Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 04 September 2007, 11:37 PM

Icon97 Children: No sleeping in room with opposite-sex adults

Comment: I Have heard that here in New York children are not allowed to
sleep in the same room as the opposite sex including the mother. Also that
the child could be taken away if this is discovered in the home. Some
people don't have enough space in there house to have their own room so
they have to share a room. I have heard that in Virginia over the age of 5
is not allowed but what about in New York?
Old 04 September 2007, 11:42 PM
Doug4.7

Police

While camping in NY state, we ALL slept in the same room, within inches of each other (yes, our trailer was that small).
Old 05 September 2007, 12:46 AM

...the hell? Trust me, the OP's story is totally not fact. At least not in my experience.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:49 AM

This may have a grain of truth to it, in that someone has taken specific information that pertains to rules regarding fostering children and extrapolated that to be the way it is for all households. Didn't we have a thread similar to this a little while ago?
Old 05 September 2007, 12:50 AM
Doug4.7

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
This may have a grain of truth to it, in that someone has taken specific information that pertains to rules regarding fostering children and extrapolated that to be the way it is for all households. Didn't we have a thread similar to this a little while ago?
I remember it also. It had to be on the old board.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:51 AM

I don't know about the US but in council housing here (I don't know if you have an equivalent) I believe there is some sort of rule that the accomodation must provide seperate bedrooms for seperate sex siblings, and for the parents. I don't think there ae any checks to see that you are using them in that way, but if parent or parent's have a boy and a girl child, the should be given a three bedroom dwelling.

If it's your own house or privately rented, there are no such laws.

Don't quote me on that, it's waters I've never strayed into.
Old 05 September 2007, 03:30 AM

I remember the earlier thread as well. If memory serves, I contributed something that I learned in our foster/adoption classes, which would mean that it's on the present board.
Old 05 September 2007, 03:35 AM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
Didn't we have a thread similar to this a little while ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
I remember it also. It had to be on the old board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
I remember the earlier thread as well. If memory serves, I contributed something that I learned in our foster/adoption classes, which would mean that it's on the present board.
Ask and ye shall receive.
Old 05 September 2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
I don't know about the US but in council housing here (I don't know if you have an equivalent) I believe there is some sort of rule that the accomodation must provide seperate bedrooms for seperate sex siblings, and for the parents. I don't think there ae any checks to see that you are using them in that way, but if parent or parent's have a boy and a girl child, the should be given a three bedroom dwelling.

If it's your own house or privately rented, there are no such laws.

Don't quote me on that, it's waters I've never strayed into.

I know a family who live in a housing association flat (ex-council flat) which has a mum, a girl and a boy. Their flat has two bedrooms, so either the rules have been changed or different areas have different rules. (It could also be, as they have only lived in the flat for a few months, that they are just being housed there whilst waiting for a larger property to become available.)
Old 05 September 2007, 01:18 PM

There was this article from March in the New York Times. You'd think they'd mention any legal ramifications of co-sleeping. They certainly talked to enough mental health professionals in the article.
Old 05 September 2007, 01:33 PM
Doug4.7

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Gracias, quatro gato....
Old 05 September 2007, 11:33 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

De nada.

QG
Old 06 September 2007, 04:17 AM
Vivling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I know a family who live in a housing association flat (ex-council flat) which has a mum, a girl and a boy. Their flat has two bedrooms, so either the rules have been changed or different areas have different rules. (It could also be, as they have only lived in the flat for a few months, that they are just being housed there whilst waiting for a larger property to become available.)
Or, if there is such a rule and they are abiding by it, the mother and girl are sleeping in one room and the boy in the other room.
Old 06 September 2007, 05:29 AM

I know that on the Sims, it doesn't matter. In fact, kids and adults can sleep in a double bed together. But two adults can't sleep in a double bed unless they're in love, or in lust, or whatever.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:06 PM

I had a friend in upstate NY who told me this is why they moved from a two bedroom apt. to a 3 bedroom house. Child #2 was a boy and couldn't sleep in the same room as the daughter. I thought he was an idiot for telling me this. It does make sense in a fostering/adoption situation, though.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:33 PM
Malalaise

When I read the OP all I could think of was the kids wanting to sleep with mommy and daddy after having a nightmare.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:46 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

All I know is we had our kids (two girls and a boy) in one room from birth until the eldest got into j. high. Then we had the boy & girl in the same room until the 2nd oldest got into j. high. Of course, at that point, the youngest got his own room too.

When I asked the kids about it, they seemed to like the company (stormy nights the most). It only became a problem when they got older and wanted their own space. It had nothing to do with the mixing of the sexes, it was all about "my space" vs. "your space".

While they were in the same room, they changed in the closet (our house is unusual in that each bedroom more or less has a walk-in closet).
Old 06 September 2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I know that on the Sims, it doesn't matter. In fact, kids and adults can sleep in a double bed together. But two adults can't sleep in a double bed unless they're in love, or in lust, or whatever.
They only have to be friends, if memory serves. Although I haven't played that in ages.
Old 07 September 2007, 03:52 AM

When I was growing up, we lived in a bungalow house in Chicago, and I was lucky enough to have the only window air conditioner in the house in my bedroom. This was due to an odd quirk in the wiring in the house. My mom didn't like the AC, and enjoyed sleeping in the heat. But my dad couldn't sleep in very warm weather. So he always slept on a rollaway bed in my room when it was too hot. It was never a problem for us. Except he snored like a railroad train.
Old 11 September 2007, 01:44 PM

.By that rule in the op every parent that has hosted a sleepover is gonna do some time. I have heard parents always seperating the children in rooms and baths at a certain age,but I didnt know it was the law. I thought maybe it had something to do with social taboo or something.