snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 11 December 2007, 03:05 AM
Donner

Icon81 Dead Climber on Everest just "hanging around"

Supposedly, on the accent to Everest, climbers must climb a rope up a cliff and climb past the body of a dead climber still hanging to a rope for the last couple of decades. I've found references to this climber, but nothing solid. I'm mordily curious about this so if anyone has any aditional information not counting the vague references I've found, I would be grateful.
Old 11 December 2007, 03:20 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
Supposedly, on the accent to Everest, [...]
The accent is on the first syllable. No problem. Glad to be of service. And welcome to the board!
Old 11 December 2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I've found references to this climber, but nothing solid.
Given the temperature there, I think the climber is pretty solid...
Old 11 December 2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
Supposedly, on the accent to Everest, climbers must climb a rope up a cliff and climb past the body of a dead climber still hanging to a rope for the last couple of decades. I've found references to this climber, but nothing solid. I'm mordily curious about this so if anyone has any aditional information not counting the vague references I've found, I would be grateful.
First off ... arent you late for a party ...

Second ... from what I have read and seen on TV shows about everest, the mountain has bodies all over it. From what they say its considered more dangerous to bring the bodies down from the higher elevations, and that you risk more lives being lost just trying to.

Dodger
Old 11 December 2007, 12:29 PM

In the book Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer describes several bodies that you have to walk past to get to the summit - in one case apparently you pretty much need to step over the guy. I haven't got a copy to look up more details, unfortunately. I don't remember specifically a corpse hanging from a rope.
Old 11 December 2007, 12:35 PM

Ponder

I recall the recovery of a sherpa from a crevasse, but nothing would literally 'hang around' on Everest for very long. But yes, Everest is littered with corpses (and, indeed, litter), well over a hundred are known, and the shifting cloak of the mountain reveals some and devours others each year. The mortality rate is one death per 10 attempts on the summit and it's simply too dangerous to recover those that perish around 8300 metres - Everest? you've gotta be barking
Old 11 December 2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Given the temperature there, I think the climber is pretty solid...
Not only solid, he's also quite stiff.
Old 11 December 2007, 07:33 PM
charlie23

OP: Google is your friend. There are at least 2 documented accounts on the first page under the search terms I used. If you want names and dates of the corpses I seriously doubt you'll get them as the climbers generally don't focus on such things out of both respect for the dead and simple exhaustion.
Old 13 December 2007, 02:55 AM

George Mallory was just recently found on Everest (1999) He was quite possible the 1st to reach the summit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory
Old 13 December 2007, 10:44 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgiver View Post
George Mallory was just recently found on Everest (1999) He was quite possible the 1st to reach the summit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory
I might be tripping, but weren't they hoping to find his partner who had a camera, or they found a camera and were hoping to develop film to reveal whether or not they made the summit?

Forgive me if i'm imagining all this, I had too much premium lager last night and my brain is falling away like wet cake
Old 13 December 2007, 10:53 AM

Mmm, cake!
Old 13 December 2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Mmm, cake!
Yeah, but it's wet. Who wants soggy cake?!

I read "Into Thin Air" as well and remember the reference to multiple bodies. Don't know of anyone clinging to a rope, though.

Everest? Heck, no! I have a hard enough time climbing my steep driveway... in summer!
Old 14 December 2007, 08:51 PM

United Kingdom

Jay Tea wrote:

Quote:
I might be tripping, but weren't they hoping to find his partner who had a camera, or they found a camera and were hoping to develop film to reveal whether or not they made the summit?
A camera was found with Mallory's body, I believe. I never heard if photos were developed from it. I think that originally it was believed that the body was his partner, or that other Japanese climbers had mentioned seeing an "old English dead" guy on the slopes who might have been Mallory or the still unfound climbing partner.
If that makes any sense. I am still feeling the effects of my friend Bushmill's from last evening myself.

Ali "why waste all that barley in soup" Infree
Old 11 March 2010, 03:48 AM
rholynmama

Near the bottom of the Hillary Step "the body of Bruce Herrod, the photojournalist who'd been with the South African team" in 1996, according to David Breashears, was the one "hanging around".

To learn more...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/everest.../epilogue.html
Old 31 August 2010, 03:17 PM
Makalu G

On all of the "big" mountains there are bodies of climbers left behind. The altitude coupled with extreme exhaustion from climbing the mountain make it all but impossible to retrieve the dead from the higher reaches...
Old 19 December 2010, 03:33 PM
bill790

I believe Jon Krakauer discusses in Eiger Dreams a dead climber hanging from a rope on the Eiger for 4 yeears.
Old 20 December 2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
[B]A camera was found with Mallory's body, I believe. I never heard if photos were developed from it. I think that originally it was believed that the body was his partner
The expedition that found him thought at first it was his partner, Irvine, because of the location and because the hair was blond. It turned out to be Mallory -- the clothing had his name on it. The years in the sun had bleached his hair.
Old 31 December 2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill790 View Post
I believe Jon Krakauer discusses in Eiger Dreams a dead climber hanging from a rope on the Eiger for 4 yeears.
The body of Toni Kurz had to be left hanging on the Eiger in 1936 after attempts to rescue him failed. I can only find references to its remaining there for "months" rather than years though.

ETA: According to this article, Stefano Longhi's body remained on the Eiger from 1957 until it was retrieved in 1959.

Last edited by Embra; 31 December 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 22 January 2011, 12:40 AM

Darn it all. Now I want cake.