snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 13 August 2007, 01:19 AM

Chicken China Chicken

http://www.snopes.com/photos/food/chinachicken.asp

Caveat: the enclosed pictures speak a thousand words. Avoid buying all processed food packaged in China. Anything goes! We just don't know what else is in those packages. Unlike in the U.S., China does not have laws regulating food processing.

On that note: also avoid using disposable chopsticks in the restaurant. Apparently they have been bleached to look white! We certainly don't need bleach in our body.

Basically do not buy any processed food from China and sometimes Hong Kong too. Some companies are using Hong Kong address to avoid this type of image reputation.

Early dawn, starts the day by riding around to collect dead chicken

Asking around for dead chicken

Total of 5 riders are hired by the boss to farms to buy dead chicken

A dead chicken cost 1 RMB and would be sold at 9 RMB after processing

Storage for the dead chicken in the court yard

Carcasses are thrown everywhere

And on the floor....

Old 13 August 2007, 01:20 AM

Chicken

4 employees start de-feathering the dead fowl after soaking in boiling water from a rusty wok

Enduring the pungent odour, but sometime, it get so terrible that even the most experienced of the workers would puke

Workers rushing to get the chicken de-feathered

A discarded bath tub being used to soak the bare skin dead chicken ... the contaminated water would have accelerated the decomposition process

Wearing slippers walking among the chicken before colouring processing

After the colour dye, its creepy to find that they are quite tenderising

And now presenting the mouth watering Charcoal Roasted Chicken!

Send to as many people as possible
Old 13 August 2007, 05:01 AM
charlie23

now, if they could just get all those chicken skulls shrunk down to fit in the chopsticks maybe they could save some monkeys...
Old 19 December 2008, 03:37 PM

Chicken

Thought I'd share the new version of this in my inbox today. Not only are they rehashing chicken, now fish, WalMart and Canada are all in the mix!:

Quote:
Subject:FW: Have a taste for chicken tenders? READ THIS

Have a taste for chicken tenders? READ THIS

WATCH WHAT YOU BUY. ESPECIALLYHIGHLINER FISH PRODUCTS; all come from China , even though the box says' product of Canada'it is from China and 'processed' in Canada the coating is added and packaged! The fishare raised in pens using chemicals that are banned here inCanadaas cancer causing but legal inChina. This was exposed on CBC TV's Marketplace

This one willmake you think before buying anything fromChina.

BUY YOUR FOOD AT WAL-MART?

Well, are you enjoying seeing Chinese food popping up in your supermarket left and right? Have you noticed you can't buy a single package of fish that isn't made inChina(orVietnam)? Do you think your food fromChinais processed in a sanitary manner, and thus safe to eat? Take a look at this!!

REMEMBERWAL-MARTis one of the LARGEST BUYERS OF CHINESE PRODUCTS.

THINK ABOUT IT.These undercover enclosed pictures speak a thousand words. Avoid buying all processed food packaged inChinaAnything goes! We just don't know what else is in those packages. Unlike in theU.S.AndCANADA,Chinadoes not have laws regulating food processing.

Basically,do not buy any processed food fromChina, alsoHong Kong, too. MANY companies are using aHong Kongaddress to avoid this type of image reputation.

~~~PHOTOS AND DESCRIPTIONS FROM ORIGINAL EMAIL~~~

Send to as many people as possible. Do NOT buy food originating inChina(orVietnamorThailand)! Take the time to read the labels and look for country of origin! STOP BUYING ANYTHING FROMCHINA. PERIOD!
Old 19 December 2008, 06:45 PM
Barns & No Bull

Icon23

Tastes like chicken.
Old 19 December 2008, 06:57 PM

Yeah, that looks like the sort of operation that can produce enough chickens to fulfill Wal*Mart's needs.
Old 20 December 2008, 12:52 AM

My wife being Thia, means I buy lots of Asian foods. Most of them especially the meats say made in USA.
Old 20 December 2008, 01:13 AM

You have a drumstick and your brain starts tickin'
Watching X-Files with no lights on
We're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one
Old 20 December 2008, 04:40 AM
AniMajor

Arrrrggg, I was going to come in here an post that, Johnny Slick.

Now all I have left is some comment about tasting like chicken. Or, that joke about crossing the road, but replacing "road" with "ocean" and "get to the other side" with "to make a profit selling inferior products to Americans who think they're getting quality but would really barf if they knew the truth".

Thanks.
Old 20 December 2008, 06:07 AM

I am the KING of BARENAKED LADIES QUOTES ANYWHERE YOU WILL BOW DOWN TO THE MASTEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR
Old 20 December 2008, 08:03 PM
AniMajor

Chicken

If you were, you'd have put the "Chickidy China, the Chinese Chicken" at the beginning of the lyrics to make it clear what you were talking about.
Old 26 January 2009, 02:20 AM

Default Walmart Chicken

I got a suspicious email about Walmart buying chicken from China. I did find the page on snopes here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/food/chinachicken.asp listed as undetermined. Has anyone heard anymore about this legend? To me it seems improbable as meat still has to pass inspection in the US. Plus chicken is pretty cheap anyway and paying to bring it from China, not to mention the refrigeration costs, just doesn't seem like it would really save money.
Old 26 January 2009, 03:22 AM

I already made a "comment" involving this music lyric in the other thread, but I wonder if BNL came up with this line after considering what a snopes message boarder would say if somebody had already come up with a topic about "China, the chinese chicken"? Do Steven Page and Ed Robertson lurk on the ULMB? Do they do more than lurk? Is Steve Page's snopes name Canuckistan? As I like to say, sometimes what you really need to do is not find the answer but ask the question to gain understanding.
Old 26 January 2009, 04:26 AM

I dunno about chicken, but I saw "fresh seafood" in the supermarket last week being a product of China. Thought that was a little weird to advertise on a sign in the supermarket.
Old 26 January 2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hamilton View Post
I got a suspicious email about Walmart buying chicken from China.
Could you post the e-mail so we know what specific claim is being made?

Since Wal-Mart is a global corporation (with locations inside China and various other places), at least some of its locations probably do buy chicken from China.

Last edited by Mr. Billion; 26 January 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 26 January 2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
I already made a "comment" involving this music lyric in the other thread, but I wonder if BNL came up with this line after considering what a snopes message boarder would say if somebody had already come up with a topic about "China, the chinese chicken"? Do Steven Page and Ed Robertson lurk on the ULMB? Do they do more than lurk? Is Steve Page's snopes name Canuckistan? As I like to say, sometimes what you really need to do is not find the answer but ask the question to gain understanding.

I almost went with "chickidy-China, the Chinese chick-a-chow," but thought it would be far weaker after you had already made the reference.

I agree with you - given the cleverness of BNL, who's to say that they arent prescient as well?
Old 26 January 2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
Could you post the e-mail so we know what specific claim is being made?
Here it is (minus the pictures which are the ones posted on snopes url posted above):
WATCH WHAT YOU BUY ESPECIALLY HIGHLINER FISH PRODUCTS all come from China , even though the box says ' product of Canada ' it is from China and 'processed' in Canada the coating is added and packaged! The fish is raised in pens using chemicals that are banned here in Canada as cancer causing but legal in China this was exposed on Cbc TV's Marketplace

This one will make you think before buying anything from China .

Well, are you enjoying seeing Chinese food popping up in your supermarket left and right? Have you noticed you can't buy a single package of fish that isn't made in China (or Vietnam )? Do you think your food from China is processed in a sanitary manner, and thus safe to eat? Take a look at this!!

REMEMBER WAL-MART is one of the LARGEST BUYERS OF CHINESE PRODUCTS. THINK ABOUT IT.

These undercover enclosed pictures speak a thousand words. Avoid buying all processed food packaged in China Anything goes! We just don't know what else is in those packages. Unlike in the U.S. and CANADA , China does not have laws regulating food processing.

Basically, do not buy any processed food from China , also Hong Kong , too. MANY companies are using a Hong Kong address to avoid this type of image reputation.Send to as many people as possible. Do NOT buy food originating in China (or Vietnam or Thailand )! Take the time to read the labels and look for country of origin! STOP BUYING ANYTHING FROM CHINA . PERIOD!

Stay Healthy
Old 26 January 2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hamilton View Post
STOP BUYING ANYTHING FROM CHINA . PERIOD!
Um, in this day and age, that is kind of hard. I bet the keyboard they used to type that on was made in China. And probably the mouse they used to click the send button. And the monitor they look at. And...
Old 26 January 2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDan View Post
I dunno about chicken, but I saw "fresh seafood" in the supermarket last week being a product of China. Thought that was a little weird to advertise on a sign in the supermarket.
I believe the FDA requires a country of origin to be labeled for all fish.
Old 26 January 2009, 04:12 PM

I think the FDA requires a country of origin on all food items. For example the fish I bought last week was a product of China but was processed in the US. Said so right on the label.

The CFIA I think is more strict than the FDA so I think that if something was originally from China but processed in Canada it would say so on the label.