Old 29 October 2007, 06:06 PM

Icon220 How stewardesses clean pantyhose

Comment: Do airline stewardesses routinely clean their pantyhose by
placing them inside a hotel coffee maker (where the filter rests), and
running the hot water through? I have heard this said on talk radio
programs on occasion. Stewardesses or business women will call in to say
that this is the fastest and best way to clean their hose. When the water
has all run through, the person simply takes them out to hang and dry. I
NEVER use the room makers because of this suspicion. Makes sense to me.
Old 29 October 2007, 06:09 PM

Who the hell still wears pantyhose? And how is the method outlined here easier than washing them out in the sink with some soap?
Old 29 October 2007, 06:10 PM

I always washed mine by adding warm water and woolite in the sink and swishing them thru. That seems faster and easier than the coffee maker approach.
Old 29 October 2007, 06:10 PM

What? Why would this be better or faster than pouring some hot water into the sink and adding a little soap? Surely water as hot as that going through a coffeemaker would cause nylons to shrink?
Old 29 October 2007, 06:11 PM

Even if this turns out to be a total fabrification and UL/hoax and there is verifiable proof that no one has ever done this as god is my witness I will never, ever, use a hotel coffee pot again as long as I live.

Its one of those things that I would have never thought of and now the ugh factor is killing me.
Old 29 October 2007, 06:13 PM
Class Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Who the hell still wears pantyhose?
They still appear to be part of the uniform for the female flight attendants on most of the airlines I've flown on recently (with the exception of Southwest).
Old 29 October 2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Who the hell still wears pantyhose?
Lots of women do, although I'm not one of them.

But don't most flight attendants wear pants now?
Old 29 October 2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Yes. When hotels went to those dinky coffeepots, a full pair of pantyhose wouldn't fit in the filter basket anymore. So flight attendants switched from skirts/pantyhose to pants/kneehighs.
Old 29 October 2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
So flight attendants switched from skirts/pantyhose to pants/kneehighs.
Unfortunately, the pants require a full-size catering percolator. The hotel banquet facilities keep having to change their locks to keep out all the pantless flight attendants.
Old 29 October 2007, 07:00 PM
Class Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
As a serious answer:

From what I've observed it just depends on the airline. I know that Southwest's flight attendants wear pants, but many other airlines I've been on still have their female FAs wearing pantyhose.

I believe no matter what, though, they all have to wear a watch and makeup. Every female flight attendant I've ever met for every airline has had that restriction.
Old 29 October 2007, 07:32 PM

I'm going with false.

Unless you go really high end, pantyhose is fairly cheap anyway. I guess airline staff like most of us travelling either carry enough clean clothes to tide them over for the duration and stuff their soiled clothing into a bag to bring home and wash, or if the duration of their time away is lengthy, send it to be laundered - after all their other clothing gets soiled (normal wear soiled), at the end of the flight you've got to launder your other uniform items, other underwear, and perhaps off-duty wear so if you've got to send clothing to the laundry why not chuck a pair of pantyhose in with everything else? Or buy a new cheap pair if the laundry wants to charge extra for them.

It's just salacious nonsense. Airline stewardesses - unortunately the target of salacious jokes. Pantyhose - salacious. Now put them together.
Old 29 October 2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Who the hell still wears pantyhose? And how is the method outlined here easier than washing them out in the sink with some soap?

I still wear them.

Morrigan
Old 29 October 2007, 09:03 PM

Wow, more power to them if the hose last long enough to wash them. I usually get a run in mine before I even have them long enough to launder them.
Old 29 October 2007, 09:09 PM

Ponder

Perhaps this rumor is a viral marketing attempt to increase sales at Starbucks and/or other coffee shoppes.
Old 30 October 2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
Wow, more power to them if the hose last long enough to wash them. I usually get a run in mine before I even have them long enough to launder them.
Well that's a good point. I've never known a woman who could get more than 2-3 uses out of a pair of pantyhose before they laddered or tore, and often one use only. Either this is the nature of the thing, or I just hang out with carelesss women. I'm picking the former.
Old 30 October 2007, 03:06 AM

"I've never known a woman who could get more than 2-3 uses out of a pair of pantyhose before they laddered or tore ..."

Hah! I've had pairs that lasted me nearly a year, probably longer, and I wore hose every day to work, even under pants. I was going to send one pair of the hose to the manufacturer as a curiosity, but the label faded so I didn't know whose they were. The pantyhose only faded a little. They must have been either L'Eggs or Hanes, since I only buy pantyhose from the One Hanes Place discount catalog.

If you're worried about how clean your hotel coffeemaker is, wash it yourself, using the wrapped up soap chip that's on the sink when you check in.
Old 30 October 2007, 12:45 PM
JessBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
Even if this turns out to be a total fabrification and UL/hoax and there is verifiable proof that no one has ever done this as god is my witness I will never, ever, use a hotel coffee pot again as long as I live.

Its one of those things that I would have never thought of and now the ugh factor is killing me.
Why not? Even if someone has used it for that, you're running boiling water through it afterwards. Anyway, everything gets washed between guests.
Old 30 October 2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa who else View Post
[IIf you're worried about how clean your hotel coffeemaker is, wash it yourself, using the wrapped up soap chip that's on the sink when you check in.
I'd be more worried about soap residue tainting my coffee than a little dilute stewardess sweat.
Old 30 October 2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa who else View Post
"I've never known a woman who could get more than 2-3 uses out of a pair of pantyhose before they laddered or tore ..."

Hah! I've had pairs that lasted me nearly a year, probably longer, and I wore hose every day to work, even under pants. I was going to send one pair of the hose to the manufacturer as a curiosity, but the label faded so I didn't know whose they were. The pantyhose only faded a little. They must have been either L'Eggs or Hanes, since I only buy pantyhose from the One Hanes Place discount catalog.
I'm #2. (Nothing beats a great pair of L'Eggs, I tell you what.) I don't wear mine a lot, but I've had them for a reeeeeeally long time. Probably a couple years. I'd always get p@#$ed at my sister when she'd borrow mine and put a hole in them with her god-awful long toenails. And she'd stretch out my shoes... but that's another rant.
Old 30 October 2007, 01:29 PM

I use hotel coffee makers for tea so I usually run it a few times through with plain water anyway. They are not cleaned out between quests. The first batch is brown from residue.

The maids seem confused by someone using the coffee maker for tea even though bags are provided. They are not always recharged.