snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Language

Old 21 January 2007, 10:50 PM

Icon84 Chilitos

Comment: One rumor that I am pretty sure is true that was that Taco Bell had to change the name of the Chilito to Chili-Cheese Burrito because Chilito is spanish slang for "little penis". I even saw it covered by a hispanic comedian once, I believe on the Latin Kings of Comedy. The comedian claimed that he used to work the drive thru and whenever someone ordered one, he would say "drive around, I'll give you a chilito"
Old 22 January 2007, 07:26 PM
matches

Icon103 chilly cheese

Sadly, the chilly cheese burito is nolonger offered by taco bell.

I do not recall it ever being refered to as a chilito. It is possible during early test marketing that might have been the case, but I do not recall it ever having nation wide distribution under that name.

Also, that product, a warm and gooey concotion, has been off menu for at least a couple of years now.
Old 22 January 2007, 08:09 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by matches View Post
Sadly, the chilly cheese burito is nolonger offered by taco bell.

I do not recall it ever being refered to as a chilito. It is possible during early test marketing that might have been the case, but I do not recall it ever having nation wide distribution under that name.

Also, that product, a warm and gooey concotion, has been off menu for at least a couple of years now.
I very well remember it being sold as the Chilito. And I very much agree with you (no, I'm not stalking you!) that it was mighty yummy!

Silas
Old 23 January 2007, 02:58 AM

Glasses

This website states that a Taco Bell chilito has 383 calories.

It was worth it.

I want one now.

Morning
The Taco Bell chicken tacquito I just had was almost as good and no, please don't tell me the calories.
Old 23 January 2007, 01:13 PM

Oh, it was a chilito all right. I loved those damn things. Are they really gone? The chili cheese burrito is still on their website.

I haven't had a convenient Taco Bell for a while, but I was seriously considering going to our new one today. But if the chili cheese burritos are gone, what's the point?

ETA: I'll go there anyway. For research purposes. I'll report in on my findings.

Last edited by pob14; 23 January 2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
Old 23 January 2007, 06:46 PM

Ah, there's nothing I won't do for you people.

Chili cheese burritos are alive and well here, and cost a mere $1.19. Matches, don't ever scare me like that again!
Old 24 January 2007, 04:08 PM
matches

Must be a Jersey Thing

Admitadly I haven't been to a Taco Bell since their recent unplesentness, however prior to that I had not seen a chilli cheese burrito in the past couple of years.

Hmmm...it must be a regional thing, sort of like poutine in Canada, some people are lucky enough to live in a region where it is offered, and others, like mysel are condemned to eat only disco fries and dream of what might have been.

You know when I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the line in Hotel California about the "warm smell of Chilitos" or was that Calitos, or colitus?
Old 24 January 2007, 04:27 PM

The Urban Dictionary gives the first definition as Mexican-Spanish slang for a small penis.

It must mean a few other things though - there's also an Arizona ghost town called Chilito, and a mine.

Just because it meant "small penis" doesn't mean they would have to rename it. If I understand US terms correctly, you still eat weiners, don't you?
Old 24 January 2007, 05:14 PM
evilrabbit

My brother worked at Taco Bell around the time they changed the name, and someone (I think it was a customer) told him this story. He was in high school at the time, so that would make it around ten years ago, give or take.

You can still get the chili-cheese burrito around here, unless they got rid of them in the last couple weeks.
Old 26 January 2007, 07:09 PM
Hubert Cumberdale

They got rid of the chili cheese burrito in my area around 1997 or so. I remember because I used to get them all the time and around 1997 the Taco Bells near me stopped selling them one by one. If they've come back recently I have no idea because I don't go there nearly as much anymore. Maybe I should check though.

One thing about them I remember is they were a gamble. You could go one day and get a perfect Chilito (good consistency, warm, full) and the next day you could get one that was inedible (too liquidy, cold, nearly empty). Whenever my brother would come home with a Taco Bell bag I would ask him, "Did you win?"
Old 26 January 2007, 10:21 PM
kalbert3

There used to be a chain of Zantigo fast food restaurants that sold Chilitos, and they were mighty tasty. Then Taco Bell bought the resaurants and added chilitos to their menu, then later changed the name to chili cheese burrito.
I thought all the Zantigos were gone until I found one in 2003, just a few miles away.
The website I found (Zantigo.com or Zantigo.net) still lists Chilito (Hot or Mild) on the menu. There a just few Zantigos left around the MSP metro area.
Old 27 January 2007, 12:02 AM
bjohn13

I asked my Mexican brother-in-law what chilito meant in English, and he responded, "that's a chili-cheese burrito at Taco Bell".
Old 17 April 2007, 08:36 AM
E.C. in AB with 3

Ponder Dear Matches, re: Chilitos

The Hotel California line is "Warm smell of colitas..." Now, at the time, I thought the word was pronounced "coletus", like the mushroom (never mind), and it was a common type of marijuana. Then, when my Spanish improved, I realized it mean shrimp or prawn tails. The "ita" ending is a diminutive, which means a sort of affectionate term for something little. But then I found out that yes, it was referring to that type of marijuana I was used to smoking, but the word was "colitas" or "little tails" (like of prawns) because that's what the bunch of buds looked like (think Thai sticks.)
So it was full-circle for me.
I think it would have been more mind-bending to me if I hadn't actually quit smoking the stuff.
I don't know enough Spanish to know what to call a small penis. I know what to call the female parts and the testicles if that's any help.
Old 17 April 2007, 04:21 PM
Milkshake

I've never heard of it, but it sounds like it'd give me food poisoning.
Old 17 April 2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert3 View Post
There used to be a chain of Zantigo fast food restaurants that sold Chilitos, and they were mighty tasty. Then Taco Bell bought the resaurants and added chilitos to their menu, then later changed the name to chili cheese burrito.
I thought all the Zantigos were gone until I found one in 2003, just a few miles away.
The website I found (Zantigo.com or Zantigo.net) still lists Chilito (Hot or Mild) on the menu. There a just few Zantigos left around the MSP metro area.
Those aren't actually "left", they're new.

A new company consisting partially of ownership of the old Zantigos has set up some new restaurants, mainly in your area.

I miss the taco burrito.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshake View Post
Huh? I'm a bit lost here. How can you comment on whether or it is contaminated?
Old 17 April 2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
This website states that a Taco Bell chilito has 383 calories.

It was worth it.

I want one now.

Morning
The Taco Bell chicken tacquito I just had was almost as good and no, please don't tell me the calories.
My fave - 7-layer burrito - 520 calories. But I don't get guacamole or rice, so can I pretty please still eat them twice a week??

I also typically get a tostada as well - 250 calories. Whew no wonder I still have my baby bearing hips!
Old 17 April 2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Huh? I'm a bit lost here. How can you comment on whether or it is contaminated?
And are you somehow more vulnerable to food poisoning than other people?
Old 18 April 2007, 12:24 PM

I was as Taco Bell yesterday, and I did see "chili cheese burrito" on the menu.