snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 28 November 2007, 02:17 AM

Glasses Temperature itself has a little fever

Though used for more than a century, the normal body temperature standard of 98.6 degrees is probably too high.

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...,981033.column
Old 28 November 2007, 11:10 AM

I have argued with many nurses many times that my elder daughter's baseline temp is closer to 96 degrees than 98.6. I finally convinced one nurse when I brought her in with every symptom of a fever (chills, flushed face, hot skin) and a perfect 98.6 temp. Other nurses have rolled their eyes at my insistence that she had a fever when she was at 99 degrees, or that a "real" fever was cause for serious concern.

Thankfully, I found a pediatrician's office that barely glances at the thermometer, and Rina's baseline has increased to about 97.1 as she's gotten a wee bit older.
Old 28 November 2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Women in the study were slightly hotter than men
Knew that.
Old 28 November 2007, 11:34 AM

98,6 degrees Fahrenheit corresponds to 37 degrees Celsius, which is generally thought of as normal body temperature. However, it's not. Normal body temperature can be anything between 36,5 and 37,5 depending on time of day and whathaveyou and this is, as far as I know, not a new idea. It's been accepted for many years.
Old 28 November 2007, 12:04 PM

Wolf

My general baseline in 99.1. Everytime I go to the doctor, I hear that I have a "slight fever."
Old 28 November 2007, 01:07 PM

For women the temperature can change throughout their cycle. Just before ovulation my temp is around 96.7 and when my period starts it is more like 98.6. Years ago before treatment for thyroid problems my waking temp was in the low 96s all cycle long. The chart I was given didn't even go that low.
Old 28 November 2007, 03:20 PM

I'm always 97.1 degrees. By the time I hit 99, I feel like crap.
Old 28 November 2007, 03:56 PM

My baseline seems to be around 97.1 as well.
Old 28 November 2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
My baseline seems to be around 97.1 as well.
Me too. For a long time I thought I was being a wimp or a hypochondriac because I felt I had a fever but the thermometer only read 99. Now I know better.
Old 28 November 2007, 04:04 PM

My standard is right around 94. Back in the days when digital thermometers were new they didn't even register that low. For a while, I was taking my temp 3 times a day for about 3 months, and ended up ranging from 93.5 to about 96. By the time I hit 99 I am miserably ill.
Old 29 November 2007, 12:43 AM

When I worked at a nursing home many of the residents had low body temps. I figured that had to be mistake b/c they kept the place so dang sweltering hot. They said the older you get your nervouse system and body functions slow down so it's harderto heat yourself.
Old 29 November 2007, 02:11 AM
zephyra

I usually run about 99. I'm always hearing that I have a fever.
Old 29 November 2007, 02:17 AM
Doug4.7

Icon27

So, the body temperature was 98.6 in the 1800's and it was 98.2 in 1992, and it was 97.3 in 2005. I think I found the source of Global Warming. It is human caused. We are releasing our body heat to the Earth.......
Old 29 November 2007, 08:04 PM

So for all these years no one in the medical profession understood the difference between AVERAGE temperature, and NORMAL temperature for everybody. Or is it just the current generation -- because my mother, and my doctor always knew when my temp was over 98.5 there was a problem. And that is one of the reasons that army doctors would take your temp for your physical, because at least in the early 70's the temp recorded for your induction physcial is the one we looked at to see if you had a fever.

edited to add
I sort of get tired of hearing about scientists are doing research to find out or to prove something that the rest of us figured out years ago.
Old 29 November 2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
Me too! It's aggravating to have to argue with medical professionals that the reason I'm in is because I'm running a fever and feel lousy. At 99, I'm sick.
Old 29 November 2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judecat View Post
So for all these years no one in the medical profession understood the difference between AVERAGE temperature, and NORMAL temperature for everybody. Or is it just the current generation -- because my mother, and my doctor always knew when my temp was over 98.5 there was a problem. And that is one of the reasons that army doctors would take your temp for your physical, because at least in the early 70's the temp recorded for your induction physcial is the one we looked at to see if you had a fever.

edited to add
I sort of get tired of hearing about scientists are doing research to find out or to prove something that the rest of us figured out years ago.

Just how would the doctors know that the temperature during your physical was correct? After all, body temperature varies during the day.
And quite obviously not all "the rest of us" figured this out years ago, or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphodil View Post
Me too! It's aggravating to have to argue with medical professionals that the reason I'm in is because I'm running a fever and feel lousy. At 99, I'm sick.
Daphodil and others wouldn't have that problem.
Old 30 November 2007, 02:46 PM

Well if your temp in your induction physcial was 97.2, then it's pretty ovbious that your Normal tempurature isn't 98.6. So that if yous show up on sick call then it would be wrong of me to assume you are shamming off if I take your temp and get 98.6. Or if you have a temp of 99.4 during your physical, and I take your temp, then I'm not going to give you the day off based on your temp being high.

My point is that everyone know's that to get an Average then there have to be people who are lower, and there have to be people that are higher. And direct observation would have told you that your your normal temparature is, and that is was probably not the same as everyone else in your family. Even my mother, with an 8th grade education figured out that if I had 98.6 then I was sick, if my sister had 99.4 she was perfectly healthy and trying to get a day off of school. Most of us already Know -- we just wait for scientists to do studies before we believe our own instincts.
Old 30 November 2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judecat View Post
I feel the same, but in my case its my blood iron that is lower than average not my body temperature. For years I was batted between the blood donor clinic, my GP and the blood test clinic because of my "anaemia" even though I was perfectly healthy. Finally it just turns out my natural iron level is lower than average, but for me it is my normal healthy level (maybe my haemoglobin is a tad more efficient or something so I just don't need so much iron circulating). Finally the medical profession have stopped taking samples and sticking needles into me and though I'm no longer allowed to give blood (I'm below the iron threshold for a blood donor) I no longer get told to take so many iron tablets that I'm horribly constipated and produce pitch black excrement.
Old 01 December 2007, 03:34 AM
MissBethiepoo

People have always thought that I was a bit crazy since I get cold very easily and it doesn't take much for me to break out into a sweat due to the fact that my temp is about 96.1. Its really hard for me to dress properly in the wintertime because of this, and now that I work at Target, I have absolutely no clue how heavy or light I should dress--either I'm at a cash register by the door where its cold or at the opposite end where its stuffy and warm and people tend to bring a ton of groceries and stuff for me to check out and bag for them.

Yep, a fever for me is about 98-99 degrees.