snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04 November 2007, 06:38 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,571
Icon23 Dogs and human will eat themselves to death

Comment: Is it true that dogs and humans are the only two animals that
will eat themselves to death?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04 November 2007, 06:52 PM
Arriah's Avatar
Arriah Arriah is offline
 
Join Date: 15 August 2005
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 3,437
Icon401

Nope. We have a guppy that we have to watch closely. If we overfeed at all, he eats everything and then gets bloated and constipated. Doesn't sound bad but constipation can easily kill guppies.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04 November 2007, 06:54 PM
babyhellfire
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Maybe they meantogs & humans are the only animals that WON'T eat themselves to death-it is BS either way,though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04 November 2007, 07:15 PM
mouse goddess's Avatar
mouse goddess mouse goddess is offline
 
Join Date: 30 November 2000
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 3,225
Default

Saw it happen to a deer at the Wildlife Center I worked at. Just so you know, in the importance of significant digits, .5lbs of food is much different from 5lbs.

(You can be damn sure we wrote it 0.5 from then on.)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04 November 2007, 08:25 PM
inkrose115's Avatar
inkrose115 inkrose115 is offline
 
Join Date: 01 February 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,046
Default

Horses will also eat themselves to death. We kept the food locked up carefully, just in case one busted out of the stalls.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04 November 2007, 08:57 PM
franjava's Avatar
franjava franjava is offline
 
Join Date: 23 August 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,130
Default

I had a rabbit that I guarantee would've eaten herself to death had we let her. Adorable thing, but not too bright.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04 November 2007, 11:34 PM
Izzy Quigley's Avatar
Izzy Quigley Izzy Quigley is offline
 
Join Date: 01 December 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,579
Sheep

For some reason, when I read the thread title I parsed it as "eat themselves/to death" - as in, dogs and humans are the only animals that will commit autocannibalism until they die. Did anyone else read it this way, or should I start looking into mental hospitals?

When my mom taught grade school, she had a sheep farmer visit the class (I think he was the grandfather of a student). He told them that sheep will eat themselves to death, and sometimes have to be given a shot which prevents them from doing it. Are there any shepherd snopesters who have heard of this?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04 November 2007, 11:44 PM
Little Pink Pill's Avatar
Little Pink Pill Little Pink Pill is offline
 
Join Date: 03 September 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,494
Default

Do they mean in one sitting? Because in that case, it seems physically impossible for humans and dogs and anything that can throw up.

Can any of the animals listed here, horses, deer, rabbits, or guppies, toss their cookies, so to speak?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05 November 2007, 12:52 AM
Spookshow Baby's Avatar
Spookshow Baby Spookshow Baby is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 591
Default

Well, I know that horses and rabbits are incapapble of vomiting. Not sure about any of the others.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05 November 2007, 01:05 AM
greenfrog78's Avatar
greenfrog78 greenfrog78 is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,740
Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
For some reason, when I read the thread title I parsed it as "eat themselves/to death" - as in, dogs and humans are the only animals that will commit autocannibalism until they die. Did anyone else read it this way, or should I start looking into mental hospitals?
You arn't crazy(or if you are it's the same way I'm crazy). That was my first thought and then I thought of the only Stephan King story that has scarred me for life, Survivor Type shudder

Green "think happy thoughts" frog
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05 November 2007, 01:44 AM
Blatherskite's Avatar
Blatherskite Blatherskite is offline
 
Join Date: 06 February 2006
Location: Salford, UK
Posts: 3,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
I had a rabbit that I guarantee would've eaten herself to death had we let her. Adorable thing, but not too bright.
I had a rabbit that would have eaten plenty other things to death. I was young and fed him too many dandelion leaves, as was befitting to his name, Dandelion. But he grew from a flopsy Easter bunner into a lapine psychopath and would make the steroid addled villain of a next door neighbour cower in terror, as Dandelion would growl at his suspected attackers. It was a fox that did Dandelion in at the end. It took a bloody long time too, 'til we only found the rabbit's head. I still suspect we treated Dandelion wrongly and he grew into a massive, unstoppable killing machine. I only hope he took some pleasure in granting a fox a hard time of so much as nabbing a rabbit inside it's run.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05 November 2007, 02:29 AM
Cervus's Avatar
Cervus Cervus is offline
 
Join Date: 21 October 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog78 View Post
You arn't crazy(or if you are it's the same way I'm crazy). That was my first thought and then I thought of the only Stephan King story that has scarred me for life, Survivor Type shudder
That was exactly my thought.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05 November 2007, 03:53 AM
CenTex CenTex is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2007
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 1,512
Default

Sheep can get a disease called enterotoxemia, that is commonly referred to as "overeating disease" but it is actually an infectious disease that ranchers vaccinate against. Sheep will, overeat to the point of gastric distress or bloat, but it is not related to overeating disease.

AFAIK certain animals have a receptor in their brain that tells them when they are full. Many ruminants such as sheep do not have this receptor because they usually can't overeat on grass.

Also, AFAIK, horses do not have this receptor and will eat to the point of colic and/or founder. Mules and burros, OTOH do have the receptor and are very good at self regulation. Pigs also have this receptor and can be raised on a self feeder.

Cen--I was raised on a farm--tex
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05 November 2007, 05:48 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Pigs will gorge themselves into morbid obesity - there have been news stories in China about hugely obese pigs. Some captive exotics (usually ones rescued from incompetent/ignorant owners) develop neuroses and overeat, probably to death if the keepers didn't limit the food.

Given the wrong sort of food i.e. overfed on formulated foods with more usable calories than they'd find in natural/better balanced food sources, cats, dogs, pigs etc can all die of obesity.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05 November 2007, 12:22 PM
inkrose115's Avatar
inkrose115 inkrose115 is offline
 
Join Date: 01 February 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Given the wrong sort of food i.e. overfed on formulated foods with more usable calories than they'd find in natural/better balanced food sources, cats, dogs, pigs etc can all die of obesity.
Domestic parrots, even though who are free-flighted, can become morbidly obese if fed a diet too rich in seeds. Certain parrots do need more fat then others, though. And a pellet-only diet still isn't healthy either, though feeding mostly pellets with a supplement of vegetables is still way better than a mostly seed diet. A seed only diet will take a while to kill your bird, but it will greatly shorten their life.

I knew someone who fed their Cockatiel nothing but corn twists (like cheetos) and it would only eat Troyer Farms brand. Oh, and it ate some popcorn. 'Tweety' the cockatiel lived less than a year, dying of malnutrition. And the person who owned it had their PhD and was in every way quite intelligent, except when it came to bird care, apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05 November 2007, 03:17 PM
franjava's Avatar
franjava franjava is offline
 
Join Date: 23 August 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,130
Icon06

Quote:
I knew someone who fed their Cockatiel nothing but corn twists (like cheetos) and it would only eat Troyer Farms brand. Oh, and it ate some popcorn. 'Tweety' the cockatiel lived less than a year, dying of malnutrition. And the person who owned it had their PhD and was in every way quite intelligent, except when it came to bird care, apparently.
When taking my rabbit to the vet, they were nursing a rabbit back to health for the Humane Society. Poor thing was given nothing but Froot Loops. Poor bunny had soft bones, rotting teeth that had to be pulled... The vet wanted to kill the former owners. I joined in on the sentiment.

Quote:
That was my first thought and then I thought of the only Stephan King story that has scarred me for life, Survivor Type shudder
I completely forgot about that story! I'll have to read it again. The story from Skeleton Crew that scarred me was "The Jaunt." - at the end when the little boy goes crazy. EESH!

fran "hijack" java
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05 November 2007, 03:24 PM
Cervus's Avatar
Cervus Cervus is offline
 
Join Date: 21 October 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
When taking my rabbit to the vet, they were nursing a rabbit back to health for the Humane Society. Poor thing was given nothing but Froot Loops.
Although I've already secured my place in hell, I'll still refrain from a "Silly rabbit..." joke here.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05 November 2007, 03:28 PM
inkrose115's Avatar
inkrose115 inkrose115 is offline
 
Join Date: 01 February 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
When taking my rabbit to the vet, they were nursing a rabbit back to health for the Humane Society. Poor thing was given nothing but Froot Loops. Poor bunny had soft bones, rotting teeth that had to be pulled... The vet wanted to kill the former owners. I joined in on the sentiment.
I know a rabbit that died because of malnutrition because the owner refused to listen to the pet store's advice to feed it pellets. The owner's apparently got their advice on rabbit care from Bugs Bunny cartoons. The pet store took the literally dying rabbit back and then fed it to a large python; the owner came in a few minutes after the bunny was gone and wanted it back.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05 November 2007, 03:32 PM
CenTex CenTex is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2007
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 1,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Pigs will gorge themselves into morbid obesity - there have been news stories in China about hugely obese pigs. Some captive exotics (usually ones rescued from incompetent/ignorant owners) develop neuroses and overeat, probably to death if the keepers didn't limit the food.

Given the wrong sort of food i.e. overfed on formulated foods with more usable calories than they'd find in natural/better balanced food sources, cats, dogs, pigs etc can all die of obesity.

That is a good point, I was more referring to commercially raised pigs being fed a grower ration--ground grain and soybean meal. Given that, growing pigs will not generally eat to the point of illness or toxicity. Many animals will eat to and die of obesity, but some animals will overeat at a single feed to the point of illness.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05 November 2007, 03:36 PM
franjava's Avatar
franjava franjava is offline
 
Join Date: 23 August 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Although I've already secured my place in hell, I'll still refrain from a "Silly rabbit..." joke here.
*SNORT* If they had fed the rabbit Trix instead of Froot Loops you would SOOOOO OMANK!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.