snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 04 August 2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
I still haven't found an answer to whether or not my husband can get nailed in a drug test from the neighbor's habit. I hope not, because I think my husband would kill himself if he lost another job in his field that he enjoys because of something outside his control. Well, hopefully not seriously, but he would be extremely depressed.
It's possible, but highly unlikely. I've had several friends pass drug tests, and the consensus seems to be that if you didn't smoke enough to feel the effects within the last 30 days, you're clear. So unless he's getting a contact high from the exposure, I'd say he's probably safe.

On the other hand, if he tests positive and insists it's from his neighbor's habits, that might be enough evidence for the police to get a warrant and finally bust their chops. That's about as likely as your husband testing positive, anyway.

Also, count me in as one who's skeptical of the notion that pot smoke alone can make people feel nauseated. Pot is often mixed with other drugs, and sometimes used by people who are cooking other drugs at the time, so I'm guessing those instances described in this thread are due to such contamination. However, if this has been documented anywhere, I'd love to see it.
Old 04 August 2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
whatever they were smoking just reeked to high heaven. I actually got a headache from it, and I was only in the basement for maybe 2-3 minutes. Then I vomited several times. I was nauseous the rest of the day.

Fortunately (kind of) it dissipated quickly... I say kind of because while the stench went away, unfortunately the police can't do anything unless they smell it. And yes, my husband did call the police... it's one thing to know your neighbor smokes pot. It's another thing to smell the pot. And it's a completely different kettle of fish altogether to have your wife vomiting up her toenails because she went into her own dang basement.
I don't know how emergency services is setup where you are but if it happened here I'd dial 911 and just tell them there were fumes in the basement that had made me sick. That would result in the fire department sending an ambulance and a hazardous material response team in a matter of minutes. Don't make guesses, just say you don't know what it is. If it turns out to be what you think let the experts call the police. They are much more likely to get action.
Old 04 August 2007, 05:26 AM

As for testing positive from second hand smoke - not according to an army experiment i've read about where soldiers were placed in a room pumped full of smoke and only started testing positive after the 2nd day (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/30474)

And don't buy marijuana in Indonesia as a tourist - they give you a bag of some other spices/crushed up leaves with a tiny sprinkling of pot on top. Oh, and the canings if the police catch you with it, thats bad too.
Old 04 August 2007, 05:36 AM
Lady Neeva

As to calling the police... we're already on that lol. Calling 911 and saying there was an odd smell that made me ill would have been a better idea, but we just didn't think of it because we know they do (and deal) drugs. It's a weird thing... if I *know* the answer, it just never occurs to me to pretend I don't.

As to if hubby is getting a contact buzz... well, how would you tell? He's a 34 year old male, skinny as a freaking rail despite eating everything in sight in massive quantities. He lives in a basement. He plays pinball and listens to rock music all the time. And he has a positively WEIRD sense of humor and giggles insanely at his own jokes, which he tells constantly. Sounds pretty much like every stoner I've ever met heh.

The army experiment referenced above concerns me... this is by far not the first time we've smelled weed down there. And I honestly don't think this time it WAS weed -- I know what that smells like, and this wasn't it. And as I said above, he basically lives in the basement... ever met someone so all consumed with their hobby they will work on it until they just fall asleep next to it? Well, his hobby is pinball, and the only room in the apartment large enough for two full size tables is the basement... so he basically lives down there. I throw food down once in a while.

What the police told him was that, since the smell had dissipated, there was nothing they could do. But, if he calls back next time he smells anything "odd" that he thinks might be drugs, they will dispatch a couple of officers who can "smell drugs while in your neighbors apartment on an unrelated matter".

My husband who has NO freaking sense of fear or self preservation told them that they didn't need to hide why they had come over. Fortunately the police had more common sense, and told them they WOULD be handling it that way for our own protection.

::sigh::

The annoying thing about this is that I'm not some kind of drug nazi. Honestly, I probably could care less about what my neighbor is smoking, but it would be really hard.

But when it starts impacting MY life, I start getting annoyed.
Old 04 August 2007, 08:32 AM
Jonny T

have you considered talking to your neighbour?
Old 04 August 2007, 08:34 AM
Jonny T

as regards the OP -
I heard similar stories as warnings to travellers in (IIRC) Thailand. basically the story went that a local would meet you at a party, get talking, then offer to sell you some drugs and take you to a more private space. once the deal was done they would do a runner, at which point one of the local police would show up. said cop would then explain the horrific penalties this traveller would face if they were arrested and demand a bribe - which given the alternative would generally be seen as the lesser of two evils. cop and dealer then meet up and split the profits.
Old 04 August 2007, 10:39 AM
Lady Neeva

Considered it... rejected it too because the gentleman in question honestly scares me. He's bigger than I am and I already know he tends towards violence. Last year he did a considerable amount of cosmetic damage to another neighbor's car after a dispute over a parking space. There was also a physical altercation that resulted in the other neighbor ending up with a broken nose. I think there was even jail time involved, although I'm not sure (since I wasn't involved aside from gossip around the complex and knowing one of the parties well enough to say hello and chat a bit).

I also think he's a dealer, although proving that would be next to impossible -- I just know that he frequently has people showing up at his door very late at night (between 1am and 5am) and none ever stay for more than 10 minutes. Once I heard two of them discussing the chances of him having any E, and I'm pretty sure they weren't playing hangman.

That's all really circumstantial... I just don't particularly like smelling pot in my basement, and I really don't like whatever he was smoking or creating that made me nauseous (I agree with everyone who said it probably wasn't straight pot -- I've been around it enough to know it doesn't make me sick or give me a headache... and it didn't smell right anyways, although I can't really describe the scent... just really icky!)

Sorry for derailing the thread. The discussion of the scent of skunk weed reminded me of the incident.
Old 04 August 2007, 11:18 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog78 View Post
Beg pardon? I've had skunk weed and I've been around, but not partaking, when others have smoked skunk. Not all of it does, but there is some that most certainly smells like a skunk.

Thank you
Hmm. Guess I haven't smelled as many skunks as you guys, i'm only going on a few distant odours that people have informed me is skunk. It's the indica bred into the sativa that creates the famous stench, wouldn't skunk season then send coppers running about the bushes trying catch tokers?

Last edited by Jay Tea; 04 August 2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04 August 2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Hmm. Guess I haven't smelled as many skunks as you guys, i'm only going on a few distant odours that people have informed me is skunk. It's the indica bred into the sativa that creates the famous stench, wouldn't skunk season then send coppers running about the bushes trying catch tokers?
I've smelled skunk weed secondhand, it smelled repulsive and I had the same reaction.
Old 04 August 2007, 04:17 PM
NovaSS

Doing drugs in another country? Do you think you would get a fair trial??? Rule of thumb when traveling.. EVERYBODY HATES AMERICANS
Old 04 August 2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
And don't buy marijuana in Indonesia as a tourist - they give you a bag of some other spices/crushed up leaves with a tiny sprinkling of pot on top. Oh, and the canings if the police catch you with it, thats bad too.
How would that even work? I have heard about people getting "fake pot" but I would think you would have to be a very novice smoker. It doesn't usually present as powder or shake (if it does, why buy it?) it is tight lumps of plant matter.
Old 04 August 2007, 05:47 PM
moonglum

If you are desperate enough to get high on pot (*huh*? just wait dude, it's not PHYSICALLY addictive, we know you can do this lol) to try to buy from *someone u don't know, *in a foreign country, *where you will always be wrong, and *you don't know the laws...then you are probably desperate enough and silly enough to get taken by a good con.

dark alley, get you really high first, maybe some pretty girls to distract you while they handed you the bag,you look in and see a top layer of nice buds...i'm just guessing here of course...

i have never been in a foreign country OR bought questionable drugs from questionable people..ahem

moon
Old 04 August 2007, 06:36 PM

TV

Quote:
As to if hubby is getting a contact buzz... well, how would you tell? He's a 34 year old male, skinny as a freaking rail despite eating everything in sight in massive quantities. He lives in a basement. He plays pinball and listens to rock music all the time. And he has a positively WEIRD sense of humor and giggles insanely at his own jokes, which he tells constantly. Sounds pretty much like every stoner I've ever met heh.
Do you own a Great Dane and an odd colored van and solve mysteries for a living, too?
Old 04 August 2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
In my experience, people who already act like stoners do something of an about-face when they get high. If your husband suddenly starts acting paranoid and responds to silly jokes with a drawn, thoughtful expression, you might want to get him out of that basement.
Old 04 August 2007, 08:31 PM
Lady Neeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen View Post
Do you own a Great Dane and an odd colored van and solve mysteries for a living, too?
Does an 86lb brown and black with a little white German Shepherd mix count? No van or mysteries though LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
In my experience, people who already act like stoners do something of an about-face when they get high. If your husband suddenly starts acting paranoid and responds to silly jokes with a drawn, thoughtful expression, you might want to get him out of that basement.
Really... interesting. He's still acting just as strange as always, so he's probably not getting stoned on a regular basis lol.

Wonder if that works on cats... oh wait, no... it just kills their little cat brain cells I think. My younger boy cat (2) came from a home that smokes. He used to try sticking his nose in the smoke as a kitten, and they would let him. He's not quite as dumb as a box of rocks, but he comes close sometimes.
Old 04 August 2007, 10:25 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen View Post
***Totally off topic***

My DD happens to be watching Cartoon Network and right after I read that I heard "ZOINKS!" coming from the other room. Now SO is wondering what I'm looking at on the internet that's making me laugh so hard I'm crying. ^_^

*Back on topic*

I have zero experience with drugs in general and pot in particular, but as a rule of thumb: When in another country, Don't Break The Law!!! I mean, do what you will in your own land, since you (should) know the laws and the consequences. But when traveling, you might bite off more then you can chew. Better not risk it. IMO But then, I'm timid like that.
Old 05 August 2007, 08:43 AM
Jonny T

Quote:
How would that even work? I have heard about people getting "fake pot" but I would think you would have to be a very novice smoker. It doesn't usually present as powder or shake (if it does, why buy it?) it is tight lumps of plant matter.
Not necessarily. Some dealers will sell it already ground up rather than in bud form.

or so I'm told...
Old 05 August 2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
The good stuff is. The cheap stuff, not necessarily.
Old 05 August 2007, 05:44 PM

Ponder

To help with the 'consistency' issue, Grass is sold in myriad forms. Typically, in Europe and North America, 'weed' will arrive just so, in plant form, and often dense 'buds', tightly packed and bushy themselves, and then the plant matter is tightly squeezed to save on bulk. Weed will also show up 'pressed' - this stuff is cheaper and lower grade and almost like fibre-board, and also you can get dried home grown which might just look like dried kitchen herbs, but good weed is indeed usually the tightly packed budding tops of the plants.

Elsewhere, India, North Africa, Far East, you often get a powdered form of the weed, called keef, puri, and many other things I can't recall >tokes< but it is essentially 'ground', which means you can carry more THC with less of a profile, get higher, faster, and smoke the stuff conveniently in things like sheeshas and gauzed chillums - you can literally pour the powder (which ranges from fine dust to a coarser grind) out of a bag. The ground weed, especially indica, is a very spicy substance and not easily recognised by most Westerners, well, those who haven't smoked their way around the world or weren't around in the sixties anyway
Old 05 August 2007, 09:23 PM

On the subject of smell, I live with a pothead. He's smoked everything from dirt weed to the high quality strains, and with no exception, I can't stand the smell of ANY of it. Nasty stuff. He's banished to the back room of the house any time he wants a puff. Bleck.