snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 14 January 2007, 03:55 AM

Default Youngest Father

Can't remember how it came up, but whilst reading about Lina Medina and following a link to this wikipedia page, I noticed that at the bottom it says:

Quote:
Precocious puberty can make a child able to conceive when very young. Both sexes have become parents before age 10.
It continues on to mention Lina, but does not substantiate the claim that boys younger than 10 have become fathers. I did a quick search and after wading through a couple pages of the same results (several of them... disturbing) all I can find is various different sources reporting on this, in which a 12-year-old boy became a father, and a couple random claims that people saw an episode of either Maury or Jerry Springer where a 9-year-old boy allegedly impregnated a 12-year-old girl.

So, anyway, my question is, is Sean Stewart the youngest recorded father, or is there another verified claimant to that title?
Old 14 January 2007, 04:02 AM

[QUOTE=Missie;21288]an episode of either Maury or Jerry Springer where a 9-year-old boy allegedly impregnated a 12-year-old girl. [QUOTE]

Of course, because they're so reliable with these things...
Old 15 January 2007, 12:41 AM
Kersten

Nothing to be proud of, but my uncle was 12-13* and got a 12 y/o pregnant
*(not sure if she got pregnant when he was 12 or 13, but she had the baby when he was 13).
Old 15 January 2007, 12:54 AM

Wasn't Mary-Kay Latourno's (or however it's spelled) now-husband (don't get me started) 11 or 12 when they conceived their first-born?
Old 15 January 2007, 04:30 AM

13, I believe.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:29 AM
medtchva

Here's a link about Stewart.. supposedly told his 16 year old girlfriend he was 14, but was actually 12.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...21/ai_n9650794

Just an FYI.. I found one article that said the oldest father was 93! Supposedly he remained 'active' until he died of pneumonia in 1998 at age 100.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtchva View Post
Here's a link about Stewart.. supposedly told his 16 year old girlfriend he was 14, but was actually 12.
And she responded, "14? I guess that's old enough. Why not?"

Actually, it probably IS legal. Statutory rape laws don't always apply when the ages are close together. Doesn't mean it ain't creepy, though.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:47 AM
medtchva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
And she responded, "14? I guess that's old enough. Why not?"

Actually, it probably IS legal. Statutory rape laws don't always apply when the ages are close together. Doesn't mean it ain't creepy, though.
Well this happened in Britain, so I have no ideas what the laws are about statutory rape. From what I can find, the age of consent in the UK is 16, but don't know if that applies to both males and females. In case anyone wants to see it, here's a table of ages from around the world, including the US state by state:

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm
Old 26 January 2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Well this happened in Britain, so I have no ideas what the laws are about statutory rape. From what I can find, the age of consent in the UK is 16, but don't know if that applies to both males and females. In case anyone wants to see it, here's a table of ages from around the world, including the US state by state:

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm
I don't know either. I do have to put some boundaries on my pontificating

Although I do want to correct our shared misconception: I believe the article said that he told the girl he was the same age as she when they first got together.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:58 AM
medtchva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
I
Although I do want to correct our shared misconception: I believe the article said that he told the girl he was the same age as she when they first got together.
Ah, I see that now... and all I can think is... he was 11, she was 15... they were next door neighbors... so they should have been going to the same school.... DUH!
Old 26 January 2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see that now... and all I can think is... he was 11, she was 15... they were next door neighbors... so they should have been going to the same school.... DUH!
Maybe one went to private school? Dunno.

My girlfriend is 26. I'm 25. I frequently ask her if she knows that she's robbing the cradle.

Then she hits me.