snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 23 January 2007, 02:16 AM

Default A man being brutally beaten to death (very NFBSK & NSFW)

I caught this video yesterday and it has been haunting me ever since. It appears that two men are fighting and the one falls to the floor. Another guy breaks his arm and then proceeds to beat him to death with a fire extinguisher. The whole thing looks eerily real as if it was caught on a cell phone video. While I so hope this is not a real violent act I also suspect it could be fake or an exploitation video. I would like to be 100 percent sure this isn. Maybe someone knows the story behind this.
http://www.consumptionjunction.com/c...&type=1&page=1
Please be warned the video is extremely graphic and NSFW and NFBSK!!
Old 23 January 2007, 02:23 AM

The "cellphone cam" points at the victim's arm the moment before it's gripped for the break. It also follows the fire extinguisher as it rises and falls in between blows. Either the cellphone owner is a competent videographer, or it's a movie scene.

- P
Old 23 January 2007, 02:34 AM

Well, that was...fun. I need to stop eating my fruit cups when I click on links like that.

I'm gonna disagree with Paradiddle; it looked extremely real to me. Usually in movies, they cut away or cut somehow to make it look like some atrocity is being committed when it's really not. Like slamming someone's head with a fire extinguisher. Here, we saw him hit the guy with the extinguisher over and over, no cuts.
Old 23 January 2007, 02:47 AM

I haven't watched the video and don't plan to, but could it be from the movie Irreversible? IIRC there's an infamous scene in there where a guy is beaten to death with a fire extinguisher.
Old 23 January 2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
I haven't watched the video and don't plan to, but could it be from the movie Irreversible? IIRC there's an infamous scene in there where a guy is beaten to death with a fire extinguisher.
That's it! I just looked up the film and saw a still from it. The clip in my OP is from that movie.
I feel better now knowing it was fake. A very convincing fake I might ad.
Old 23 January 2007, 03:26 AM
Howard

That was a good clip. I might have to see if Blockbuster carries that.

Spoiler Alert! Pan's Labyrinth

I saw a promotion for Pan's Labyrinth for the first time tonight and thought it was a family-type movie. On the IMDB boards for Irreversible, they were talking about a scene in Pan's Labyrinth that's similar, but done with a wine bottle.
Old 23 January 2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
That was a good clip. I might have to see if Blockbuster carries that.

Spoiler Alert! Pan's Labyrinth

I saw a promotion for Pan's Labyrinth for the first time tonight and thought it was a family-type movie. On the IMDB boards for Irreversible, they were talking about a scene in Pan's Labyrinth that's similar, but done with a wine bottle.
Spoiler spoiler spoiler

There's little comparison, really. The scene in Pan's Labyrinth is too dark to see much of anything and not as relentless or painful to watch. A beer bottle against a standing man's face just isn't the same as a fire extinguisher crushing it against the ground, even of both are fatal.
Old 23 January 2007, 12:06 PM
Victoria J

Pan's Labyrinth is definitely not a family film. It is not particularly graphic violence but the violence does manage to be quite shocking, and the film contains scenes of torture in the "real life" segments of the film. I have also seen a number of film warnings which talk of "fantasy violence" which I believe is meant to indicate that seeing (for example) orcs killed is less distressing than seeing human characters die - Pan's Labyrinth has some extremely disturbing "fantasy violence" and should carry a warning for anyone who will be upset if little fluttering fairies get hurt...

There is some discussion of this in the Pan's Labyrinth thread, but full details would spoil the film.

It nearly gave me nightmares, but I loved it. My favourite film for a long time.

Victoria - what ? this thread was about something else ? - J
Old 23 January 2007, 10:28 PM

The clip is very real and happened in a bar not too far from my parent's house. Needless to say the guy did not survive.

I always love reading posts like that after a confirmation cite has been made-
Old 23 January 2007, 11:02 PM

For those that want more info:
IMDB Trivia about "Irreversible"

I myself felt a bit sickish watching the clip, but reading those infos, I feel better.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:19 AM
chc16

Default It was from the movie "Irreversible"

I saw the movie, that is a clip from the movie "Irreversible", it is not real. The movie is difficult to watch as the scenes are shown in reverse order and it is meant to be disorientating as well as extremely graphic. It can be rented from Netflix. A friend of mine has a copy of the movie and there is a segment in the special features that shows how that scene was filmed. It does not seem to be on the Netflix version.
Old 25 January 2007, 03:33 AM
MissBethiepoo

Whether it is real or not, basically everything that you can find on the website Consumptionjunction.com is sickening. I've accidentally fallen into that site before, never on purpose though.