snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 21 July 2007, 01:37 PM

Military Cemetery Duty

Sent to me by someone who sends a lot of military glurge. It's actually not all that bad, I've seen much worse military glurge from her.

Quote:
God Bless them---Each and Everyone

Cemetery Duty

I just wanted to get the day over with and go down to Smokey's for a few cold ones. Sneaking a look at my watch, I saw the time, 1655. Five minutes to go before the cemetery gates are closed for the day. Full dress was hot in the August sun. Oklahoma summertime was as bad as ever -- the heat and humidity at the same level -- both too high.

I saw the car pull into the drive, '69 or '70 model Cadillac Deville, looked factory-new. It pulled into the parking lot at a snail's pace.

An old woman got out so slow I thought she was paralyzed. She had a cane and a sheaf of flowers, about four or five bunches as best I could tell.

I couldn't help myself. The thought came unwanted, and left a slightly bitter taste: "She's going to spend an hour, and for this old soldier my hip hurts like hell and I'm ready to get out of here right now!"

But for this day my duty was to assist anyone coming in. Kevin would lock the "In" gate and if I could hurry the old biddy along , we might make the last half of happy hour at Smokey's.

I broke Post Attention. My hip made gritty noises when I took the first step and the pain went up a notch. I must have made a real military sight; middle-aged man with a small pot-gut and half a limp, in Marine Full Dress Uniform, which had lost its razor crease about 30 minutes after I began the watch at the cemetery.

I stopped in front of her, halfway up the walk. She looked up at me with an old woman's squint. "Ma'am , may I assist you in any way?"

She took long enough to answer. "Yes, son. Can you carry these flowers? I seem to be moving a tad slow these days."

"My pleasure Ma'am." Well, it wasn't too much of a lie.

She looked again. "Marine, where were you stationed?"

" Vietnam , Ma'am. Ground-pounder. '69 to '71."

She looked at me closer. "Wounded in action, I see. Well done, Marine. I'll be as quick as I can."

I lied a little bigger "No hurry, Ma'am."

She smiled, and winked at me. "Son, I'm 85-years old and I can tell a lie from a long way off. Let's get this done. Might be the last time I can do this. My name's Joanne Wieserman, and I've a few Marines I'd like to see one more time."

"Yes, Ma'am. At your service."

She headed for the World War I section, stopping at a stone. She picked one of the bunches out of my arm and laid it on top of the stone. She murmured something I couldn't quite make out. The name on the marble was Donald S. Davidson, USMC, France 1918.

She turned away and made a straight line for the World War II section, stopping at one stone. I saw a tear slowly tracking its way down her cheek.

She put a bunch on a stone; the name was Stephen X. Davidson, USMC,

She went up the row a ways and laid another bunch on a stone, Stanley J. Wieserman USMC , 1944. She paused for a second, "Two more, son, and \we'll be done."

I almost didn't say anything , but, "Yes, Ma'am. Take your time."

She looked confused. "Where's the Vietnam section, son? I seem to have lost my way."

I pointed with my chin. "That way, Ma'am."

"Oh!" she chuckled quietly. "Son, me and old age ain't too friendly."

She headed down the walk I'd pointed at. She stopped at a couple of stones before she found the ones she wanted. She placed a bunch on Larry Wieserman USMC, 1968, and the last on Darrel Wieserman USMC, 1970.

She stood there and murmured a few words I still couldn't make out.

"OK, son , I'm finished. Get me back to my car and you can go home."

"Yes, Ma'am. If I may ask, were those your kinfolk ?"

She paused. "Yes, Donald Davidson was my father; Stephen was my uncle; Stanley was my husband; Larry and Darrel were our sons. All killed in action, all Marines." She stopped, whether she had finished, or couldn't finish, I don't know. She made her way to her car, slowly, and painfully.

I waited for a polite distance to come between us and then double-timed it over to Kevin waiting by the car. "Get to the "Out"-gate quick. I have something I've got to do."

Kevin started to say something but saw the look I gave him. He broke the rules to get us there down the service road. We beat her. She hadn' t made it around the rotunda yet.

"Kevin, stand to attention next to the gate post. Follow my lead." I humped it across the drive to the other post.

When the Cadillac came puttering around from the hedges and began the short straight traverse to the gate, I called in my best gunny's voice: "TehenHut! Present Haaaarms!"

I have to hand it to Kevin, he never blinked an eye; full dress attention and a salute that would make his DI proud.

She drove through that gate with two old worn-out soldiers giving her a send off she deserved, for service rendered to her country, and for knowing Duty, Honor and Sacrifice .

I am not sure, but I think I saw a salute returned from that Cadillac.

Instead of "The End"....just think of "Taps".

As a final thought on my part, let me share a favorite prayer:

"Lord, keep our servicemen and women safe, whether they serve at home or overseas. Hold them in Your loving hands and protect them as they protect us."

Let's all keep those currently serving and those who have gone before, in our thoughts. They are the reason for the many freedoms we enjoy.
Old 23 July 2007, 02:44 PM
diving_cecil

It may be glurge, but I liked it and hope it was true story and would not be surprised if it was (true). I expect nothing less from a Marine, Semper Fi.
Old 07 February 2010, 03:53 PM
Skyking

Bang Head Bologna Alert

All,

I do not want to be a downer, but this thing just simply has to be a feel-good bunch of bologna. I have spent quite a bit of time digging around and while I find the identical message posted all over the Internet, I simply cannot find facts to support it.

What was my first tip? What is the name of the cemetery? Why would that be omitted from such a lengthy and well written piece? Alright, so it is in OK, right? There are only two, the Fort Sill and Fort Gibson National Cemetery. So, other than the fact that neither apparently allows you to search their records via the Internet, we could call them both and just ask if they have even one of these individuals interred there. But wait, we have another option. Why don't we search records for the United States Department of Veterans Affairs - http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1 database and see what we find?

Donald S. Davidson - Not listed. There are two Donald Davidson's listed, one interred in FL and the other in PA, neither of them was a Marine, one was Army and the other was Navy. Records skip from Donald R. to Donald W. with none listed by initial "S" or any middle name starting with "S." None in OK. Apparently 100% bogus.

Stephen X. Davidson- Not listed. There are three Donald Davidson's listed, interred in NC, IL and TX. Army, Air Force, Army Air Forces; no Marines. None in OK. Apparently 100% bogus.

Stanley J. Wieserman, Larry Wieserman and Darrel Wieserman - Not listed. Only ONE Wieserman is listed in these records: Robert W. Wieserman, Navy, interred in PA. NO Stanley J., NO Larry and NO "other brother" Darrel. No Marines. None in OK. Apparently 100% bogus.

No cemetery name in the post. None of the people listed in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs online database. Hey, can the database have mistakes? Yes, I am sure it can. But to not have even a single one of these people listed; in addition to having the horrible luck of losing her father, uncle, husband and two sons; the poor widow Wieserman also seems to have the most horrible luck imaginable - Nobody can even confirm the very existence of anybody in her entire lineage!

Please, someone figure out I am wrong and post an update here. I would like to know I am wrong and see the facts proving it. I take no pleasure from letting the air out of this Urban Legend. I figure some people decided not to debunk it because it was just too touchy-feely nice. Sorry, I view it as a huge waste of time for everybody that wasted the bandwidth downloading it, wasted their time reading it and further wasted their time unsuccessfully researching to see if it was true or not. I think the person that wrote it should be flogged for wasting all of our time and resources. They perpetrated a fraud against all of us. More importantly, they perpetrated a fraud against those that have lost loved ones. If even one person read this thing and thought their loss was in any way diminished; shame on the person who wrote this fraudulent piece of junk.

Folks, nobody has to stoop to fabricating stories like this. Those cemeteries are a testament to those that served our nation honorably. I appreciate and salute their honor, their integrity and their effort on all our behalf.

There it is, those are the facts and my opinion of the person that wrote this thing. Please, someone, anyone; please provide even a single fact to show I am horribly wrong. Otherwise, if you too receive the sappy piece and wonder if it could possibly be true, Google it and come across this post; at least you will have the benefit of the research I did on the matter.

Regards,

Phillip Beall
Old 08 February 2010, 01:52 AM

Mouse

I'm more struck by how they're all marines. How come in glurge every soldier's a marine? Is there no navy, no air force, or just plain army?
Old 08 February 2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm more struck by how they're all marines. How come in glurge every soldier's a marine? Is there no navy, no air force, or just plain army?
Because if the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.
Old 08 February 2010, 03:34 AM

My brother had a summer job at a carnival as the clown in the dunk tank. Every time he saw someone in an Army uniform he'd yell "What's 'Army' stand for? Ain't Ready for Marines Yet?" People in Marine uniforms didn't get off easy. He'd yell "What does the toilet say when you flush it? Ma-riiiiiines!"
Old 08 February 2010, 03:40 AM

Welcome to the board, Mr. Beall. Don't worry about being a downer for debunking something; that's what we do here! There is always value in truth even if it's not pretty.

Nick
Old 09 February 2010, 11:03 PM

Shout

Mouse, if you ever heard Greep griping about the nfbsking Marines taking all the credit in Japan when his men did all the grunt work like making bridges, hand to hand combat and getting tanks and people shot at first, your eyes would cross. He was in some serious nfbsked areas there. (Greep was in the National Guard, engineers.)
Old 09 February 2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Because if the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.
Damn straight.
Old 10 March 2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I humped it across the drive to the other post.
Sounds painful.
Old 10 March 2010, 08:11 PM

I hate, hate, HATE when people write out accents/regional type talk. It makes me cringe.

Also, I don't get why he was so impatient in the beginning, and then less so. He was actually surprised to find out she was related to marines? It's not such a stretch to imagine that most people visiting might be.
Old 10 March 2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyking
I do not want to be a downer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
Welcome to the board, Mr. Beall. Don't worry about being a downer for debunking something; that's what we do here! There is always value in truth even if it's not pretty.

Nick
What Nick said Skyking. You put a lot of work into finding the truth - that's something we all like here*. And welcome.

*Even if sometimes we'd secretly like some of the sillier stories (of which this is not one) to be true.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 10 March 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10 March 2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I hate, hate, HATE when people write out accents/regional type talk. It makes me cringe.

Also, I don't get why he was so impatient in the beginning, and then less so. He was actually surprised to find out she was related to marines? It's not such a stretch to imagine that most people visiting might be.
Not marines, but the fact that she lost a father, a husband, and two sons in war. That is a tremendous thing and if she were a real person, she should be respected.

Anyone who has lost a loved one in a war should, but someone who has suffered this much especially so.

Last edited by DemonWolf; 10 March 2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Changed "even more" to "especially"