snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 05 October 2007, 04:26 AM

Fight James Woods vs. Sean Young

From a 21 September 2007 Entertainment Weekly (EW) feature story on actress Sean Young:

Quote:
Some bitterness dies hard. In a 1992 EW cover story on Young, [James] Woods sounded a note of contrition when he said that "I love and admire Sean," and elsewhere he has been quoted as saying "Maybe she'll say it's time to bury the hatchet. I can only be a gentleman and say I hope for the best." But when approached again for this piece, he struck back at the actress in four angry and raw e-mails sent to EW over the course of 12 hours, cc'd to his lawyer and publicist. He wrote, among other things, that the actress perpetrated a "jihad of terror" against him and his now ex-wife, that this all "was certainly not about spurned advances, as they were most assuredly not spurned," and that "I am sure it is fashionable to bash the guy (yawn) and pity the poor woman." (He also stressed that a highly publicized urban legend, wherein Young superglued his penis to his leg, was entirely false and if the magazine suggested otherwise he'd take EW to court. The actress also denies the incident.) His lawyer quickly followed up Woods' eruption with an e-mail saying the messages had been accidentally sent, and insisted EW only quote his client using the following statement: "These incidents took place over 20 years ago, and I have moved on and would suggest Ms. Young do the same."
Old 05 October 2007, 06:36 PM

I read that article. Sean Young claims that he got mad when she refused his advances. But she claims the same thing about everyone else who has ever had a problem with her.

And not one but two people interrupted her interview to get a picture with her which she graciously did, saying both times, "this was not staged, I promise."
Old 05 October 2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
In a 1992 EW cover story...
15 years. Somebody, I'm not saying who, is in need of some closure. 15 years is a long time to be still so freaking angry.
Old 05 October 2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
15 years. Somebody, I'm not saying who, is in need of some closure. 15 years is a long time to be still so freaking angry.
And the events in question happened even longer ago than 1992.
Old 05 October 2007, 07:50 PM

Icon22

Quote:
He also stressed that a highly publicized urban legend, wherein Young superglued his penis to his leg, was entirely false
Even if this had happened, isn't it something that could have been rectified fairly easily through the application of a solvent (such as acetone)? I get the impression people think this sort of prank would inevitably result in the painful tearing of flesh.

- snopes
Old 05 October 2007, 07:51 PM

Soapbox

Some therapy, and some time far away from the camera will help these people, IMO.
Old 05 October 2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemanager0610 View Post
Some therapy, and some time far away from the camera will help these people, IMO.
I don't know about therapy, but Sean Young's had plenty of time away from the camera.
Old 06 October 2007, 12:13 AM

I read this article when it was in EW. I love how Young downplayed the extent of her Catwoman stunt. She made it sound like it was this very innocent thing and that she was persecuted because of her gender; yet everyone else involved seems to remember it differently:

From the July 1992 Issue of Playboy:

Quote:
Keaton: Oh, boy, talk about really knowing you're in Hollywood. One day after Annette was out of the running, I was talking to Mark Canton, who was then in charge at Warner Bros. and heading up the Batman project. We were in his office and he said, "I'm getting calls about Catwoman from every actress you can name." He began going down the list for me when his phone rang. He picked it up and said, "Yes, fine, but no, I can't right now. I'm busy." Just as we started talking again, there was another phone call. "Please do me a favor," he said. "Tell her I can't see her now. I'm in a meeting." About thirty seconds later, the door flew open and in walked Sean Young, who was a woman on a mission- but on a level the likes of which I'd never seen before.

Playboy: What did she do?

Keaton: Sean came in and said, "How could I not be Catwoman? It's so obvious that I'm supposed to be Catwoman." It was so strange and bizarre. Sean was dressed catlike. No actual fur was involved, but I recall her hair being tied up with a ribbon that kind of picked her hair up. At a fast glance, it looked like she had ears on the back of her head. She was dressed in all black- big high boots, leotard and shorts.

Playboy: And she made her pitch for the role right then?

Keaton: Yeah, on the move. She went on for about two and a half minutes with what seemed like one sentence. It was a lot like Bob Dylan's book "Tarantula." While Sean was talking, I noticed that she had a metallic object in her hand. I flashed on it for a second and prayed to God it wasn't a gun. I wasn't alone in that- Mark had the same feeling. But it wasn't a gun, it was a walkie-talkie. I thought I would diffuse the situation by bringing her back to earth. I said, "Hey, first of all, how you doing? I haven't seen you for a long time, and you look great"- which was true. That threw her for a couple seconds, and then she went on again. I asked her what she was doing with the walkie-talkie. She said- nicely, she wasn't mean- "I'm talking to somebody." The walkie-talkie was crackling, and I heard things like "Roger." I said, "Why don't you shut if off? Let's have a conversation." And I think she did shut it off. For a moment, I felt that might straighten her up. I said, "Hey, do me a favor. I'm talking to Mark about something. Let me finish up here- we're just about done- and then I'll leave and you guys can have your meeting." Sean talked for another minute and then went out and waited. I left and she came back in and talked with Mark. I don't know what happened after that. But it was wild and totally eccentric and great fun. I'll tell you something: If the woman could bottle that drive with a sense of humor, she'd be unstoppable.

Playboy: Is the sense of humor missing?

Keaton: For the most part, yes.
And, from The Modern Amazons: Warrior Women Onscreen, by Dominique Mainon and James Ursini:

Quote:
Sean Young (who had been slated to play Vicki Vale in the first Batman but had to withdraw due to an injury) is said to have gone as far as showing up at the Warner Bros. lot in a homemade Catwoman costume with an entourage of assistants carrying walkie-talkies to track down Tim Burton. According to Marion Doughter, the casting director at the time, Burton hid in the bathroom.
Old 07 October 2007, 08:04 AM

Icon103

Quote:
He also stressed that a highly publicized urban legend, wherein Young superglued his penis to his leg, was entirely false and if the magazine suggested otherwise he'd take EW to court. The actress also denies the incident.
Gosh, and why was it a "highly publicized" rumor that people thought was true? Because he was the NFBSKer who was helping to spread it!

Quote:
Q: What was your favorite rogue rumor about you in the press?

A: Back in the old Sean Young days, there was a whole thing that she glued my dick to my leg with Krazy Glue, and I said, as a joke, "Well, actually, it was to my ankle," and for some reason it got out. So I thought, well, maybe I won't dispel that rumor.

Of course that didn't happen, but it was kind of a good one to let loose. Actually, I guess I did contribute to the fact that people think I had a wild and woolly love life.

Q: Is it fun to start those rumors?

A: Yeah, it's fun, because the press is like a big bass, you just stick a hook in their mouth and they'll take it. You know, I have to say that, with all due respect, the press is pretty gullible, especially the gossip press. They love to write about anything. You just go along and feed them crap and they eat it.
Old 11 October 2007, 12:10 AM
finkles2000

Disney

Does anyone else vaguely remember Sean Young on Oprah in a Catwoman suit, with a whip, purring about how great she'd be in it? Perhaps it wasn't Oprah . . . She's always seemed to have a few screws loose to me.
Old 11 October 2007, 09:12 AM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkles2000 View Post
Does anyone else vaguely remember Sean Young on Oprah in a Catwoman suit, with a whip, purring about how great she'd be in it? Perhaps it wasn't Oprah . . . She's always seemed to have a few screws loose to me.
yeah, i remember seeing clips of it, and it was on The Joan Rivers Show. talk about clash of the crazies, those two.
Old 13 October 2007, 02:23 AM
finkles2000

Joan Rivers! Right. Thanks for that.