snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 10 September 2007, 05:05 AM

Default Beer before liquor, never sicker; liquor before beer, never fear

Any truth to this little saying? Do you get sick from following up liquor with beer? I don't drink beer, and I've never had the desire to test it out, so I am relying on the experiences of snopesaholics anonymous.
Old 10 September 2007, 05:13 AM

I've heard it said many a time that one should never mix ones drinks in any order. "Don't mix the grape and the grain" is a popular saying.

But I've had beer after spirits (which I assume you mean by liquor), beer followed by spirits, beer followed by wine, beer after wine, wine after spirits, spirits after wine and beer... and any other combination you can think of and not had any ill effects greater than would be expected from consuming that amount of alcohol without switching drink types.

Not all tonight I hasten to add.

Maybe I'm just weird, but on personal experience I suspect the notion is phooey. Other's MMV

Last edited by Eddylizard; 10 September 2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10 September 2007, 05:16 AM

I've heard "don't mix liquors" meaning don't drink a bunch of different types of liquor, but it's never ever given me or any of my friends any problems to drink many different types of mixed drinks and shots. As for drinking beer and liquor in any order, I can see how that could pose a problem, but again being a non-beer drinker I don't plan on testing the theory out.

Not sure why the order matters, but I'm sure someone will come up with a possible explanation.
Old 10 September 2007, 11:56 AM

Squirrel

Growing up it was:

"Beer before whiskey, always risky. Whiskey before beer, never fear."

We discussed this for a few minutes in my Human Anatomy and Physiology class at university when the subject came down to metabolising alcohol. The professor put it down to this - when drinking liquor, you reach your "drunken" point quite quickly and you know when to slow down or else you get sick. If you drink your beer after that, it is likely at a very slow pace, as you will likely not have the ability to drink it faster and that pace will usually not put you past the point of no return in the bathroom. However, if you start with the beer, and you reach your "drunken" point, although you will slow down, a 12 ounce beer might be had over time, but that 2 ounce shooter taken quickly will throw you over the sick line, and then you look silly, feel ashamed, and make the vow to never drink again.

Not that professors are infallible, but it sounded good to me (and still does).
Old 10 September 2007, 12:12 PM

All I know about mixing liquors and such is that I can't start out with something creamy(like a russian qualude or white russian), have one or two of those and then switch to something fruity or sour (Like a midori sour or sweet, or rum and coke or whiskey/coke or names of some drinks I can't post here )...

If I start out one way, I have to finish the night that way. I can do shots of any kind (except straight tequila) no matter what I drink.

Maybe it's just my own body(I'm sure it is), but I can't mix drink "types". I've done it and it wasn't pretty.

toni

Generally, I'd start on the less strong stuff and work my way up. Maybe there's a reason for this...

I think this may be something that varies person to person. The few times I've been drunk (birthdays mostly), I've mixed and matched beer, liquor, and mixed drinks all night long and not gotten sick or hungover. But then maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

The only time I ever gotten sick from alcohol involved a few gin and tonics and a few Long Island Iced Teas in a short period of time on an empty stomach :o. So, that was just a case of me being stupid .
Old 10 September 2007, 12:13 PM

I've never heard the rhyme in the OP, the one I know is:

Beer then Wine - feel fine, Wine then Beer - feel queer

Not sure what the explanation of it is supposed to be, but I do tend to find mixing beer and wine doesn't seem to really agree with me, regardless of the order!

UEL's explanation for the order of drinking beer and whiskey makes a lot of sense to me.

Scout.
Old 10 September 2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
UEL's explanation for the order of drinking beer and whiskey makes a lot of sense to me.
The same theory could apply to wine rather than whiskey as both are stronger than beer.
Old 10 September 2007, 01:18 PM

I've heard it explained like this:

What makes you sick are the other alcohols, ie those that are not clean C2H5OH, the traditional alcohol (etanol). All alcohol contains these to some extent, some more, some less. These substances are not completely unwanted, as they also gives a lot of the taste. Good vodka, for instance, is very clean, and leaves little after effects, but tastes almost like water. Whisky and wine, on the other hand, contains more of these substances, which accounts for some of its flavour and most of its headaches.

According to this line of thought, mixing should not matter much (except that there are a few mixes that don't match at all, especially those with milk or egg in).

Then, of course, psychology enters the scene. Drink some beer first, and you lose your proper judgement and drink too much strong stuff. Drink the strong stuff first, and then switch to beer and you'll get a full belly before you drink too much. In other words, it's not so much the contents as the strength and the effects it has on your judgement.
Old 10 September 2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
I've heard it explained like this:

What makes you sick are the other alcohols, ie those that are not clean C2H5OH, the traditional alcohol (etanol). All alcohol contains these to some extent, some more, some less. These substances are not completely unwanted, as they also gives a lot of the taste.
You're talking about what I would like to call "benevolent contaminations", which can be all sorts of colouring and tastegiving stuff, but to the best of my knowledge they are not other types of alcohol mixed with the etanol.

And, oh, if you think a good vodka tastes almost like water I must ask you if you have many Russian forfathers.

Last edited by Floater; 10 September 2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: To fix typo
Old 10 September 2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
You're talking about what I would like to call "benevolent contaminations", which can be all sorts of colouring and tastegiving stuff, but to the best of my knowledge they are not other types of alcohol mixed with the etanol.

And, oh, if you think a good vodka tastes almost like water I must ask you if you have many Russian forfathers.
All alcoholic drinks contain other alcohols collectively known as Fusel alcohols which you can minimise by good brewing practces, but never completely eliminate. Plus all the stuff you've mentioned, which I think are referred to collectively as cogeners.
Old 10 September 2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I've never heard the rhyme in the OP, the one I know is:

Beer then Wine - feel fine, Wine then Beer - feel queer
Or, as they say in Holland:

Bier op wijn brengt venijn, wijn op bier brengt vertier.
Old 10 September 2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Try some really good vodka without any flavour additives, for instance vodka made in a very good destiller and directly from the filtration through active carbon (No, I will not go into details about how I know this, except that I have lived at Tjärna Ängar, Borlänge, which should be enough to anyone familiar with the place...). Almost no taste at all, even the "burn" is almost gone.

Quote:
All alcoholic drinks contain other alcohols collectively known as Fusel alcohols which you can minimise by good brewing practces, but never completely eliminate. Plus all the stuff you've mentioned, which I think are referred to collectively as cogeners.
Thanks, my English knowledge abandoned me when I was looking for the correct word.
Old 10 September 2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Good vodka you don't feel the taste before the stomach.
Old 10 September 2007, 06:25 PM

Tarquin Farquart is right. I've had some very good russian vodka and there was no burn until the liqour hit the stomach.
Old 11 September 2007, 12:30 AM

From experience I know that I will drink a beer and then a milk shake, or was it the other way around. Forgive me it was over 20 years ago and do not remember which way it went. I do remember the instant feeling of the beer foaming up and come back up my throat. It was not a pleasant feeling and have no desire to do it again.

As for mixing different types of alcoholic beverages, I never found a problem. Then again I never drink very fast anyways.
Old 11 September 2007, 01:15 AM

so what about several rounds of Jagermeister shots with beer chasers. Drank that a lot in when I was young and stationed in Germany. Never got sick, never really felt more than a mild buzz until I would just suddenly keel over.
Old 11 September 2007, 01:59 AM

Icon24

I always assumed it was about the rate at which you were used to drinking. If you start with wine or liquor, you'd sip it, and drinking beer at the same rate would be fine. If you start by guzzling beer, then switch to the hard stuff at the same rate, you'd be rough.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:41 AM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
All alcoholic drinks contain other alcohols collectively known as Fusel alcohols which you can minimise by good brewing practces, but never completely eliminate.
I think I'd prefer good fermenting and/or distilling practices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg
Try some really good vodka without any flavour additives, for instance vodka made in a very good destiller and directly from the filtration through active carbon
I have done that on a couple of occasions. It felt a bit strange when it was sold as gin, though.