snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 18 August 2007, 10:27 PM

Hmmm, might be off, but the OP kinda looks like a Cornish Rex
Old 18 August 2007, 10:37 PM
Lady Neeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Does the site say it's an infrared picture, or are you just assuming? I thought it was overly red redwood mulch.
Nope, the site actually says it's an infrared picture.
Old 18 August 2007, 11:52 PM
Caduceus Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvers Carew View Post
I think it's the Hitler moustache that does it.
I thought that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Apologies in advance to Caduceus Fox who asked us to ignore the Chucacabras reference, but looking at the link, isn't a bit extraordinary than Ann the OBGYN nurse managed to spot at least five different Chucacabras's on her routine drive to work, and take 50+ photos, when everyone else who has been actively seeking one has come up with absolutely nothing?
I did notice that a lot of sightings of strange animals/monsters/cryptids are done by either OBGYN nurses or gynecologists. Coincidence? I think not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I'm going to vote "fox with mange" on this one despite the cliche. For those who are interested, here is a real fox with mange. Red foxes are more prone to it and grey foxes rarely seem to get it. It's quite possible that this is a mixed-breed dog (it's definitely not any registered breed) that appears cat-like because of the angle of the photo. But it's just not completely dog-like and not completely cat-like, which - assuming this picture is indeed from the southern U.S. - leaves only the fox.
I was thinking fox with mange too. Foxes with mange make me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
If you look at the other picture on the source page, it looks even more cat-like -- and not even particularly hairless. And rather badly shopped to resemble an "infrared" picture... which I find difficult to believe, because if the infrared photography turned the grass red... why did it leave the ferns green LOL.
I noticed that too, and it struck me as odd. I thought it was bad 'shopping too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
All articles by Prentiss Findlay, of The [Charleston, SC] Post & Courier, unless noted otherwise.

-- Bonnie

The National Geographic ran an article on a simliar fox seen near Fuquay-Varina, NC. Take a look at the creature there.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0321_060321_tyco_fox.html
A-ha! So it's a hairless fox (and why didn't I ever think of searching the news ) No wonder I was drawn to figuring out what it was

-Fox (Now with more hairless genes!)
Old 19 August 2007, 07:33 AM
MiddleEye

Ha. Worst infrared photo ever!

Umm. That is a strange looking critter, but I'm sure mange or no mange there is a perfectly logical explanation for it.
I sort of agree with whoever said it looks like a mix of some sort of hairless dog. And also the part about it being a bony female who recently gave birth. It does have that sort of look about it.

I like the idea of this woman taking photos of five different chupacabras on her way to work. She has the gift. She should get her own show. The Chupacabra Whisperer. Maybe she is part goat and they're mistaking her for a prey item. Or maybe she's a moron. Or...maybe a little of each.
Old 19 August 2007, 07:38 AM

The article is called "Chupacabras Spotted in South Carolina Part I"

Has anyone managed to find Part II? I haven't.
Old 19 August 2007, 07:38 AM
Caduceus Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleEye View Post
I like the idea of this woman taking photos of five different chupacabras on her way to work. She has the gift. She should get her own show. The Chupacabra Whisperer. Maybe she is part goat and they're mistaking her for a prey item. Or maybe she's a moron. Or...maybe a little of each.

-Fox
Old 19 August 2007, 02:22 PM
NovaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Fox. Mange. Yawn.
Fastest fox/ mange reply ever.
Old 19 August 2007, 03:15 PM

Given that they're running around wild, they could be mixed-breed dogs or cats, some weird combination that makes them look really unusual - perhaps bred between wild and domestic animals. Maybe with mange.

I suppose it's also possible (but probably also really unlikely given that these pictures were supposedly taken in America) that it's an entirely new species of cat-like animal.

Why does any animal like this get labeled a 'chupacabra'? Have they seen them sucking on goats? Have goats been dying mysteriously in the area? No? Then stop calling it a 'chupacabra', damn it.
Old 19 August 2007, 03:40 PM

Wolf

But the DNA from one of these animals has been studied and characterized as belonging to a grey fox.

A photograph provided by the College of Charleston biologist who studied the carcass shows a different view of the head, which now loses its cat-like face and takes on the features of a canid (particularly a fox).

-- Bonnie
Old 19 August 2007, 03:48 PM

The body shape is completely wrong for a felid. The face only looks cat-like because the animal is looking straight at the camera which foreshortens the muzzle. Hairless cats (Sphynx, Peterbald, Donskoy, Kohana etc) have a lot more wrinkles because a cat's skin is comparitively loose.
Old 19 August 2007, 05:14 PM
JD65

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
The body shape is completely wrong for a felid. The face only looks cat-like because the animal is looking straight at the camera which foreshortens the muzzle. Hairless cats (Sphynx, Peterbald, Donskoy, Kohana etc) have a lot more wrinkles because a cat's skin is comparitively loose.
Wow, the things you learn on Snopes...
I knew of Cornish and Devon Rex being hairless cats, but Sphinx, Peterbald, Donskoy, Kohana??! I'll be here for minutes looking them up on the 'Net.
Never heard of them. Ah well, it's raining outside, so I'm not going out to weed the garden anyway...
Old 19 August 2007, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info, Bonnie. Interesting that these foxes apparently have a genetic trait causing the hair loss, not a disease.

So snopes and I were half right. We got the species, at least.
Old 19 August 2007, 06:22 PM

Vanishing

Well, I'm just glad the Post & Courier looked at this so closely last summer. Those of you who were crying "Fox!" were obviously on the right track!

-- Bonnie
Old 19 August 2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD65 View Post
Wow, the things you learn on Snopes...
I knew of Cornish and Devon Rex being hairless cats, but Sphinx, Peterbald, Donskoy, Kohana??! I'll be here for minutes looking them up on the 'Net.
Never heard of them. Ah well, it's raining outside, so I'm not going out to weed the garden anyway...
Cornish and Devon Rexes aren't hairless cats, they are "rex" cats which means curly-haired cats The cat breed is always spelled Sphynx, BTW, not Sphinx (breeders chose to spell it with a "y"). The Peterbald and the Ukrainian Levkoy were both developed from the Donskoy. The Kohana is also called the Hawaiian Hairless.

There's also the Mexican Hairless which went extinct in the early 20th century, but in the last couple of years there have been claims that the type resurfaced in Mexico in 2006. I've not seen any verification so far. There have been various other hairless and nearly hairless mutations around the world during the 20th Century. The Sphynx has also produced a rather pretty "powder puff" mutation, but that seems to have been a one-off.
Old 19 August 2007, 09:20 PM
Lady Neeva

I can see how people could get a Cornish Rex confused with a Sphynx though honestly... I mean, look at them lol.

Cornish Rex

Sphynx
Old 19 August 2007, 10:31 PM

Hello Kitty

^ omg! I swear they just shaved that cat!
Old 19 August 2007, 11:05 PM
JD65

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Cornish and Devon Rexes aren't hairless cats, they are "rex" cats which means curly-haired cats The cat breed is always spelled Sphynx, BTW, not Sphinx (breeders chose to spell it with a "y"). The Peterbald and the Ukrainian Levkoy were both developed from the Donskoy. The Kohana is also called the Hawaiian Hairless.

There's also the Mexican Hairless which went extinct in the early 20th century, but in the last couple of years there have been claims that the type resurfaced in Mexico in 2006. I've not seen any verification so far. There have been various other hairless and nearly hairless mutations around the world during the 20th Century. The Sphynx has also produced a rather pretty "powder puff" mutation, but that seems to have been a one-off.
so...what you're saying is I'm not that bad off being confused?
Old 20 August 2007, 04:09 PM
Guineh

Is that a map of Europe and Asia on the side of that cat?

IMO, both pictures look to me like a Sphynx cat. I suppose it could be a hairless fox, or a fox with mange. Why the person who distributed these pictures choose to write "Chupacabra" as the description of this animal is beyond me, though. Yeah, I know "Ignore the chupacabra" label, but I just can't refrain from commenting on it.
Old 21 August 2007, 04:06 AM
Lady Neeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraiford View Post
Is that a map of Europe and Asia on the side of that cat?
That's actually one of the reasons I like my animals to have whatever version of the "colored spots on a white background" appearance that that species has. It's kind of like that game of trying to find pictures in the clouds, except you're finding them in your pet LOL.

I used to have a whole collection of photos of animals with markings that looked like something or the other, but I think it was never backed up to a CD and was lost in a computer crash at some point.

Horses are pretty good for that game -- most other species have ONE spotting gene, so the chances of a truly odd looking marking seem to be reduced. Horses on the other hand have 5 different white spotting genes. So if you have a combination of them, you can get some really warped patterns.
Old 21 August 2007, 10:56 PM
MiddleEye

Haha. I love those cats. They're so surprised looking, like someone is pointing a gun at them. O.O But I guess they could also be wondering where their fur went.