snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 19 December 2007, 02:00 AM

Icon97 Hiccups mean growth spurt

Comment: I am a parnet of two a three year old girl and a 7 month old boy.
I have always been told that when babies and tottlers hiccup that means
they are going through a growing spirt. it that true
Old 19 December 2007, 02:07 AM
Elsie

When my daughter hiccups, it means (and always has) that she's really super tired and needs to go to bed. My son hiccups also when he's tired but not as much as my daughter. He also hiccups alot more randomly throughout the day than my daughter ever did.
Old 19 December 2007, 08:12 AM

Hmmmn, I wonder though - anecdotally, LilMiss will randomly have a day or two of almost constant bouts of hiccups for no real reason [as opposed to the "I told you to slow down eating that" kind]

She had a day of it a week ago, [at elast eight separate bouts of hiccups during one day] and since then has been doing the clumsy colt thing she always does when her body has grown and her brain hasn't figured out the new co-ordinates properly yet.

Hmmn.... which came first?
Old 19 December 2007, 09:31 AM
Beckythump

Icon81

I've had at least one small bout of hiccups every say since I was around seventeen (I'm twenty now). For the most part it's not so bad, as they're pretty well spaced-out, but if it's the kind that crop up every once in a while but last the whole day... that's a pretty achey chest I have by the end.

I hope it's indicative of a growth spurt, actually - I'm only 5' tall, and my feet are a UK 7. It's a little out of proportion, but my mother claims I've still some growing to do. That said, when do you typically stop growing? I would have thought by now my towering stature is at its peak.
Old 19 December 2007, 05:56 PM

My wife still gets the hicups and she's 37. It's probably safe to say she won't get any taller.
Old 29 December 2007, 02:28 AM
Syera

An aunt of mine seems to get hiccups quite frequently, and she's 6'. (And pushing middle-age.) On the other hand, I actually heard about this one from a Belgian man who is 5'3. (Who heard it from his grandfather, if I remember right. The subject came up because he had the hiccups at the time.)

Okay, this doesn't really contribute much to the topic... I just find it amusing. :P
Old 29 December 2007, 03:11 AM

Icon22

DD2 is 6 weeks from being born right now. She's been getting hiccups at least twice a day for the last week, I really hope she's not going through a growth spurt every time she gets them.