snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 14 August 2007, 04:50 AM

Dog A Great Dog Story

A GREAT DOG STORY

Anyone who has pets will really like this. You'll like it even if you don't and you may even decide you need one!

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog named 'Lucky.' Lucky was a real character.

Whenever Mary and Jim had company come for a weekend visit they would warn their friends to not leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to whatever struck his fancy. Inevitably, someone would forget and something would come up missing.

Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box in the basement and there the treasure would be, amid all of Lucky's other favorite toys.
Lucky always stashed his finds in his toy box and he was very particular that his toys stay in the box.

It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer.
Something told her she was going to die of this disease....in fact, she was just sure it was fatal.
She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders.

The night before she was to go to the hospital she cuddled with Lucky. A thought struck her...what would happen to Lucky? Although the three-year-old dog liked Jim, he was Mary's dog through and through. If I die, Lucky will be abandoned, Mary thought. He won't understand that I didn't want to leave him.
The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own death.

The double mastectomy was harder on Mary than her doctors had anticipated and Mary was hospitalized for over two weeks. Jim took Lucky for his evening walk faithfully, but the little dog just drooped, whining and miserable. Finally the day came for Mary to leave the hospital. When she arrived home, Mary was so exhausted she couldn't even make it up the steps to her bedroom.
Jim made his wife comfortable on the couch and left her to nap Lucky stood watching Mary but he didn't come to her when she called. It made Mary sad but sleep soon overcame her and she dozed.

When Mary woke for a second she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head and her body felt heavy and hot. But panic soon gave way to laughter when Mary realized the problem. She was covered, literally blanketed, with every treasure Lucky owned! While she had slept, the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement bringing his beloved mistress all his favorite things in life. He had covered her with his love.

Mary forgot about dying. Instead she and Lucky began living again, walking further and further together every day.

It's been 12 years now and Mary is still cancer-free.
Lucky? He still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

Remember....live every day to the fullest. Each minute is a blessing from God.
And never forget....the people who make a difference in our lives are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards.
They are the ones that care for us.

Always honor God, respect one another, stay safe and keep in touch!
Old 18 August 2007, 12:59 AM

I'll admit it, I like this one. It's cute.
Old 18 August 2007, 04:11 AM
MissBethiepoo

I think I have actually heard that this is a true story. Not really sure where I heard it, but I'm almost 100% possitive its true. Besides, even if it isn't, it just shows you how good animals are for us and our health.

Everyone needs a fuzzy head to cuddle with!
Old 18 August 2007, 03:31 PM

Mouse

Rule of Glurge: Even people who hate glurge are suckers for dog glurge.
Old 18 August 2007, 04:02 PM

Dog

Cute story, but it's still badly written (fear was riding her shoulders? WTF?).
Old 18 August 2007, 04:50 PM

Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Cute story, but it's still badly written (fear was riding her shoulders? WTF?).
"gher, gher..." *

*100 points, Silas should get that one.
Old 19 August 2007, 12:09 AM

So Lucky was 3 Years old when Mary was diagnosed with cancer, and following the operation Mary has been free of cancer now for 12 years. That would make Lucky at least 15 years old.

I think Lucky's luck may run out soon.
Old 19 August 2007, 12:43 AM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

reglurgitation
Old 19 August 2007, 01:03 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
"gher, gher..." *

*100 points, Silas should get that one.
Ooh, that's right: a particularly obscure Jack Vance story... You tripped me up with it before, here on snopes, and I think you've done it again, as I'm doggoned (so to speak) if I can recall the title.

By the way, I thought the ending to the story was going to be that the dog had retrieved the woman's breasts from the tissue disposal bins at the hospital and had brought them home to her.

Sorry, just the way my sick, sick mind works...

Silas ("We are guests of the Margrave")

ETA: Oh, yeah, Nopalgarth! I remembered it had something to do with cactus...

Last edited by Silas Sparkhammer; 19 August 2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: to memory came an answer!
Old 19 August 2007, 10:56 AM

DINGDINGDING!

We have a winner! And a SF geek!

I don't remember anything about the cactus though, lol.

(for those who are interested: Nopalgarth by Jack Vance. I would get it in a used bookstore, tho, it's not worth 9.50, lol)
Old 20 August 2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
By the way, I thought the ending to the story was going to be that the dog had retrieved the woman's breasts from the tissue disposal bins at the hospital and had brought them home to her.
I thought it was going to be that she recovered from the cancer but died of some horrible dog disease.
Old 20 August 2007, 11:16 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer.
Something told her she was going to die of this disease....in fact, she was just sure it was fatal.
She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders.
For some odd reason this so-called paragragh grates on my nerves no end. What adult writes like this?

And for someone who was "just sure" she was going to die...boy was she wrong. I bet she picks out stocks to buy the same way. "Buy 100 shares in Cruddy Corp stock, Jim; I'm just sure it's going to do well."
Old 28 August 2007, 11:50 AM
Muncle

Hello Kitty

Yeah..glurge haters are suckers for dog glurge. But I feel the similar way, only a cat instead of a dog. When I was in Junior high, my parents got me my very own cat. We'd always had pets, but they were someone else's, the dog like my mother, the guinea pig was my brother's and so on. So my cat, Muncle, was mine. If you asked my parents, I babied him. I took him in my room at night, and got him food and water so he wouldn't get hungry. I'd pick him up and just walk around with him. Loved him.
I was quite depressed that year, as years of bullying in school had reached their peak. I was considering suicide, and one of the few things that prevented me was the fact that I had Muncle, and nobody would be able to care for him like I did. I know that my family would miss me, but they're supposed too, they're family. They'd get over it (Please note that these were my thoughts back then) But Muncle depended on my care, and needed me. He was probably the biggest reason I ended up not attempting suicide.

Mun"and now you know the story behind my name!"cle
Old 04 September 2007, 03:49 AM
Ezri

Muncle - Just recently I went through a period of terrible depression and I was irrational and irritable and everything. I was faced with the choice of being hospitilized but I wouldn't go because I knew I had to take care of my cat, Olivia. She had no one else to do it, and if I was to be hospitilized my parents would find out I had a cat (I'm not supposed to have one) and would have brought her to the pound, so I HAD to stay sane to help Olivia. I got through it and Olivia helped me. She is so important to me.
Old 04 September 2007, 04:22 AM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
I was thinking something similar...