldest in the world they consume lots of yogurt. Is it soy or real milk?
Old 08 January 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:

I'll second some other posters, but note that the US is one of the only western countries where milk is regularly consumed by adults. Most European countries have very low consumption of milk, except for children, although adults do consume significant amounts of OTHER dairy products, mainly in the form of cheese and yogurt, but those items are also widely (and safely) consumed in this country by people who are lactose-intolerant.
Old 08 January 2008, 11:00 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy_pooh_1997 View Post
I know in the area where they have people who are the oldest in the world they consume lots of yogurt. Is it soy or real milk?
By real milk do you mean cow's milk? Because yogurt can be made from goat's milk, horse's milk or (afaik) sheep milk.

Seaboe
Old 09 January 2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
By real milk do you mean cow's milk? Because yogurt can be made from goat's milk, horse's milk or (afaik) sheep milk.

Seaboe
I didn't think of that. I meant cow milk. I hear horse milk and all I can say is
Old 09 January 2008, 12:56 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
I'll second some other posters, but note that the US is one of the only western countries where milk is regularly consumed by adults. Most European countries have very low consumption of milk, except for children
Really? In the UK it's regularly consumed on cereal, in tea and coffee and drunk both 'straight' and in milkshakes and the like. I've been in stores in France, Denmark and the Czech Republic and not noticed any difference in the amount of shelf space taken up by cow juice.

Edit: The US seems pretty far down the list of liquid milk consumption per capita in the western world according to this, a lowly 14th behind Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, the UK, The Netherlands and indeed the European Union as a whole.
http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/intro.html

Last edited by BlueStar; 09 January 2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09 January 2008, 01:37 PM

Hello Kitty

Japan's milk consumption is a little less than half of the US and Canada (per capita), but probably more than many other Asian countries with lower life expectancies. I don't think there's any notable correlation between life expectancy and amount of dairy consumed.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 09 January 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11 January 2008, 02:25 PM
Syera

Milk? Poison? This sounds like something that a so-called "scientist" working for an animal rights agenda would come up with.

I tried going to "notmilk.com," but got a blank webpage. So I tried searching for it on Google. Here's the website description:

Quote:
The NOTMILK Homepage! (MILK is a bad-news substance!)
MILK is a deadly poison. Each sip contains growth hormones, fat, cholesterol, allergenic proteins, blood, pus, antibiotic, bacteria and virus.
Note the word 'pus.' Animal rights activists often try to gross people out by proclaiming that milk is full of pus. It's one of their many scare tactics.

Since I STILL couldn't access the site, I clicked on More results from notmilk.com >> and found this little gem:

Quote:
Links to Vegan Recipe sites
Executive Director (notmilkman@notmilk.com) Dairy Education Board ... If so, have them send an empty Email to notmilk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and they ...
notmilk.com/veganrecipes.html - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
Just from investigating the Google results, these people scream out "animal rights activists!" If there's one thing about ARA types, their "scientists" are usually so driven by political agenda that their studies aren't exactly the most trustworthy, if you know what I mean.

Good on the article for refuting these people.

Quote:
Don't forget that Japan consumes (or at least did consume) less junk food and trans-fats, which are a far more likely candidate for many of the heath problems that people have so eagerly foisted on animal products for all these years.

Last edited by Syera; 11 January 2008 at 02:38 PM.