snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 27 July 2007, 11:49 AM

Default Fun with trolleys

A friend sent me this - the filename was "someonesgoingtoloveworktomorrow":

I'm not sure whether this is physically possible, but stranger things have been done!
Old 27 July 2007, 01:19 PM

Superb! I hope it's a real photo, but I am not a Photoshop expert.

I imagine that if you can arrange trolleys like that then it would be possible to 'unarrange' them. I suppose the last trolley was put in the circle and then the spaces between the others was evened out. To undo them I suppose the supermarket would have to scrunch up all the trolleys until one trolley is freed.
Old 27 July 2007, 01:52 PM

Applied Geometry- Robert Wechsler.

About 1/4 of the way down the page.
Old 27 July 2007, 02:27 PM
forcadragons

When shopping trolleys are inserted into each other, there is a certain amount of "give", meaning that one trolley is not facing exactly the same direction as the next. Point each trolley to the right of the next and this allows you to bend a long line of trolleys into an arc. There will be a minimum radius that the arc can have limited by the amount of "give". The picture shows a large radius circle, so it's entirely possible, I would say. You just need enough trolleys and insert the front of the last trolley into the back of the first.
Old 27 July 2007, 03:16 PM

I have seen workers at supermarkets pushing a long of trolleys and even with straps to keep the trolleys straight they are always bending one way or the other.

Looking at the link in Sis' post, do you think that someone arranged the trolleys in a circle to demonstrate 'applied geometry' or someone just happened to see the photo and think - 'Ah, that's an example of applied geometry.'
Old 27 July 2007, 03:26 PM
Doug4.7

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Galaxy View Post
I'm not sure whether this is physically possible
It is. We did "similar" things when I worked at a grocery store (only not that creative). There is enough slack to make that formation.
Old 27 July 2007, 05:39 PM
Robigus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
It is. We did "similar" things when I worked at a grocery store (only not that creative). There is enough slack to make that formation.
Was that you that did that at the Piggly-Wiggly?
Old 28 July 2007, 02:22 AM

I think someone had alittle too much free time at work
Old 28 July 2007, 02:57 AM

I'd definitely agree that it's possible. I've never seen that, but I've seen something similar.

Robbie -I was expecting a picture of a "trolley" not a "shopping basket" - V
Old 28 July 2007, 03:02 AM
Doug4.7

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robigus View Post
Was that you that did that at the Piggly-Wiggly?
No, I was the one who drove his car through the front entrance of our store because I was dared.....

Yes, I at times did not use all of my brain while working in that store.....

Note, I didn't break anything, they were able to open the doors wide enough to fit my little car in. Lucky for me, no one took photos (before YouTube) and the statute of limitations for that type of stupidity has long expired.

And the company went out of business.
Old 30 July 2007, 03:02 AM
Grand Illusion

The ring looks almost perfectly circular to me...not just a closed, rounded shape. If that is real, they took lots of extra time to make it precise.
Old 30 July 2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
The ring looks almost perfectly circular to me...not just a closed, rounded shape. If that is real, they took lots of extra time to make it precise.
Not really, assuming they made it close enough to the minimum radius. If there is some tension in the circle, it will even out and become circular.
Old 30 July 2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sis View Post
Applied Geometry- Robert Wechsler.

About 1/4 of the way down the page.
That's a cool web page. I especially like
Quote:
Giant rubber stamps made from artist's pinky and index fingerprints used to make oily, oversized prints around UCSB's campus and other locals.
Old 01 August 2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiev View Post
I'd definitely agree that it's possible. I've never seen that, but I've seen something similar.

Robbie -I was expecting a picture of a "trolley" not a "shopping basket" - V
Um, you mean a grocery cart, right?

(Here they call them 'buggies' which to me is an old-fashioned stroller....)
Old 01 August 2007, 07:16 PM
fictionallie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
Um, you mean a grocery cart, right?
I've also heard them called Shopping Carts, although that would probably be for something that isn't grocery related, such as the carts you might find at wal*mart or other big-box stores. Then again, it's rare (that I've seen) that you would find a metal cart not belonging to a grocery store. All the other ones I've seen are plastic. So judging by that, I'd say you're right - this picture contains grocery carts.

I just call them carts. Maybe I'm an oddball.

Fictional "Always Gets The Cart With The Broken Wheel" Lie
Old 02 August 2007, 04:14 AM
We'veBeenHad

Huh. I always called them shopping cart. When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about San Francisco or something Love the Weschler site, by the way.

I showed my son the OP picture (he works in a grocery store) and he got a kick out of it - said, yeah it's possible, and it would be a lot of fun for the cart guy to have to undo heh.
Old 06 August 2007, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionallie View Post
I've also heard them called Shopping Carts, although that would probably be for something that isn't grocery related, such as the carts you might find at wal*mart or other big-box stores. Then again, it's rare (that I've seen) that you would find a metal cart not belonging to a grocery store. All the other ones I've seen are plastic. So judging by that, I'd say you're right - this picture contains grocery carts.

I just call them carts. Maybe I'm an oddball.

Fictional "Always Gets The Cart With The Broken Wheel" Lie
Actually the ones in our WalMart would also be grocery carts, because ours is a supercenter, with groceries. But actually, unless I'm speaking with no context clues (ie, I'm not in a store, I haven't mentioned shopping or groceries, etc) and therefore think the listener might mistake my meaning to be, say, go-carts, or horse-carts, or whatever, I just say cart.
Old 07 August 2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I have seen workers at supermarkets pushing a long of trolleys and even with straps to keep the trolleys straight they are always bending one way or the other.

Looking at the link in Sis' post, do you think that someone arranged the trolleys in a circle to demonstrate 'applied geometry' or someone just happened to see the photo and think - 'Ah, that's an example of applied geometry.'

Sis' link is the website gallery of the artist - robert wechsler - and these are art projects that he did. Others are listed on that page. the inference is that he himself rearranged the carts/trolleys as an art project, snapped the picture, and titled it "applied geometry."