Old 03 December 2007, 05:07 PM

Icon13 No pictures of Richard Simmons

Comment: Is it true there are no pictures of Richard Simmons because he
has them hidden when he was overweight? I have searched high and low over
the internet and have turned up nothing except a very small picture of him
as a child which doesn't even show him as overweight. Was Richard Simmons
ever overweight?
Old 03 December 2007, 05:13 PM

Or there are simply no child pictures of him on the internet as they are his and his families private property and they haven't scanned them in and uploaded them, because they are.. well.. private property?
Or did I miss a US law that states that every celebrity has to upload x-ammount of private child pictures unless they have something to hide?
Old 03 December 2007, 05:14 PM

According to Wikipedia, he was overweight at one point and lost 123 lbs. This was probably before he was really famous (when he was just getting into the fitness industry after quitting his job as a Maître d' which probably could explain the lack of photos of him being overweight - they probably consist of family photos.
Old 03 December 2007, 05:26 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
According to Wikipedia, he was overweight at one point and lost 123 lbs. This was probably before he was really famous (when he was just getting into the fitness industry after quitting his job as a Maître d' which probably could explain the lack of photos of him being overweight - they probably consist of family photos.
I've heard this accusation before, and when I first heard it, I remember a quote from his Never Say Diet, that a turning point for him was when a girl he liked snapped at him that she would never like him because, "Why Milton, you're obese!" (Milton is his original first name.) I remember thinking that that was an oddly unnatural way for a teenager to talk in that time period, but that doesn't mean he was never overweight. Could be she was exaggerating the tone, or that he remembered it more dramatically because of its emotionally scarring nature.
Old 03 December 2007, 05:32 PM

I thought he was a vampire and didn't have a reflection or a photographable image.
Old 03 December 2007, 07:04 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I thought he was a vampire and didn't have a reflection or a photographable image.
Would he still show up on film then? I'm not up on current vampire lore.
Old 03 December 2007, 09:40 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
Would he still show up on film then? I'm not up on current vampire lore.
I think the principle is the same, so they wouldn't be on film.

Sister "thinking of the count duckula episode where they redecorated the castle..." Ray
Old 04 December 2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post
a girl he liked
This is the part that strains my credulity.
Old 04 December 2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! He does kinda flame, doesn't he? Maybe he was still "figuring things out"?
Old 04 December 2007, 03:15 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up
a girl he liked

Definatly,me too.
Old 04 December 2007, 03:35 PM

I'm not sure if this is true, but my dad swears that Simmons was on the Letterman show one time and was doing some audience participation. When he came back to the stage with a guy Dave quipped, "This isn't a dating service."

Does anyone remember this exchange? I don't know if it was the Late Show or Late Night or anything more than it was on a Letterman show several years ago.
Old 04 December 2007, 03:48 PM
AntColony

There is the video of him when he was on Whos Line is it Anyway...

But, he has always claimed not to be gay. I dont care either way. I adore him! Before I was married, I swore I was going on one of his Cruise to Lose trips. I was going to find out one way or another... He is so sensitive, emotional, caring, sweet, and he wears Dolphin shorts...everything any woman would want in a man. Damn, he IS gay! (Gay or straight, the guy has HOT legs!)
Old 04 December 2007, 04:23 PM

It is possible for a child/pre-teen just discovering his sexual leanings might like either a girl or a boy.
Old 04 December 2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STF View Post
I'm not sure if this is true, but my dad swears that Simmons was on the Letterman show one time and was doing some audience participation. When he came back to the stage with a guy Dave quipped, "This isn't a dating service."

Does anyone remember this exchange? I don't know if it was the Late Show or Late Night or anything more than it was on a Letterman show several years ago.
I cannot say for sure, but given that his flamboyant nature is a source of constant jokes against him (that he seems to have no problem with based on his whose line appearance) it is likely.
Old 04 December 2007, 04:53 PM

My mother used to exercise to his show. More than once, when I was watching along with her, he showed a picture of himself from when he was obese.

I did see one Letterman that was on or around Independence Day, and he came running down the aisle in red, white and blue with a basket of low-fat, low-calorie cookies. When Richard gave a cookie to Letterman, Dave set it on the desk and flicked it toward the audience. The look on Richard's face had me laughing hysterically.
Old 07 December 2007, 09:13 PM
AnnabellLeigh

I was over 100 pounds overweight. My highest weight ever was 311 pounds and I wasn't pregnant. There were a few pictures of me obese and I deleted all of them from my computer. I have two left and that's because one of them is property of my ex husband who has it on a disc and it was at my son's first birthday so I wouldnt' want to delete it anyway. The second was at my grandmother's last Thanksgiving dinner. Again, a cherished event for me. I can't blame him if he didn't have pictures of him being fat all over.
Old 07 December 2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfancypants View Post
My mother used to exercise to his show. More than once, when I was watching along with her, he showed a picture of himself from when he was obese.

I did see one Letterman that was on or around Independence Day, and he came running down the aisle in red, white and blue with a basket of low-fat, low-calorie cookies. When Richard gave a cookie to Letterman, Dave set it on the desk and flicked it toward the audience. The look on Richard's face had me laughing hysterically.
My mother and I used to do "Sweatin' to the Oldies" together back in the day, I think I recall him showing a photo too.

Simmons has been on Letterman at least a few times, the two of them have a hysterical dynamic together. He was a guest on Thanksgiving one year and showed up wearing a full turkey suit. He was so happy and enthusiastic but the look of feigned disgust on Letterman's face and Simmons' reactions to his comments were hysterical. I'm not a big Letterman fan, but I would happily watch a show where Letterman did nothing but pretend not to like Simmons while Simmons pretends to look hurt about it.
Old 08 December 2007, 05:52 PM

I feel like there is a picture of the overweight Simmons in a book I read at some point...probably when I was 13 or 14 and would diet secretly and read books like that for inspiration.

There was also an E! True Hollywood Story on him that probably showed pictures.

Avril
Old 12 January 2008, 12:21 AM

This is his from brief appearance in Fellinis Satyricon.
Old 18 January 2008, 02:16 AM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
Simmons has been on Letterman at least a few times, the two of them have a hysterical dynamic together. He was a guest on Thanksgiving one year and showed up wearing a full turkey suit. He was so happy and enthusiastic but the look of feigned disgust on Letterman's face and Simmons' reactions to his comments were hysterical. I'm not a big Letterman fan, but I would happily watch a show where Letterman did nothing but pretend not to like Simmons while Simmons pretends to look hurt about it.
I saw that one! It was hilarious! Crazy, even for Simmons! I'm not always a Letterman fan; he's obnoxious, but he likes dogs, and apparently, Simmons.

I also recall a Simmons appearance on a short-lived San Francisco talk show hosted (or guested) by Bette Midler, cerca late 70s, early 80s. That was over the top, too, less the turkey outfit! Anyone remember that?