snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 13 July 2007, 07:42 AM
ironyboard

Icon102 More Pics of Anna Atamanchuk

After months of searching I was finally able to find non-wedding pictures of Anna Atamanchuk, the Russian belly dancer whose wedding photos are posted at this link:

Dressed to Thrill: Photographs show a bride wearing a revealing beaded wedding dress
http://www.snopes.com/photos/weddings/beaded.asp

The archived Snopes.com message board thread is closed, but here's the link:
Click here

Here is a page about her school in St. Petersburg featuring two performance pics of her in the "wedding" dress and several pics of her giving a class in the woods, probably at a belly dance camp:
Anna Atamanchuk's School

Here are nine pics of her performing in the "wedding" dress. The first pic is the 5th from the left,6 rows down. There are many beautiful photos of other wonderful Russian dancers here as well: Competition?

Here is one of the same pics as above, but it's much larger:
Click here

Finally, here is a pic of her or a doppleganger in a beautiful gold costume. I'm not positive this is her, since the forehead is much higher, but aside from that, the model is her spitting image!: Gold Costume

I thought you belly dancing forum members and most of the males as well would be interested in having more views of this daring darling. Enjoy!

ironyboard
Old 13 July 2007, 10:15 AM
We'veBeenHad

I must be tacky because I think the dress is pretty cool, even for a wedding. It's pretty and so is she.

Then again I have been looking at the uglydress site for an hour now and I actually love a couple of the prints and a few of the patterns; they were dresses I wished I could have an event to wear to in the early 80s; some are things I have worn in the fairly recent past (well, maybe not for 10 years, that's recent to me anymore), some brought back clear images of my mom when she was very young, and some were exactly like ones I've seen my grandmother in. And I liked the one about the color matching the Camaro (if I'd had mine by then I'd have wanted to do it too) - but then I'm from New Jersey, so...
Old 13 July 2007, 03:32 PM
ironyboard

Default Revealing Wedding Dress

You're not tacky. It is a beautiful costume! One of the belly dancers posted a comment that it looked like a well made, upper end belly dance costume from Egypt, but it's simply not appropriate as wedding attire and she's wearing it much too low. I agree.

I must say that it looks about to fall off in the wedding pics, so, how she managed to keep it on while dancing is beyond me. Keeping it on while standing still posing for the wedding pics must have been hard enough.

She is very exotic and beautiful. If she has a website, and she must, being that she's a well known belly dance performer and teacher, I hope to find it some day. Since I don't read or write Russian and have tried for many months to find it, I have given up hope.
Old 13 July 2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyboard View Post
You're not tacky. It is a beautiful costume! One of the belly dancers posted a comment that it looked like a well made, upper end belly dance costume from Egypt, but it's simply not appropriate as wedding attire and she's wearing it much too low. I agree.
Why is it no appropriate for wedding attire? It is her wedding... should she and the groom not be the ones who decide what is and isn't appropriate?
Old 13 July 2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
Why is it no appropriate for wedding attire? It is her wedding... should she and the groom not be the ones who decide what is and isn't appropriate?
I remember I was watching a TV show on Lifetime I think, where a woman tries to give a couple a wedding for free (a lot of it is spend lying to various establishments, honestly).

Anyway! My point with this story is that this particular couple were a little on a punky side. The 'planner' got all upset and said "No piercings, you're covering your tattoos, you're wearing traditional outfits, blah blah blah..." so, anyway, the guy gets his head shaved into a mohawk, which he told her he was going to do early on, which was met with "NO". And she goes freaking berserk over the fact that he did it anyway! I think she started crying, or was close to it. Keep in mind, this is the planner/host of the show. Not the bride, a family member, a close friend, whatever.

I'm someone who tends to think that the couple getting married gets to decide what's appropriate for their wedding. What if they're nudists? If they want to have a nude wedding, they should be allowed to, and I'm sure they'd let everyone know they were getting married nude, let guests choose whether they went nude or not, et cetera. I'm sure everyone visiting the belly-dancer's wedding knew what the bride was going to be wearing.
Old 14 July 2007, 02:16 AM
We'veBeenHad

Quote:
I guess this is what I don't get; I thought it was kind of awesome in the picture as her wedding dress. It might not fit American tradition of what's appropriate, or even Russian tradition (that I can't say) but I think it was a pretty cool thing to wear. She looked beautiful, and sure stood out in the pictures. I don't know, the overall effect was just kind of cool, I thought.

A lot of people wouldn't like this goth wedding dress, but I love it http://www.katrinamariedesigns.com/RG260SateenNS.jpg

Ok so I'm weird

Last edited by We'veBeenHad; 14 July 2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 14 July 2007, 04:12 AM
ironyboard

Default Goth Wedding Dress

Actually, that goth wedding dress is gorgeous! Kinda Medieval or Renaissance. Black is not my idea of proper bridal attire, but, hey.

As far as the belly dance costume goes, it's even inappropriately low for a belly dance costume. How come only the ppl who think it's cool are replying? In the archived thread, most posters were critical. LOL!

ironyboard
Old 14 July 2007, 05:44 AM

I don't get it.

Sure it's pretty revealing, but it covers everything legally required to be covered. I certainly find it much less offensive than this - http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e8...dding_Gown.jpg
Old 14 July 2007, 03:26 PM
ironyboard

Default Huh?!

this is unbelievable. This "wedding dress" is so revealing that the wedding pics went around the world by internet fairly quickly. People were talking about these pics from here to Zimbabwe and Outer Mongolia. Yet, I'm being picked apart for expressing my opinion that it's tacky wedding attire.

Even the belly dancers on this forum and others were expressing the opinion that it was inappropriate, even as belly dancing attire. Where are they now? I was hoping to give them some info on her, since they have a professional or hobby related interest in knowing more about her.

Any way, the point of my original post was not to make a laughing stock of her. Even if I wanted to do that, she was already the subject of much worldwide scrutiny and incredulity about two years ago, when the pics first became public.

The point was to show more pics of this exotic, adorable lady, who had intrigued many internationally and give a glimpse of her professional career. The newer pics did just that, albeit to a aggravatingly small degree, since these were, unfortunately, the only pics I could ferret out after many months of trying. As it turns out, she is not only a performer, but a much sought after instructor as well.

ironyboard
Old 14 July 2007, 08:09 PM

The skirt is a little lower than I would personally wear mine, but I don't know that it's *that* inappropriately low. Compared to what Dina and other top Cairo dancers are wearing these days, it's positively modest.
Old 14 July 2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'veBeenHad View Post
A lot of people wouldn't like this goth wedding dress, but I love it http://www.katrinamariedesigns.com/RG260SateenNS.jpg

Ok so I'm weird
You're not weird - I think that's a perfect dress.

And as far as I'm concerned, the bride and groom are the ones to decide what attire is appropriate for their wedding.
Old 14 July 2007, 08:51 PM
We'veBeenHad

Quote:
Actually, that goth wedding dress is gorgeous! Kinda Medieval or Renaissance. Black is not my idea of proper bridal attire, but, hey.

ironyboard
:o Guess I won't post my wedding pictures then :o (No, it wasn't goth, though. I just like black. Also it wasn't really a "wedding", but still.) I would have liked those deep crimson/almost black roses, too, but I didn't pick out my bouquet as I wasn't going to have one originally. Unfortunately only dead ones come in black, but I wouldn't mind getting even those as a gift from my husband - I know what they're supposed to mean, why does that mean I have to think that? I can like them too

Thanks Cervus! I always figured it was up to them, too. There are always going to be plenty of people telling them it's not appropriate, or saying it behind their backs, no matter what it is. Might as well do what you like. I have always felt a little sorry for bridesmaids but I guess it comes with the territory.

One-fang, I like the OP dress much better than that one too!! (Probably in part because the OP dress is beautifully made and you can see that just looking at it.)

Last edited by We'veBeenHad; 14 July 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 14 July 2007, 09:35 PM

The wedding in question does not happen in church; this is the "civil" part of the ceremony where the newlyweds got their marriage officially registered (as a part of church/state separation, any kind of marriage can only be officially registered by state authorities and is void otherwise).

What she did wear to the house of Lord is a different question I don't know the answer for; but in general the dress is waaaay more appropriate than most bachelor parties.
Old 14 July 2007, 09:47 PM
We'veBeenHad

Oh. Is that why some people think it's inappropriate for a wedding? Because it might have been in church? I hadn't thought about that. I thought they were just saying they didn't think it should be worn at a wedding by a bride, regardless of where it happened. I could see a church raising a few eyebrows Though it's still better than this http://www.uglydress.com/hitbrid.html

I guess most people do still get married in churches, don't they? How ironic.
Old 14 July 2007, 10:04 PM

Borg

I don't get what is supposed to be so funny about half the things on that Ugly Dresses site. I think someone is just bitter.
Old 14 July 2007, 10:50 PM
We'veBeenHad

Astra, I like a lot of them too. Have worn some, would have worn others, have had family wear others, etc. But there are some real doozies there, ya' gotta see that much
Old 15 July 2007, 12:42 AM
ironyboard

Default D'oh!

At any rate, the intention for my original post was not to subject the tiny treasure to more scrutiny, of which she had enough when her wedding pics traveled the world electronically back in 2005. I simply wanted to find out more about her so when I finally found some different pics of her, I posted them so belly dancers and belly dance enthusiasts to get a glimpse into her world.

As it turns out, she's not only a belly dance performer, but also an in demand instructor, as well.

ironyboard
Old 15 July 2007, 04:54 AM
Rehcsif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missie View Post
I remember I was watching a TV show on Lifetime I think, where a woman tries to give a couple a wedding for free (a lot of it is spend lying to various establishments, honestly).
Isn't the point of that show that they get it for free, BUT they basically have to give in to what the planner wants?

Or am I thinking of some other lame wedding show that my wife once watched...

-Tim
Old 15 July 2007, 11:23 AM

Comes under the 'no free lunch' philosophy.

Personally, if someone's giving me something for free, and I want it, I'm not going to argue details. If I don't want it, then I don't want it, regardless of whether it's free, so why have it? I'd decline the offer.

I seem to recall the odd TV or radio wedding gag were they'd give one away but it had various conditions. I think one had all kinds of sponsorship, like on the back of the groom's jacket and stuff.
Old 15 July 2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehcsif View Post
Isn't the point of that show that they get it for free, BUT they basically have to give in to what the planner wants?

Or am I thinking of some other lame wedding show that my wife once watched...

-Tim
Actually, the basis is they can't choose ANYTHING - the planner can't choose either, because they're begging. They simply ask a bunch of places and whomever agrees to lend them their services they're stuck with, because as the old adage goes...

But seriously, the planner seemed to be overstepping her bounds a bit, and she seemed to realize it later. :P

ETA: I'm specifically referring to the whole mohawk thing. If a guy wants to get married in a mohawk, it's not like this planner worked forever to find a barber to do his hair for free for the wedding and he went and shaved it anyway or anything. She just was so outraged over the idea of someone getting married in a mohawk that she forbid it and threw a tantrum when he went against her wishes in that area. I mean, it's just hair. It's the kind of person he is. He wants to get married in a mohawk. It's not really her place to say how his hair should be done. :P