snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 17 August 2007, 11:35 PM

Icon23 Square watermelon

Comment: The photos support the notion of farmers in North Carolina growing SQUARE WATERMELONS!!!!

Old 17 August 2007, 11:38 PM
Mrs. Matthews

bonsai melons!
Old 17 August 2007, 11:40 PM

Bonzai indeed.

melons

Quote:
Farmers in the southern Japanese town of Zentsuji have figured out how to grow their watermelons so they turn out square.

It's not a fad. The technique actually has practical applications. "The reason they're doing this in Japan is because of lack of space," said Samantha Winters of the National Watermelon Promotion Board in Orlando, Florida.

But they are $82 a pop!!!!
Old 17 August 2007, 11:41 PM

I've heard of those - they are grown in the boxes so that as they grow, they fill the space available. Easy to ship; don't roll away
Old 18 August 2007, 12:28 AM
Caduceus Fox

Heheheh, reminds me of when Homer Simpson bought one in Japan for some insane amount of Yen, shouted D'OH!, and it popped back into it's regular shape before he dropped it

-Fox
Old 18 August 2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus Fox View Post
Heheheh, reminds me of when Homer Simpson bought one in Japan for some insane amount of Yen, shouted D'OH!, and it popped back into it's regular shape before he dropped it

-Fox
Marge: Homer! That watermelon costs over $150!
Homer: And worth every penny. . . d'oh!

Heh heh, I watched that episode on DVD tonight.
Old 18 August 2007, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithaHat View Post
Marge: Homer! That watermelon costs over $150!
Homer: And worth every penny. . . d'oh!

Heh heh, I watched that episode on DVD tonight.
Thats really weird. So did I.
Old 18 August 2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I've heard of those - they are grown in the boxes so that as they grow, they fill the space available. Easy to ship; don't roll away
My great grandfather's brother grew pumpkins, melons, cucumbers, etc. in jugs by just placing the little bud inside to grow. He'd either break the bottle & have weird shaped veggies or pickle them in the jar and let other people try to figure it out. Hey, TV hadn't been invented yet. You had to provide your weirdness.
Old 18 August 2007, 01:25 PM

Shifty Eyes

A thread on the old board on the same subject (sort of).
Old 18 August 2007, 06:10 PM
dlloyd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: The photos support the notion of farmers in North Carolina growing SQUARE WATERMELONS!!!!

They're grown in a box. The box is shown in the first photo. I've grown square tomatoes in the same way.
Old 19 August 2007, 02:22 PM
moonglum

Icon23

I have seen tomatoes grown into the shapes of the presidential candidates in * I think * the last presidential elections....They simply had a little clamshell form they rubberbanded around the small tomatoes and they grew to fill it perfectly...they had other famous types too, like The Donald and Darth Vader...

Can anyone help me find a pic? My search skills today seem to be on vacation...

moon -slice me off some of that Reagan squash will ya? - glum
Old 19 August 2007, 02:51 PM

I think the photo's support the notion that somebody somewhere is growing square watermelons, they don't support the notion that they are being grown in North Carolina - unless anybody recognises those two men or that pickup truck.

Just as an aside, why would a square watermelon cost four times as much as a regular one. I know they have to buy/make the boxes, but they look re-usable
and there is extra work putting the young watermelons into the boxes, but even so. Unless there is a high attrition rate for box-grown watermelons. Would waytermelons need sunlight to thrive and ripen, because that box looks opaque.
Old 19 August 2007, 03:24 PM

Default Watermelons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Would waytermelons need sunlight to thrive and ripen, because that box looks opaque.
For what it's worth, I think the front of the box is clear. I can see the joint of the back "wall" and the "floor" through the plexiglass.
Old 19 August 2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I think the photo's support the notion that somebody somewhere is growing square watermelons, they don't support the notion that they are being grown in North Carolina - unless anybody recognises those two men or that pickup truck.

Just as an aside, why would a square watermelon cost four times as much as a regular one. I know they have to buy/make the boxes, but they look re-usable
and there is extra work putting the young watermelons into the boxes, but even so. Unless there is a high attrition rate for box-grown watermelons. Would waytermelons need sunlight to thrive and ripen, because that box looks opaque.
Is the colour/shape of the license plate consistent with anywhere someone knows? Just asking, but it doesn't look like a States license plate to me. Does anyone know where it's from?
Old 19 August 2007, 05:01 PM

I say fake. The shadows look wrong.
Old 19 August 2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Is the colour/shape of the license plate consistent with anywhere someone knows? Just asking, but it doesn't look like a States license plate to me. Does anyone know where it's from?
The photo is taken in Japan, if this BBC story is truthful. The photo is cropped, but you can see the whole one at the Food Museum's watermelon page.
Old 19 August 2007, 08:24 PM
dlloyd1

Quote:
Would waytermelons need sunlight to thrive and ripen, because that box looks opaque.
No, fruits use sugars that are transported to them from the leaves.
Old 19 August 2007, 08:32 PM
dlloyd1

Quote:
Just as an aside, why would a square watermelon cost four times as much as a regular one. I know they have to buy/make the boxes, but they look re-usable and there is extra work putting the young watermelons into the boxes, but even so.
It's all to do with the extra work of fixing the boxes to developing melons, extra cost of harvest, cost of buying the boxes, supply and demand, novelty, and the fact that the Japanese are crazy about melons.

The boxes are reusable and come flat. They are folded into shape around the melon. You can do the same with tomatoes, as I've already mentioned, and square tomato kits are included in this great box set...

Old 20 August 2007, 03:32 AM

square fruit and veggies would be so much easier to slice
Old 20 August 2007, 05:37 PM
Robigus

And square melons are easier to store in the fridge. Any type of fruit is very expensive (by American pricing standards) in Japan. I always found it somewhat odd that bringing a fruit basket to someone you were visiting was a very significant event.

Ro"master of the fruit baskets"bigus