snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 28 January 2007, 03:19 AM

Default G.W. Bush on Constitution

Quote:
I don't give a god damn, I'm the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way. Stop throwing the Constitution in my face, it's just a god damn piece of paper!" George W. Bush
I see this one every once in a while as a sig line or in a blog. I know that meeting in which it was allegedly uttered was sparcely attended, but I would have expected it to get much better coverage if verifiably true.
Old 28 January 2007, 01:23 PM

It's a pretty accurate reflection of how he's conducted his presidency, but I'd be surprised if he actually said it. For one thing, there's the "goddamn" - he's been known to lose his temper if people even suggest he ever swears. (I'm not talking vulgarities in general - he's been known to use the F-word among others - just specifically religion-related ones like that.)
Old 28 January 2007, 03:52 PM
KathyB

The source of the quote appears to be this blog.Capitol Hill Blue. Sources told the blogger that Bush said this during a meeting with "Republican Congressional leaders".
Old 28 January 2007, 04:01 PM
lazerus the duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave View Post
It's a pretty accurate reflection of how he's conducted his presidency, but I'd be surprised if he actually said it. For one thing, there's the "goddamn" - he's been known to lose his temper if people even suggest he ever swears. (I'm not talking vulgarities in general - he's been known to use the F-word among others - just specifically religion-related ones like that.)
I agree but more for the fact he got through the whole statment without a verbal cockup.
Old 28 January 2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
The source of the quote appears to be this blog.Capitol Hill Blue. Sources told the blogger that Bush said this during a meeting with "Republican Congressional leaders".
Interesting thing about this.... That page is no longer on the Capital Hill Blue site. The only reason I have ever seen that Doug Thompson has taken down a story like this is because new sources said it wasn't true. I haven't read Capital Hill Blue very often lately -- since the election -- but the fact that the article is no longer available on the site makes me think it didn't happen as it was first reported.
Old 30 January 2007, 04:18 PM
KathyB

Sara, are you sure? The link works just fine for me & goes straight to the Capitol Hill Blue site. The URL is http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artma...cle_7779.shtml
Old 30 January 2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
Sara, are you sure? The link works just fine for me & goes straight to the Capitol Hill Blue site. The URL is http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artma...cle_7779.shtml
I was sure. I tried all kinds of ways to access that (google, other sites) over two days and couldn't but your link worked for me.

Cool. Thanks.

(I was on the other computer, maybe the glitch is there.)

ETA: I hadn't read the article in quite a while. Interesting to see Thompson updated it nine months after first reporting on it. That tells me he is satisfied with the accuracy of the reporting by his initial sources.

Last edited by Sara@home; 30 January 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04 February 2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
OTOH, many of the less snopesian-inclined people I run into are still repeating the story that Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq, even though the source for it was discredited.
Turns out it wasn't God: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43189

David