homosexual. The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus
being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities in
effeminate homosexual males. For example, when I was much younger I knew a
young man who was for all intents and purposes, heterosexual. He was
mugged, and involved in a rape situation involving a tent peg. This one
event was enough to have him start on a road that eventually led to him
becoming effeminate and gay."
Old 02 November 2007, 05:37 PM

Wait a second. Women who have anal sex become lesbians? Men who have anal sex with women become gay? Or assuming it only applies to male recipents of anal penetration, men who have prostate exams become gay? Because on a scale of eroticism, I bet being raped with a tent-peg is lower than a digital rectal exam.
Old 02 November 2007, 05:50 PM

Reading

According to this post, that quote is from a transcript of an interview with McCaffrey.
Old 02 November 2007, 05:53 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Wait a second. Women who have anal sex become lesbians? Men who have anal sex with women become gay? Or assuming it only applies to male recipents of anal penetration, men who have prostate exams become gay? Because on a scale of eroticism, I bet being raped with a tent-peg is lower than a digital rectal exam.
Well, her quote indicates that (she thinks) anal sex releases hormones that make the male effeminate. So it must make women more girlie.

Remember that thread you started about how to be more girlie? We found your answer!
Old 02 November 2007, 05:57 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
Remember that thread you started about how to be more girlie? We found your answer!
Hmm. I began and deleted several different responses to that. I am for once deferring to my better judgment and keeping schtum. Very clever, though!
Old 02 November 2007, 06:00 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Hmm. I began and deleted several different responses to that. I am for once deferring to my better judgment and keeping schtum. Very clever, though!
I rephased that several times too. I was tryignt o be funny rather than insulting and it kept coming off wrong too sarcastic (against you).
Old 02 November 2007, 06:18 PM

It was perfect. I did toy briefly with the response "SO wants to know where to send the check."
Old 02 November 2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities ineffeminate homosexual males.
That may very well be true. And did you know that dihydrogen oxide is the major ingredient of acid rain?

As to authenticity, while there are indications that her depictions of homosexuality may be far from enlightened, my quick search doesn't find any sign of this quote other than the blog referenced above. If it's a coverup, it's a good one.
Old 02 November 2007, 07:17 PM

Not saying that this can confirm or deny validity of the story, but under what circumstances would anal sex be brought up in an interview of a magical fantasy author?

"So, Ms. McCaffrey, as you were writing the Pern chronicles, how did you come up with the "weyrs"? And what are your thoughts on buttNFBSKing?"

ETA: I've never read the Pern books - does a character "become" gay as a result of an anal encounter?
Old 02 November 2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
ETA: I've never read the Pern books - does a character "become" gay as a result of an anal encounter?
Not that I'm aware of. In her books, when dragons hatch prospective dragonriders are put forward, and each dragon chooses the dragonrider they'll bond with. Gold dragons are mating females, which are very rare and bond only with het women. Bronze, brown and blue dragons are the butch manly types. Green dragons are like worker bees - they're infertile females. They're the most numerous, and originally they were bonded with women. Due to the complications of dragonrider pregnancy, they started trying to bond greens with male riders instead. But the greens will only bond with a rider who shares similar tastes, as it were, so all of the male green dragonriders are gay. They bond at a very early age, but McCaffrey explains that the green hatchlings know which boys are/will be gay by sniffing pheromones or some such.

So yeah, there's a reason why Anne McCaffrey gets asked about her views on homosexuality. Pern has a mostly gay airforce.
Old 02 November 2007, 11:50 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
... The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities in effeminate homosexual males...
I would postulate that the same hormones are there in male/female coitus, and even masturbation. Even big, butch Biker-gay-dudes would have the same hormones.

They're NFBSKing called ENDORPHINS!!! If you have willing sex - of any flavor - the act will release the endorphins and you will get a happy-happy smiley feeling.

Sonova CRAP, lady, how stoopud can you be?? If I like to be NFBSKed in the ass, it's gonna be because I happen to think it feels good. If I try it, and find that it is ooky and distasteful, I won't do it again. Neither act is going to turn me gay OR straight. A simple poke in the bum sure isn't going to turn off my opinion of boobies... and the lack of a poke in the bum isn't going to turn someone else's opinion of boobies around either.

I am ishy, and conservative and straight, and her opinion on this has me totally disgusted. My gods, woman, what kind of crack are you smoking?!?! Oh, it must not be BUTT CRACK, or you might catch TEH GEY!!!

Lady, I may like your books, but your opinion on this kills puppies, curves spines, ruins credit ratings, and makes the baby Jesus cry.
Old 02 November 2007, 11:57 PM

You know, some gay men never have anal sex. Never ever.

And lots of straight boys enjoy a little, um, anal probe.

Just sayin'
Old 03 November 2007, 02:50 AM

Edited for comedy effect (but not that much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan With a 'Y' View Post
dragons hatch prospective dragonriders are put forward, and each dragon chooses the dragonrider they'll bond with. Gold dragons are mating females, which are very rare and bond only with het women. Bronze, brown and blue dragons are the butch manly types. Green dragons are like worker bees - they're infertile females. They're the most numerous, and originally they were bonded with women. Due to the complications of dragonrider pregnancy, they started trying to bond greens with male riders instead. But the greens will only bond with a rider who shares similar tastes, as it were, so all of the male green dragonriders are gay. They bond at a very early age, but McCaffrey explains that the green hatchlings know which boys are/will be gay by sniffing pheromones or some such.

What the **** are you talking about???

(Btw are the books good?)
Old 03 November 2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Wait a second. Women who have anal sex become lesbians?
No, I think it means they become effeminate, gay men.
Old 03 November 2007, 01:14 PM

I knew I'd heard this somewhere before:

Anne Mccaffrey and the tent peg mentioned on the old board.
Old 03 November 2007, 05:25 PM

I've never read the books either, but I'd've just figured the green dragons were lesbian by majority. 'Cause lesbian dragons would be more interesting (to me) than gay dragonriders.
Old 03 November 2007, 06:33 PM

How would the anus know if something was going in or out? Wouldn't defecation be just as likely to cause effeminity?
Old 03 November 2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Edited for comedy effect (but not that much)

What the **** are you talking about???

(Btw are the books good?)
I quite like her books.

Heh. I always wondered how they worked it out when the green dragons would go into heat and have mating flights with the browns. She neeever really said.
Old 04 November 2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan With a 'Y' View Post
... But the greens will only bond with a rider who shares similar tastes, as it were, so all of the male green dragonriders are gay. They bond at a very early age, but McCaffrey explains that the green hatchlings know which boys are/will be gay by sniffing pheromones or some such.
So the green dragons somehow are able to predict which men are going to get butt-raped later in their lives?

If the OP quote were accurate, it would seem as though McCaffrey were of the opinion that gays (some gays, at least) are "made" rather than born -- which seems to contradict the Pern view that it's all pre-determined.

Then again, it is a fantasy universe, so I suppose she could have different rules about it there.

(So would the quote imply that hetero couples ought not to experiment with the woman using a strap-on to do her guy from behind? Sounds as though it would make the guy lose interest in her later....)
Old 04 November 2007, 04:36 PM

Errrm ... I rather like anal sex, but I'm not gay In the S&M world, I've met straight guys that like anal penetration from female partners (strap-ons, but plugs and stuff).

I had a similar argument with a very homophobic colleague (thankfully an ex-colleague - he's the one who said I was a disgrace to women and probably a repressed lesbian because I didn't want children). I went and looked up some figures and found that oral was way more common than anal among gay guys. The same stupid NFBSKing colleague preached that AIDS got into the hetero community because of straight guys having anal sex because it was "trendy" to go (temporarily) gay