snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 21 January 2007, 09:05 PM

Icon86 Don't eat the first snow

Comment: I was raised by my parents with the "knowledge" that eating of
the first snow fall of the year was eating dirty snow. Is this true? We
always ate of the 2nd snow making snow ice cream but never the first. The
reason I ask is because the wife has never heard of this.
Old 21 January 2007, 09:07 PM

When I was a child, my best friend's mother always said this and refused to make her delicious snow cream for us until the second snow. It seemed silly even when I was seven years old.
Old 21 January 2007, 09:12 PM
Warlok5

Spit Take

I've heard of it - there's a theory that as the flakes form they pick up more small airborne particles than rain might, since they are suspended longer and "trap" as they grow... and that the first snow is laden with the particles (some also say the first snow has the largest flakes?). Then the second snow is formed in more "pure" air.

Can't say I believe either - but as someone who does like to make martinis with fresh snow (vice ice for chilling), I can say that there is more of a mineral taste in snow (first or otherwise) than what you'd otherwise expect in what appears to be pristine white "pure" frozen water. Even more "minerally" than mountain streams.

War 'on that thought - off to the porch' lok
Old 21 January 2007, 10:10 PM
Warlok5

OK- here it is. You'll have to take my word that I chilled it with snow, but it is tasty!

War 'I love the way the stainless reflects olives' lok
Old 21 January 2007, 10:50 PM
Bee

Great picture.... love that reflection!

Makes me want to own stainless martini glasses... and drink a martini... and I don't even like vermouth! Mebbe I'll just eat an olive.

Bee
Old 21 January 2007, 10:57 PM
Warlok5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlok5 View Post
OK- here it is. You'll have to take my word that I chilled it with snow, but it is tasty!

[IMG]Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting[/IMG]

War 'I love the way the stainless reflects olives' lok
Edited to fix picture link!
Old 22 January 2007, 12:12 AM
lazerus the duck

Buy icecream instead.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:51 AM
NobbyNobbs

The only reason I don't generally eat the first snow is because the first snow around here is usually only a frosting, and it's hard to get any off the ground without getting grass or dirt as well. After the ground has cooled down enough, subsequent snows accumulate enough to eat.

Maybe that's where this wives' tale came from?
Old 22 January 2007, 02:41 AM

My parents and grandparents always told me to not eat any snow, because it was dirty and the yellow snow was very bad to eat.

Later years in one of my science class I learned that in order for water to from a ice cristal, it must any inpurities out first. So snow is when formed is as clean or cleaner than rain drops. Since water in a liquid state is a good solvent it is likely to pick up more stuff as it falls to earth than water in a solid state. The big queston is how much stuff fall on the snow while on the ground.
Old 22 January 2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Great picture.... love that reflection!

Makes me want to own stainless martini glasses... and drink a martini... and I don't even like vermouth! Mebbe I'll just eat an olive.

Bee
Dirty Martini:
Combine 2 ounces premium vodka or gin in a shaker with ice and a splash (no more than 1/4 oz) of olive juice. Stir (or shake, if you're drinking with James Bond) and strain into a chilled glass. Garnish with three olives on a pick. Enjoy while reflecting upon the pointlessness of vermouth.

Esprise "dirty Grey Goose martini, rocks on the side" Me
Old 22 January 2007, 02:10 PM
bjohn13

It's odd to me that people actually eat snow. Coming from a place that gets a lot of the stuff, it has never crossed my mind, even as a child, to eat the stuff.

Oddly enough, when I was a child, we had an "artificial snow maker" (more commonly known as a snow-cone maker) to make such treats as the OP suggests.

Eating natural snow just seems kind of gross to me.
Old 22 January 2007, 02:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing, originally I thought it was maybe an American thing but obviously not since your reply.

Why would anyone eat any snow? It's frozen water people, get a Mr Frosty and avoid all chances you're about to put an insect in your mouth.

Freaks!
Old 22 January 2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
Buy icecream instead.
But...but...what's special about that? The best I recall, my friend's mom's snow cream wasn't nearly as good as the ice cream sitting in my mom's freezer, but it was just so special to get a treat made from snow.
Old 22 January 2007, 09:50 PM

Around here once the snow is on the ground we start getting low-level inversions (where the air closer to the ground is colder than the air above it, so no convection currents), so the air quality gets MUCH worse.

Anyway, it was always told to me as "don't eat the yellow snow."

My avatar can tell you about that...
Old 23 January 2007, 01:06 AM
woodland elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Dirty Martini:
Combine 2 ounces premium vodka or gin in a shaker with ice and a splash (no more than 1/4 oz) of olive juice. Stir (or shake, if you're drinking with James Bond) and strain into a chilled glass. Garnish with three olives on a pick. Enjoy while reflecting upon the pointlessness of vermouth.

Esprise "dirty Grey Goose martini, rocks on the side" Me

James Bond was wrong, you never shake a Martini! Also, if you use gin you really don't want to shake it, you will bruise the gin. Some say that you can't but at "bartender school", they made us try it, there is a definite difference. Shaking actually causes oxidation that can change the flavor of gin. (and I swear by using aged ice because it melts slower = less dilution = better Martini)

Don't let me get started on Vodka in a martini.

I also agree with some of the others. I grew up in Northern Iowa, we have snow from November (sometimes October) to early April and the thought has never crossed my mind to eat it. I don't drink out of puddles. I suppose that I have let snow fall in my mouth when it was falling, and same with rain, but I would never pick it up off the ground. That is weird to me. Maybe if I purposely collected it in a clean container.

Woodland "well, it is supposed to snow on Wednesday..." Elf
Old 23 January 2007, 01:29 AM
Warlok5

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodland elf View Post

Don't let me get started on Vodka in a martini.
why not? as long as you specify vodka? Any combo of two liquors can be refered to as a martini - although I agree Gin is traditional (and the superior). What's your opinion of straight, olive, twist, kissed, misted, l-twist, onions, and even ginger... all in gin w/ hint of d-v?

Quote:
I don't drink out of puddles. I suppose that I have let snow fall in my mouth when it was falling, and same with rain, but I would never pick it up off the ground.
But that's exactly it... puddles don't keep the clean stuff fresh on top. With snow, you can get the very freshest while still falling; or clear of top inch and have 3/6" of fresh stuff without ever getting to mud or ground.

And again on the shake versus stir - perfect point for why I like snow when I can get it - Don't really have to do either! Especially with a "dry/fluffy snow, you have enough "texture" to disperse and mix water/alcohol without more than a slight swirl. Cold drink, proper proportion of "ancient chinese secret, hint of mineral "snow" flavor, and added fun of doing it. What a better home-made martini???!!!!

War 'can't mix with R-wine I'm having now' lok
Old 23 January 2007, 07:30 AM
woodland elf

Quote:
why not? as long as you specify vodka? Any combo of two liquors can be refered to as a martini - although I agree Gin is traditional (and the superior). What's your opinion of straight, olive, twist, kissed, misted, l-twist, onions, and even ginger... all in gin w/ hint of d-v?
Because a Martini made with Vodka is NOT a Martini. If you were to come into my bar and ordered a vodka Martini we would recomend a Vodka and Vermouth because our Martini's don't come with vodka. Until James Bond there was no such thing as a vodka Martini and since I work at a bar with a setting well before James Bond, we won't accept it. In the 20's nobody had heard of James Bond.

Don't get me wrong, if you want Vodka and Vermouth we will get you that. We will drop in what ever you want, you just have to ask. We aren't that snooty.

If you use onions it is a Gibson. I have a few Dirty Martini drinkers and a couple Martini's with a twist drinkers and one Gibson drinker. I have honestly not come across anybody asking for any of the other.

I am not trying to be snarky or anything, but if James Bond hadn't said "Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred" Then maybe somebody would have come up with Vodka and Vermouth and gave it it's own name. Now, I prefer a Dirty Vodka and Vermouth with 4 olives.

To quote my boss: "A Manhattan is made with Bourbon, if you make it with Scotch it has it's own name, a Rob Roy. A Martini is made of Gin, if you mix it with Vodka, give it a name, we will pass it around." ~Dan Tucker

Woodland -Still don't think I would eat snow- Elf
Old 23 January 2007, 07:54 AM

I call bullshit on that. There are other reasons to not eat natural snow (such as that it might be yellow...), but the first snow is not different. If anything, it's cleaner, since you don't accidentally dig into deeper layers of old snow which may have accumulated dirt. Basically, snow is just frozen distilled water, which should be pretty clean.
Old 23 January 2007, 01:17 PM

This UL is immortalized in A Charlie Brown Christmas. The kids are all catching snowflakes on their tongues. Lucy tells Linus that she never eats the first snow of the season. Linus says, "Looks ripe to me!"
Old 24 January 2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodland elf View Post
Also, if you use gin you really don't want to shake it, you will bruise the gin.
I don't know what kind of crazy bartending schools you have out there in Iowa, but around here, "bruising" a martini just means ice shards get broken off in the process of shaking, leaving a thin film of chips that might give a drink an unappealing look and texture for the few seconds it takes for them to melt. It's not unique to gin; it can happen with any drink. I also have a hard time understanding why it would be worse to do with gin, unless you figure that a person drinking a martini made with something other than gin is probably less of a purist.
Quote:
What's your opinion of straight, olive, twist, kissed, misted, l-twist, onions, and even ginger... all in gin w/ hint of d-v?
I know you were asking woodland elf, not me, but I have to weigh in on the "with a kiss" modifier, as well as "once over" or "whisper." Not in my bar, punk.