snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 06 January 2008, 04:39 AM

Mister Ed Budweiser owns all of the world's clydesdales

Comment: My friend says that Budweiser owns ALL the Clydesdales in the
world.
Old 06 January 2008, 04:46 AM

There was a time when the breed was endangered, I believe and very few Clydesdales (pure) existed, but there has been renewed interest in breeding, resulting in more foal births, particularly in the United States. My family went to Owens Sausage Company's public farm in October and they had several there, so the Busch family can't own them all....
Old 06 January 2008, 05:14 AM
Class Bravo

I have a friend who owns a Clydesdale.
Old 06 January 2008, 06:40 AM

Wel, they have to fill those beer cans somehow, but I'm not sure why they would be so particular about Clydesdales.
Old 06 January 2008, 10:30 AM

No, there are many individuals in the UK with Clydesdales (lovely horses, by the way) and some independant breweries.

Blues
Old 06 January 2008, 03:08 PM

I'm just going to chime it with the rest of you. If they are supposed to own them all then there is either a black market for clydesdales or some horse rustling going on because I've met several people with clydesdales who aren't AB people.
Old 06 January 2008, 03:38 PM

Is it possible that Budweiser own some kind of trademark on the Clysdale breed for use in beverage advertising? While not what the OP stated, it may be what gave rise to the legend. (Incidently I don't know if such a thing would even be possible to trademark. For one Budweiser don't use Clysedales in their UK advertising for one, so I am not aware at how strongly linked the breed is with their brand. However the Old English Sheepdog is so strongly associated with Dulux paints in the UK that I could easily understand if they had some for of trademark protection in its association with paint and DIY goods, indeed a bit of online research indeed suggests that ICI (Owners of the Dulux brand) own a registered trademark regarding the use of the Old English Sheepdog.)

ETA: Although a closer look at the trademarks suggests they might be associated with the specific images. But this could just be thanks to the way in which I was searching.

EETA: According to the UK IP office (Which I'm aware won't apply to the US, I just got a bit carried away with my idea) you can trademark a "name, logo, slogan, domain name, shape, colour or sound." So I'm none the wiser as to whether I'd be ably to sell my 'painty paints' with an Old English sheepdog on the front.

Last edited by James G; 06 January 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06 January 2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
Is it possible that Budweiser own some kind of trademark on the Clysdale breed for use in beverage advertising?
Yes. Anheiser-Busch has several trademarks involving Clydesdales.

However, there are other trademarks involving the use of "Clydesdale" owned by other businesses.
Old 07 January 2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesScale View Post
No, there are many individuals in the UK with Clydesdales (lovely horses, by the way) and some independant breweries.

Blues
Farm parks and rare breeds parks over here have Clydesdales; possibly more so in the north/Scotland since it is the Scottish equivalent of the Shire horse. In this region (East Anglia) we tend to have Suffolk Punches Some circuses have Clydesdales as well.

Slight hijack - I used to go to Cropredy folk festival (Fairport Convention event) and for many years the beer tent got its refills by brewer's dray, but I think they were Shires as this was in the Midlands.
Old 15 January 2008, 07:56 PM

A-B can't have too strong of a lock on Clydesdales and beer advertising. There is a commercial for Miller beer running on TV at the moment that shows a Dalmatian dog jumping from the Clydesdale pulled wagon into the window of the modern Miller Lite delivery truck.
Old 16 January 2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
A-B can't have too strong of a lock on Clydesdales and beer advertising. There is a commercial for Miller beer running on TV at the moment that shows a Dalmatian dog jumping from the Clydesdale pulled wagon into the window of the modern Miller Lite delivery truck.
Are you sure it's a Clydesdale? Could it be a Shire? Clydesdales and Shires can be hard to tell apart if you're not used to the 2 breeds.

Last edited by llewtrah; 16 January 2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 16 January 2008, 01:34 PM

Canada

Hi All:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: My friend says that Budweiser owns ALL the Clydesdales in the world.
I believe that your friend might get a little bit of an argument from the Canadian Clydesdales Association. The Clydesdale Horse Association page on the "Canadian Livestock Records Corporation" website even will tell you where they all are.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Here, horsey, horsey" ab Arthur
Old 16 January 2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Are you sure it's a Clydesdale? Could it be a Shire? Clydesdales and Shires can be hard to tell apart if you're not used to the 2 breeds.
Well, it is a horse and not a zebra.
Old 19 January 2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Wel, they have to fill those beer cans somehow, but I'm not sure why they would be so particular about Clydesdales.
"Easy there, big fella..."
Old 20 January 2008, 06:30 AM
darzie

Budweiser may not own all the clydesales but you can visit them. I got see them in Fort Collins. (I think it was Fort Collins, I was young at the time.) According to here they own about 250 nationally, though certainly not all the clydesales
Old 22 January 2008, 12:00 AM

You can also see them at Busch Gardens in both Tampa and Williamsburg.

I think I saw a Clydesdale at a Renaissance fair last year, but I'm not very good with horses. It may well have been something else.
Old 22 January 2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Tech IV View Post
There was a time when the breed was endangered, I believe and very few Clydesdales (pure) existed, but there has been renewed interest in breeding, resulting in more foal births, particularly in the United States. My family went to Owens Sausage Company's public farm in October and they had several there, so the Busch family can't own them all....

My mind went to bad places when you say that your family saw Clydesdales at Owens Sausage Company's farm...

I began to wonder if there's really pork in their sausages...

Then common sense prevailed and surely the horses are there for show...

LF
Old 23 January 2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
YOMANK!

Old 23 January 2008, 01:22 PM

Carlton United Breweries have been using Clydesdales in their ads for generations.

CUB are the makers of the world's best beer - VB. It's what God drinks when he's not driving.