snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 16 August 2007, 03:15 AM

Icon108 Resignation letter

Comment: I had to forward this to you because I thought it was funny - my friend Darren works at a big hoity toity law firm in DC and works like a billion hours. The letter is great and the e-mail chain attesting to its authenticity is good.

PDF document
Old 16 August 2007, 03:32 AM

Why is that funny? I mean, I liked it, I thought it was professionally worded, I just didn't find it funny.

JMC
Old 16 August 2007, 07:06 AM
Binny

This is so true and wow, how refreshing for a lawyer to be so honest! Working in legal I can imagine only too well the face of his Partner when he read this.
Old 16 August 2007, 01:45 PM

I have to concur, this is a pretty refreshing resignation letter. It's nice to see someone who knows what he wants, and is willing to upend his life for it. He seems to sincerely regret the effect it will have on his colleagues, and willing to help out until his work is farmed out.

I have to give the guy credit for honesty and integrity.

Loyhar *there's a reason I'm not in private practice myself* gil
Old 16 August 2007, 01:57 PM

I rather like that letter. Usually resignation letters are an opportunity to unleash the bitterness, this isn't the case here.
Old 16 August 2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I rather like that letter. Usually resignation letters are an opportunity to unleash the bitterness, this isn't the case here.
It's a good letter. It doesn't apportion blame. It apologises for the inconvenience and it gives a valid reason for wanting to leave. It ought to be used in training people how to write such letters where you want to exit gracefully.
Old 16 August 2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
It's a good letter. It doesn't apportion blame. It apologises for the inconvenience and it gives a valid reason for wanting to leave. It ought to be used in training people how to write such letters where you want to exit gracefully.
Problem is in most such situations, leaving gracefully is the last thing on your mind...
Old 16 August 2007, 02:18 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
It's a good letter. It doesn't apportion blame.
Other than to himself, that is. But that's a good thing. "I'm not a good fit for this job."

Count me as thinking it's a good resignation letter.
Old 16 August 2007, 02:20 PM

So he thinks a sales rep at a software firm in chicago is going to have the ability to more completely control his schedule?

Pardon me but...bwahahahahahaha!

Most professional jobs mean that you're sacrificing some control over your personal life.
Old 16 August 2007, 02:56 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
So he thinks a sales rep at a software firm in chicago is going to have the ability to more completely control his schedule?

Most professional jobs mean that you're sacrificing some control over your personal life.
I sort of wondered on that myself. Yeah, I am going into corporate sales in order to get control over my own life, instead of, say, staying at the high paying job and earning enough to take a couple of months a year off?

Good for him on getting out, but since he went into corporate law with seemingly no idea what it entails (see list 1a to 1e), I wonder if he is going into corporate sales with the same delusions.
Old 16 August 2007, 03:25 PM

Dog

I agree that it is a good letter or resignation. If I were the employer, I might be tempted to use elements of it in job interviews with future employees.

As for moving to corporate sales, I would argue that selling is more challenging and interactive compared to his description of his corporate law job. And selling is one of the fundamental tools, one that can transfer to a lot of applications in a lot of environments.

That was why I chose not to go to law school after experience as a paralegal, then I would be a lawyer.

Ali "two personalities at a time" Infree
Old 16 August 2007, 03:43 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Yeah, I am going into corporate sales in order to get control over my own life, instead of, say, staying at the high paying job and earning enough to take a couple of months a year off?
You may earn enough to take a couple of months a year off, but you can't afford to take the time off.

I work in law. If g-you figured out how much money most lawyers actually earn per hour worked, it would be a lot lower than their hourly charge would suggest. A good number of them earn a lot less per hour than I do.

Seaboe
Old 16 August 2007, 04:22 PM

Glasses

Also, he says he is taking a sales job, not corporate sales job. Big difference there. I worked in sales, at a retail store. The hours were steady, but the pay was real low.
Old 19 August 2007, 02:28 AM

I agree that it is a very refreshingly honest letter, but I really wonder what exactly he thought he was getting into when he became a corporate attorney, especially at a firm as big as GT. It seems like most of his complaints are things that are entirely foreseeable for work in that field before he even started studying law.
Old 19 August 2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post

I think that is the punchline of the joke. I know I laughed.