snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 12 December 2007, 12:52 PM

Default Time Traveler with proof on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2sp-clMk8s

The guy claims to have crawled under his sink to fix a pipe and ended up meeting himself at 70 years old. ..... And he actually had his phone and took a video.....

He really doesn't have a long video. He and his older "self" have the same tattoo. While they look similar, the video has background light that makes it hard to see all the facial features.

Not sure what country this was in.
guru
Old 12 December 2007, 02:21 PM

Psychic

It's in Sweden. Unfortunately I have no access to the Swedish population register, but I searched two telephone directory data bases and there is no "Håkan Nordkvist" with a public telephone number living in the place mentioned in the film (or if I got it via Google).

Another thing about the film is that the lip synch is all wrong so there's no telling whether he is actually saying what's on the sound track without being a first class lip reader. His accent is consistent with his purported place of living, though.

The company that made the film exists, or at least a company with the same name. The English narrator works for Radio Sweden.

One comment I found on the Internet is that the film has probably to do with AMF insurance company that has an advertising campaign on the theme "I met my older self and this is what happened to me thanks to my excellent pension plan". I tend to agree.
Old 12 December 2007, 02:24 PM

Viral marketing? Cool.
Old 12 December 2007, 02:24 PM

Who would make a professional little short film like that? It looks like some sort of viral promotional trailer for something.

Quite feeble "proof" - like you say, it's shot into the sun so that you can't really see them, and even if you could, all it is is two similar looking people with the same tattoo. Why wouldn't you film all the robots and flying cars and so on? Or at least, there should have been something identifiably futuristic that he could show, even if only a newspaper or something.

I found a Swedish professor of physical chemistry called Hans Karlsson, but it's not the same guy (and he's not a physicist). Usually when people are identified as a professor, the caption tells you where they're a professor. Again, that means it's not a normal "documentary".

Just the little video clip is here, with a link to the guy's blog at the end:

http://www.ingentrormig.nu/

Although I'm only getting a server error on that page.

Somebody on page 2 of this thread says it's an advert for a Swedish retirement plan, although it's not easy to find the actual company if so. This blog about advertising says it's "sponsored" by the pension company AMF, although I can't see anything in the film itself that says so, or any mention of the video on their site.
Old 12 December 2007, 02:33 PM
greyhound

I guess his future self is incontinent (hence the puddle on the floor)
And how did he get back to present time?

I tell you what, I'm convinced. I mean, there is only 1 guy in the world with a shaved head and I can't think of any way to fake a tattoo.
Old 12 December 2007, 02:54 PM

Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) had these ads a few years ago..

a man in a boat, a woman in her garden.. etc etc etc..

Of course, Canadians, being ultra conservative, don't have tattoos to compare.. yet.
Old 12 December 2007, 02:55 PM

Psychic

In the regular TV adverts for AMF there is no doubt where they come from. This one is different, but not so much different. There seems to have been a professor in theoretical physics called Hans Karlsson at the University of Lund at one time, but he's not there now it seems and there was no way I could identify where that part was filmed.

Apart from that the interview with "Håkan Nordkvist" did not sound as the real stuff. There was too much bad acting and the same goes for the statement from the "professor".
Old 12 December 2007, 08:45 PM
Grand Illusion

The tats are of the same shape, but one is slightly longer than the other one. Plus, barring some future preservation method, there' s no way a forty-year old tattoo will look that clean.
Old 12 December 2007, 08:48 PM

Despite the whole science thing and whether the tats look similar, did anyone else just flat out think that no human being is gonna hug themselves like that? Not in public, anyway. I dunno, if I met my future self I don't think I'd be comfortable even laying a finger on him for fear of what may happen, much less the fact that it'd just give me the willies.
Old 12 December 2007, 08:51 PM
Ditte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Somebody on page 2 of this thread says it's an advert for a Swedish retirement plan, although it's not easy to find the actual company if so. This blog about advertising says it's "sponsored" by the pension company AMF, although I can't see anything in the film itself that says so, or any mention of the video on their site.
One of the clips shown in the intro (a lady playing golf greets her older self with a hug at about 00.07) is from one of AMF's TV commercials “Tänk om du kunde hälsa på dig själv i framtiden". Unfortunately I can't find the ad online to back this claim up.
Old 12 December 2007, 09:14 PM

I always feel that if time travel is possible, why has no one ever come back?

Where's me flux capacitor?
Old 12 December 2007, 09:49 PM
Trevor Hill

it reminds me of a comedy line

i have a time machine at home.. it only runs in forward at regular speed though
Old 12 December 2007, 10:32 PM
Tyrone Slothrop

I wish there was a time portal under my sink. All I found was a broken garbage disposal.
Old 12 December 2007, 11:10 PM

D'oh!

Oh yeah, I'm totally convinced.

I could make a video like that as well. First, I need to go get my dad. Second, paint on a tattoo on him that looks like mine.....

Remark "give me a break, will ya?" gullabull

Last edited by remarkgullabull; 12 December 2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12 December 2007, 11:10 PM

If he filmed that himself, his left arm is pretty durned long and he's a pretty skilled one-handed videographer. He's able to pan right in on the tatoos yet when the camera pans back up he doesn't even appear to be looking at it.

I don't mind viral stuff as long as it's not a pathetically obvious BS.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:38 AM

Oh look, he got taller over the years. How nice.
Old 13 December 2007, 02:56 AM
threehead_99

I thought we could believe everything found on the internet? But seriously, if he traveled into the future, I wonder if the future Al Gore invents another future internet?
Old 13 December 2007, 04:22 AM
MissBethiepoo

Icon108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Illusion View Post
The tats are of the same shape, but one is slightly longer than the other one. Plus, barring some future preservation method, there' s no way a forty-year old tattoo will look that clean.
that was my thought exactly!
Old 13 December 2007, 05:14 AM

Neener, Neener Didn't they do this on "South Park"?

You know, the "My Future Self and Me" episode.
Old 13 December 2007, 10:09 AM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditte View Post
Unfortunately I can't find the ad online to back this claim up.
I believe you.