snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 07 August 2007, 11:47 PM

Icon81 Firecracker accident (GRUESOME)

This Guy Didn't Have A Good 4th

Firecracker Accident - it's pretty bad, so if you have a weak stomach, don't look.

THERE ARE SO MANY NUTS IN THIS WORLD

If we had as a society "Natural Selection", this person would
not have lived long enough to do this to himself.

This guy ended life with a bang! Just in case you were ever
tempted to ignite fireworks in your mouth................

This guy put an M-100 firecracker in his mouth.

I'll bet his last words were, "Hey Bubba, look it this!"

Old 07 August 2007, 11:55 PM

I think we covered this last year

http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/u...43.html#000000
Old 07 August 2007, 11:57 PM

Computer

It's safe to assume that if I resurrect a topic from the old board, it's because the previous thread did not arrive at a resolution.

- snopes
Old 08 August 2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
It's safe to assume that if I resurrect a topic from the old board, it's because the previous thread did not arrive at a resolution.

- snopes
Well yes, but by drawing attention to the previous thread, it is possible to see what has already been discussed, and try to put in some new ideas rather than going over old ground.
Old 08 August 2007, 12:59 AM

Fake.

An "M-100 firecracker" is basically a standard firecracker in a bigger package with a water proof fuse.

Won't do that to a person's head. Ten of'm wouldn't do that to a person's head.

At one time an M-80 was an actual explosive designation for a small, but still dangerous explosive. They have been outlawed everywhere in the US, at least as fireworks, for a very long time. The "M-100" is a marketing description, "bigger badder name than an M-80" but it actually has much less power than a M-80.
Old 08 August 2007, 01:16 AM
Barns & No Bull

Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Fake.
I disagree.

Quote:
At one time an M-80 was an actual explosive designation for a small, but still dangerous explosive. They have been outlawed everywhere in the US, at least as fireworks, for a very long time.
That's right, and the "real" M-80, M-100, etc. are still being created and sold illegally. You can hear them pretty easy on the 4th of July, as they are super loud and powerful.

I think this guy really lit one of those illegal M-100 (or even M-80) in his mouth.
Old 08 August 2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Fake.
Fake or innaccurate description?

Interesting that there's no blood on his shirt, just behind him. I would think that he would have at least gotten something on his clothes before he fell back (if he did indeed fall backwards).
Old 08 August 2007, 04:47 AM
PrometheusX303

The arms look posed to me. Would he still be gripping the lighter?
Old 08 August 2007, 05:14 AM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Well yes, but by drawing attention to the previous thread, it is possible to see what has already been discussed, and try to put in some new ideas rather than going over old ground.
Yes, but it also potentially "contaminates" the response pool by influencing people who weren't party to the previous discussion.

- snopes
Old 08 August 2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusX303 View Post
The arms look posed to me. Would he still be gripping the lighter?
It does seem counterintuitive, but I've seen photos of suicide victims still holding the gun. Don't the hands reflexively grip instead of release?

But shouldn't his hair and mustache be singed?
Old 08 August 2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barns & No Bull View Post
I disagree.

That's right, and the "real" M-80, M-100, etc. are still being created and sold illegally. You can hear them pretty easy on the 4th of July, as they are super loud and powerful.

I think this guy really lit one of those illegal M-100 (or even M-80) in his mouth.
I doubt "real" M-80s etc. are being made illegally in any great numbers. My point was that where I live you can walk into a fireworks store any day of the year and get an "M-100". Like I said, basically a standard firecracker in a bigger package with a water proof fuse.

Heck, I've got 20 or so of them out in the garage. No way they do the damage shown in the photo.
Old 08 August 2007, 12:57 PM

From the CPSC in 2007:

Quote:
Since 1988, CPSC and Customs and Border Protection have seized or detained more than 462 million hazardous fireworks at docks across the country.
24ish million a year sounds like a lot to me. In 2006, 31% of the fireworks shipments they checked out were found to have non compliant fireworks. Also, there are instructions online how to make your own M-100s, and I have no doubt that there are plenty of stupid people that do it.

We're not talking about standard issue firecrackers here. Real M-100s are classified as explosives by the ATF and federally banned in the US, along with M-80s, M-250s and M-1000s.
Old 08 August 2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Do ya really want to argue with Snopes?

If he wants to post the same stuff again, he can. I think there's been a few pics here that I recall seeing before (like the deer vs car one).
Old 08 August 2007, 01:20 PM
Jonny T

Quote:
Do ya really want to argue with Snopes?
He's a big boy, I'm sure he can take it.

Quote:
If he wants to post the same stuff again, he can. I think there's been a few pics here that I recall seeing before (like the deer vs car one).
And nobody said he couldn't. the link to the previous thread was there for reference.
Old 08 August 2007, 01:50 PM
Barns & No Bull

Quote:
I doubt "real" M-80s etc. are being made illegally in any great numbers. My point was that where I live you can walk into a fireworks store any day of the year and get an "M-100". Like I said, basically a standard firecracker in a bigger package with a water proof fuse.
Heck, I've got 20 or so of them out in the garage. No way they do the damage shown in the photo.
Your argument is not going to work, in spite of you basically knowing what you are talking about. The problem is that you assume that this guy did not put an illegal explosive in his mouth and light it. The number of these devices manufactured and used is besides the point. This could still happen if he had the only one available within a 1000-mile radius. We don't even know what country this happened in, so the device might have been locally legal. Regardless, there must be hundreds if not thousands of these things lit in the USA each year. The best time to detect their presence seems to be in urban or suburban areas within about a 2-week period surrounding July 4th. The explosion is so loud (this is true even for M-80s) that it can be heard for blocks. Car alarms will be triggered in the vicinity and the whole thing is quite dramatic, especially for those who haven't already experienced it. I think you already know that stuff, and your main position is that this guy didn't get his hands on a genuine and (probably) illegal M-100.

Here is a short video showing the explosive force of an M-80, as it deconstructs a tree stump. Of course, an M-100 would be even more powerful. A face is no match for either of these devices.
Old 08 August 2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
But shouldn't his hair and mustache be singed?
His hair is. You can't see the tache (or his nose) on the third picture. Has he been, er, cleaned up a bit by the last?
Old 08 August 2007, 03:26 PM
Barns & No Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
You can't see the tache (or his nose) on the third picture. Has he been, er, cleaned up a bit by the last?
Oh, you're just gonna love this....

The explosion blew his nose and upper lip away but both remained together as a 'flap', still attached to his head by the skin above his eyebrows. In the third shot, it's all still attached but is flipped upside-down and is laying on his forehead. In the morgue shot, the whole thing has been flipped back onto his face in essentially the same position it started in.

Those are the kinds of details that make this harder to think it's a fake injury.
Old 08 August 2007, 03:28 PM

It appears in the last picture that the flap in the center his forehead in the third picture has been 'flapped' down. His nose was lying on his forehead. You can just see it in the third pic.

ETA: Ouch Barns, that hurt!

Last edited by Randa Roo; 08 August 2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spanked!
Old 09 August 2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barns & No Bull View Post
The explosion blew his nose and upper lip away but both remained together as a 'flap', still attached to his head by the skin above his eyebrows. In the third shot, it's all still attached but is flipped upside-down and is laying on his forehead.
I think that's what Blatherskype meant by "cleaned up."
Quote:
Those are the kinds of details that make this harder to think it's a fake injury.
I agree.

This has nothing to do with authenticity, but those are some nicely manicured nails Bubba has.
Old 09 August 2007, 01:29 AM
Bug Lovin'

I don't think there can be any disagreement that this is a real injury, it's too gruesome to be anything but real. What's really fuzzy with this is one is what exactly caused this injury. I mean, it sure looks like it could have been a firecracker in the mouth, but that's hard for me to swallow (pardon the pun). You would think that no one would put a firecracker in their mouth unless they were trying to kill themselves in some freakish way. I want to give humanity the benefit of the doubt and say this wasn't a "let's see what will happen if I put a firecracker in my mouth, Bubba", but rather another form of injury attached to a firecracker story.