snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 04 November 2007, 06:37 PM

Fight Bing Crosby, child abuser

Comment: I recently heard that Bing Crosby used to beat his kids with bags
of oranges so that he wouldn't leave bruises. I would like to know if this
is true because I really like Bing Crosby.
Old 04 November 2007, 06:38 PM

Throw Tomato

At the risk of briefly taking this seriously, why wouldn't oranges leave bruises, then?
Old 04 November 2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
At the risk of briefly taking this seriously, why wouldn't oranges leave bruises, then?
I've just eaten an orange, and it was bruised itself. Maybe he's eating the evidence.

...oh you meant the children
Old 04 November 2007, 07:03 PM

I don't know if this exact story is true (or if oranges really won't leave bruises), but rumors have abouned for decades that Crosby did indeed abuse his sons. I think at least two of them have said as much.
Old 04 November 2007, 07:08 PM

According to a fairly recent biography of Crosby, the story's not at all clear. One of his sons said Crosby whipped his kids pretty hard with a belt; another denied that and claimed he was firm but not a monster. He clearly had, and sometimes lost, his temper. By today's standards, Crosby might be abusive; by the standards of the Thirties, I suspect he'd be looked on as a stern and strict father.
Old 04 November 2007, 07:18 PM
babyhellfire

I thought that was a joke based on his promoting orange juice,and the rumors he was a severly stern father.
Old 04 November 2007, 07:52 PM
buzzzx

I read a book by his son Gary and he said that Bing was indeed very cruel to his kids. Two of his sons committed suicide, by the way. Gary said he was very cold to his boys, as far as beating them I can't remember but psychologically he abused them. Told them they were nothing, that kind of stuff. Of course this was Gary's book and I think it came out after "Mommie Dearest" and he may have been jumping on the bandwagon.
Old 04 November 2007, 09:54 PM

Isn't the comment in the OP a joke from Family Guy?
Old 04 November 2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
There's a reference to beating someone with a bag of oranges to avoid leaving marks in The Grifters. The idea, I think, is that the individual oranges themselves are flexible, and the oranges move around in the bag, so although the accumulated weight causes pain and injury, the skin is not bruised.
Old 04 November 2007, 11:13 PM

Is someone willing to be beaten with a sack of oranges to check the validity?
Old 05 November 2007, 01:36 AM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyhellfire View Post
I thought that was a joke based on his promoting orange juice,and the rumors he was a severly stern father.
That was the first thing I thought of, too. I think the book by his son was called Going My Own Way. I kind of skimmed it a long time ago, and from what I remember, Crosby was cold and sharp-tongued and may occasionally have used corporal punishment, but he wasn't a sadist.
Old 05 November 2007, 02:25 AM
arluquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithaHat View Post
Isn't the comment in the OP a joke from Family Guy?
That's the first thing that I thought of too. Perhaps this is a case of someone taking the joke from the show as something that was based on fact.
Old 26 November 2007, 07:17 AM
Duck 182

Alright, in a part to revitalize/hijack this thread, since it being about Mr Bing and his offspring, I read somewhere that his son Lindsay committed suicide during a viewing of his dad's movie Holiday Inn, most specifically the White Christmas segment. As Wikipedia explains...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsay_Crosby

He did die in December, so a tv viewing of the movie could be possible for this time. Anyone else have any info?
Old 26 November 2007, 07:50 AM

Frying Pan

To comment strictly about oranges, I'm 49, and I only remember Crosby's widow in the OJ commercials on TV; maybe I've just forgotten the actual Crosby ads.

Also, beating someone with oranges wrapped in towel was in the movie, The Grifters. Otherwise, I'd never heard of it before. Oh, and throwing individual oranges at bad guys in Cheech Marin's Born in East LA.

Truth or extent of Crosby's abuse aside, it's sad that so many beloved celebrities have such screwed-up personal lives. They're only human, like the rest of us. But you just wish you could reach back in time and say, Marilyn, get some counseling, and don't sleep with Kennedys; Elvis, stop over-eating and over-drugging, etc.
Old 07 December 2007, 09:15 PM
AnnabellLeigh

Quote:
Is someone willing to be beaten with a sack of oranges to check the validity?
I saw this on Family Guy. It was Bing himself saying that if you beat your kids with oranges, blah blah blah and Peter said something, Bing took it as him getting smart at the mouth and proceeded to take off his belt and hit Peter.
Old 07 December 2007, 10:12 PM

In Eddie Fisher's autobiography he said that Gary Crosby told him about being abused by Bing long before Gary Crosby wrote his book. I don't think being beaten with oranges is any worse or better than being beaten with anything else.
Old 07 December 2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcitydogdad View Post
To comment strictly about oranges, I'm 49, and I only remember Crosby's widow in the OJ commercials on TV; maybe I've just forgotten the actual Crosby ads.

Fade-in: Bing Crosby, in sweater, slacks, white shoes, and white bucket tennis hat, reclines in a hammock.

Crosby: Ya know, being the head honcho at an orange groves has its rewards.

Mrs. Crosby brings him a big brimming glass of orange juice.

Crosby: Ho-ho! And one of those is getting a delivery of pure, sweet Minute Maid OJ. You see, Minute Maid doesn't use the juice of just one kind of orange for juice. Ho-no, Minute Maid blends the juice of seven different kinds of orange for that pure, fresh, natural flavor. Am I right, Mrs. Crosby?

Mrs. Crosby: You're right, you child-abusing bastard.

....well, it was something like that, anyway.
Old 08 December 2007, 12:46 AM
forceflow15

This story is a joke from Family Guy, but I do believe it (being beaten with oranges an leaving no bruises) has been a round longer, because I believe that I heard the myth before the show.

Just my 2cents.