snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Old 24 January 2007, 12:49 PM
ladyknight

Icon402 More useless facts

I got this list yesterday from a friend, and many of them make me want to bang my head against the nearest wall.

Thought you'd like these luv, mind blowing!

1. Most American car horns honk in the key of F.

2. The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."

3. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

4. Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.

5. The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

6. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself.

7. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.

8. The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; '7' was selected after the original 7-ounce containers and 'UP' for the direction of the bubbles.

9. 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Mulan are the only Disney cartoons where both parents are present and don't die throughout the movie. .

10. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

11. 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

12. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly.

13. Reindeer like to eat bananas.

14. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.

15. The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."

16. Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.

17. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

18. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II Killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

19. More people are killed annually by donkeys than airplane crashes.

20. A 'jiffy' is a unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

As far as #12 goes, wouldn't almost anything let go of you if you dug your thumbs into it's eyes, assuming it had eyes? Why is this a stunning fact?
Old 24 January 2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyknight View Post
So why did I got to bed at 2am last night and only get to sleep at 7am???
Old 24 January 2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
That is false, Records exist prior to Pan being written that mentionds the name "Gwendelin"

Quote:
16. Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
Also Flase, He spat them out during recording for other reasons.

Quote:
Though his best-known character was a carrot -chomping rabbit, Blanc himself did not like the taste of raw carrots, as he noted in his autobiography. Additionally, munching on the carrots interrupted the dialogue.
Source

Quote:
14. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.
Purple has several and orange has a couple, frequently mentioned.
Old 24 January 2007, 01:36 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
6. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself.
False. When my cat falls off the table, he corrects himself before hitting the floor, and I do not have a seven-story table!

Straight Dope link.

Four un-smushed Kitties
Old 24 January 2007, 05:50 PM

Who measured the pig orgasm? And where can I find a job like that? For my friend, I mean. Yeah, a friend.
Old 24 January 2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
So what am I supposed to be doing that makes my right hand so busy?

Dropbear
Old 24 January 2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
So what am I supposed to be doing that makes my right hand so busy?

Dropbear

You're measuring the pig orgasm, of course.
Old 24 January 2007, 08:12 PM
Fiver

Quote:
What kind of studies, exactly?
Old 24 January 2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Well of course not. They don't even rhyme with each other. How is just one word supposed to rhyme with all four?

One-dunthoranjdilvuhturpil?-Fang
Old 24 January 2007, 10:27 PM

Icon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
Well of course not. They don't even rhyme with each other. How is just one word supposed to rhyme with all four?

One-dunthoranjdilvuhturpil?-Fang
Now I'm thinking about Dylan Thomas' "Letter to My Aunt..." poem.

"Do not forget that limpet rhymes
With strumpet, in these troubled times."

Sister "but I expect useless facts doesn't count a half-rhyme" Ray
Old 25 January 2007, 11:42 AM
Drainfluid

Quote:
As far as #12 goes, wouldn't almost anything let go of you if you dug your thumbs into it's eyes, assuming it had eyes? Why is this a stunning fact?
In fact, since crocodiles usually execute the "death roll" once they bite down, this would be one of the animals least vulnerable to poking in the eyes.

"Death Roll video"

WARNING: very gruesome, definitely NFBSK.
Old 25 January 2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
"The key of F", hmm. . .,

There are many notes in a key, but most car horns only use one (maybe two) notes at a time. So correct if most of the notes used on American car horns can be found in the key of F. I guess someone with a great deal of time on their hands could easily find 51% of American cars that play one of those notes. The key of Gm may also be correct but that's because there are 7 notes (8 if you include the octave) in Gm, too. Which just means that the item on the list is not necessarily "uncorrect".

It's just a demonstration of how to state a "fact" that's not really contravertible.

- P

Last edited by ParaDiddle; 25 January 2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 25 January 2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Quote:
The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."
That is false, Records exist prior to Pan being written that mentionds the name "Gwendelin"
However, J. M. Barrie did not get the name from that source. He had a friend who had a daughter. The girl died at the age of four and five and called J. M. Barrie her 'Fwendy'. From there J. M. Barrie 'made up' the name 'Wendy'. So, yes, the name was made up for the book (actually it was orginally a play), even if the name did exist before.

(By the way, the girl's father was also the friend of Robert Louis Stevenson. He only had leg and was the inspiration of Long John Silver. Both father and daughter are buried in the same grave.)
Old 25 January 2007, 09:55 PM
PrometheusX303

Quote:
Sick-minded researchers! I've dropped my cat, upside down, from four feet. She corrects herself amazingly fast. (She likes it)

Quote:
8. The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; '7' was selected after the original 7-ounce containers and 'UP' for the direction of the bubbles.
Wikipedia says : The origin of the 7 Up name is unclear. The most popular story is that its creator named the soft drink after seeing a cattle brand with the number 7 and the letter u.[2] Other rumors suggest that the name reflects the drink's seven flavors and carbonation (the bubbles go "up"), that the bottle contained seven ounces, that its creator came up with the name while playing dice, or that even it was the 7th large commercial lemonade brand that taste the same. There is also the rumour that the name was created because the company had previously failed six times, hence the name "7- up".[2] Before the formula change in 2006, looking on a can of 7up included 7 ingredients. The "Up" in the drink's name might refer to the original inclusion of Lithium, an anti-depressant.

Some people mistakenly believe that the name 7 Up comes from the fact that its pH is 7.0 and therefore neutral. This is not the case: the pH of 7 Up is comparable to many other soft drinks. At a pH of 3.67,[3] Diet 7 Up is less acidic than lemon juice (pH 2.3), vinegar (pH 2.9) or wine (pH 3.5)[4].

Quote:
9. 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Mulan are the only Disney cartoons where both parents are present and don't die throughout the movie. .
Must have been updated. This was in another thread.
Old 25 January 2007, 10:01 PM
Class Bravo

Quote:
I swear I got one of these in which it claimed that a jiffy was 3.3357 x 10^-11 second. I wish they'd make up their minds.
Old 25 January 2007, 10:27 PM

I have heard that a 'moment' is 1/40th of a second.
Old 27 January 2007, 01:13 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
I wonder if they mean the "key" of F or in the "note" of F. My car honks in several different keys, but it only produces one note. I also believe that one could truthfully say that most American car horns honk in any key. Excuse me if my music theory is a bit off, but I believe there are 8 of 14 notes in each key.

With this list starting out with a statement as ambiguous as this one, it made me seriously doubt the credibility of the following statements.

However, since I was curious, I decided to grab my harmonica and go and test what note my car's horn actually honked in. I was able to discerned that my car honks a C note (well...close), but I also got a visit from the police.

Quote:
So why'd they change it to "Peter Pan"?

Quote:
4. Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.
I wonder how much of that is from dead skin cells.

Quote:
This statement tells me that there is one person in the entire world that is completely average in every way, and it takes him seven minutes to fall asleep every time his head hits the pillow. This could quite possibly be true.

Quote:
This is the part where Louis Black looks at the audience and says, "that's all I got. There is no punch line."

I actually believe that most cats would get bored of the fall by the eighth floor, which would make its chances of surviving even less.

I've actually seen a cat drop five stories before. It hit the ground running.

Quote:
Most people I know use two hands to type "stewardesses". More precisely, they use two fingers.

Quote:
12. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly.
Yeah...like I'm going to want to take the time to look for a crocodile's eyes while he's spinning me in circles in the grasp of his clenched teeth. I'm sorry, but I'm going to use fists and hope I get lucky.

Quote:
I'm thinking they should have used quotation marks on this one. I'm pretty sure that no word in any language rhymes with "month, orange, sliver and purple".

Quote:
17. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
I'm going to go with Harold P. Brown under the employment of Thomas Edison on this one.

Dr. Alfred Southwick is the one who originally conceived of the idea, and he was indeed a dentist. However, the story of the invention of the electric chair is much, much more interesting that that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_chair

Quote:
I believe a "jiffy" is actually a computer term used to measure clock speed. In the old days, a "jiffy" was 1/50 of a second in Europe and 1/60 of a second in the United States. I believe that in recent years, a "jiffy" has evolved into a unit of time 1/100 of a second in most of the world.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jiffy

Last edited by bjohn13; 27 January 2007 at 01:17 AM. Reason: I never thought that a cite for my definition of "jiffy" would be as easy
Old 27 January 2007, 02:17 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
I wonder if they mean the "key" of F or in the "note" of F. My car honks in several different keys, but it only produces one note. I also believe that one could truthfully say that most American car horns honk in any key. Excuse me if my music theory is a bit off, but I believe there are 8 of 14 notes in each key.
Since I can't figure out how to re-edit my post, I'll just correct myself. There are 7 of 12 possible notes in each key.
Old 27 January 2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I have heard that a 'moment' is 1/40th of a second.
I don't know about that, my daughter had a 'moment' the other day, and it lasted considerably longer than 1/40th of a second.

Mac"that's okay, I got it "Lloyd
Old 04 June 2007, 04:15 PM

Frying Pan Why did he chew them to begin with???

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Also Flase, He spat them out during recording for other reasons.

Source
Here's the thing. AUDIO was being recorded, not visual. Why the heck would he have had to put a carrot in his mouth to begin with? For chewing sounds, he could have munched a different crunchy veggie. The audience SEES Bugs eating a carrot, no one would've thought to say, hmm, sounds more like celery to me.

So I personally don't believe this at all.