Old 29 October 2007, 06:10 PM

Glasses Store batteries in the refrigerator

Comment: I would like to inquire about storing batteries (AA AAA C & D
batteries) in the refrigerator. Does this extend their shelf life if not
used or is this an old wives tale.
Old 29 October 2007, 06:45 PM

Energizer says:
Quote:
Should I store batteries in the refrigerator?
Storing batteries in refrigerators or freezers is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. In fact, cold temperature storage can harm batteries. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures with moderate humidity levels.
Of course, "normal room temperature" is an extremely wide variance. The median temperature for standards measurement purposes is often 60 degrees F. "Room temperature", I've always assumed to be 70-ish. My room temp is usually around 80 in the summer. So, "cool dry place" might be the refrigerator, for some people. Definitely not the freezer, though!
Old 29 October 2007, 08:37 PM

I do not know about storing them there, but I have temporarily revived dead batteries by sticking them in the freezer for a few minutes. I have used that trick to work DVD or VCR remotes when the batteries were too weak to do the job.
Old 29 October 2007, 08:55 PM
Suit_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I do not know about storing them there, but I have temporarily revived dead batteries by sticking them in the freezer for a few minutes. I have used that trick to work DVD or VCR remotes when the batteries were too weak to do the job.
This also used to apply to those glow-in-the-dark rings that you used to be able to get at the circus and in theme parks. If they were getting weak, you threw them in the refrigerator to revive the liquid inside. Of course this never worked.
Old 29 October 2007, 11:53 PM

The batteries in the freezer trick never worked for long, but you could get a few more button pushes out of it. Of course, the energy required to operate a remote is pretty small to start with: you can use batteries that do not work in anything else to power the remote. So it could be that the effect is insignificant.
Old 03 April 2008, 09:59 AM
josephz2va

Default Yes and No to a battery in the refrigerator

These are two quotes I've found to answer this.

To loosely translate, you can however given trial and error experience that I've done, don't stick it in the refrigerator for a very long time.

It's like a soda can or an antifreeze can left unused in your car during the Winter. Eventually, it's going to find time to crack the seal somewhere in the package and leak it's fluid.

Energizer
Quote:
Storing batteries in refrigerators or freezers is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. In fact, cold temperature storage can harm batteries. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures with moderate humidity levels
Wikipedia
Quote:
Battery life can be extended by storing the batteries at a low temperature, as in a refrigerator or freezer, because the chemical reactions in the batteries are slower. Such storage can extend the life of alkaline batteries by ~5%; while the charge of rechargeable batteries can be extended from a few days up to several months. In order to reach their maximum voltage, batteries must be returned to room temperature; therefore, alkaline battery manufacturers like Duracell do not recommend refrigerating or freezing batteries.
Old 25 April 2008, 05:01 AM
Antiherohag

I come from a cold climate, and in my experience, my frozen batteries leak. I don't know howm but the stuff inside comes out after they`ve been laying around in my unheated shed for a while. These are my cheap AA batties you get at corner stores and such.
Old 07 June 2008, 08:04 AM
The Game

Batteries already have a long shelf life, assuming they're have never been used. If you're looking for a trick to get them to work for a bit for you, say you're stuck watching another boring space launch and the batteries die. Take 'em out, roll them between your hands a few times, fairly swiftly, replace them and they will work again for a bit.
Old 11 June 2008, 12:16 AM

My mother and grandmother have always done this, except they use the freezer instead. I stick mine in a drawer, and they still work fine.
Old 11 June 2008, 01:26 AM

Store batteries? In order to do that, don't you have to have extra ones? It's all I can do to keep all the battery-operated items in the house filled with functional batteries, much less have any left over.
Old 11 June 2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Store batteries? In order to do that, don't you have to have extra ones? It's all I can do to keep all the battery-operated items in the house filled with functional batteries, much less have any left over.
That was more or less my situation, until I figured out the trick. I bought something like a hundred rechargable batteries, and always keep 40 of them in the chargers. Problem solved.
Old 11 June 2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
If you're looking for a trick to get them to work for a bit for you, say you're stuck watching another boring space launch and the batteries die. Take 'em out, roll them between your hands a few times, fairly swiftly, replace them and they will work again for a bit.
In my experience, you don't even need to roll them around. Just take them out and put them back in and they'll work for a bit longer. Of course, this won't work indefinitely.
Old 11 June 2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker View Post
In my experience, you don't even need to roll them around. Just take them out and put them back in and they'll work for a bit longer. Of course, this won't work indefinitely.
I usually swap the positions around. Seems to work. My cable remote now has 2 years on one set of batteries and is just now winding down to where I will have to replace them.