snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 03 July 2007, 09:24 PM

Default "It's not whether you win or lose..."

What is the origin of "It's not whether you win or lose. It's how you play the game?"
Old 03 July 2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
What is the origin of "It's not whether you win or lose. It's how you play the game?"
I'd be willing to bet it was started by someone who lost a game.
Old 03 July 2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiev View Post
I'd be willing to bet it was started by someone who lost a game.
Which leads to why I would like to find the origins

It's on one of those annoying "motivational" posters that is currently decorating the hallway to my office.

I always saw the original quote as saying that losing while playing fair is better than winning by cheating, not "well, we lost but played a good game."
Old 03 July 2007, 11:07 PM
Deepfrydegg

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
I always saw the original quote as saying that losing while playing fair is better than winning by cheating, not "well, we lost but played a good game."
I always thought the same thing. Also, I thought it was supposed to be somethign like, "have fun while you play." Meaning, if you only play to win, you are losing focus from the competition going to the final goal.

For example, I always told my fellow softball players, "I play softball for three reasons. 1) To have fun 2) Win, if you can (it is a competitive thing) and 3) Drink Beer afterwards. Those aren't in any particular order"

I don't know the origin.
Old 03 July 2007, 11:09 PM

I always thought it meant that is doesn't matter whether you win or lose, but you should enjoy playing the game for the game's sake.

Not that it will help, but the line (or a slight variant) was used in the boat race segment of the 1970 film "The Magic Christian". While I doubt this was the original cite, it does at least pre-date 1970.
Old 04 July 2007, 12:25 AM

I like this maxim, I dont' know where it came from, but it's a good one IMO.

For example, my 8 yo nephew playing little league, his team lost and he was mad about it. I asked him two questions. 1. Did you play the best you could? "yeah" and 2. did you have fun?. Another yeah and I told him those things are what count, doing your (personal) best and enjoying the game. He shook his funk off and decided to go practice throwing and catching.

It's like life. Life isn't about the moment at the end or beginning, it's about every step, every moment, doing your best and appreciating every moment, good and bad. Also, we learn much more from the unpleasant "bad" things then we do from the days we are "happy" and content. So even losing games has it's benifits, it can help people see and thus work on their weaknesses.

Also, it's about good sportsmanship. I personally loath playing games with people who are all wraped up in "winning". Everybody loses sometime, it's about keeping perspective when you want to have a pity party because the other team's best that day was better then your teams best.

Now I only use this as a lesson for kids, I don't think that it really would do adults much good. If they havn't learned it by adulthood, seeing it posted up at work won't enlighten them.
Old 04 July 2007, 12:53 AM
Malalaise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepfrydegg View Post
For example, I always told my fellow softball players, "I play softball for three reasons. 1) To have fun 2) Win, if you can (it is a competitive thing) and 3) Drink Beer afterwards. Those aren't in any particular order"
Note that doing number 3 before the game ensures number 1 but makes number 2 very unlikely!

Old 04 July 2007, 11:42 AM

It apparently originates in a poem written by the sports writer Grantland Rice in 1908, “Alumnus Football”.

Quote:
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks – not that you won or lost – but how you played the Game
Old 04 July 2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneage Dinosaur View Post
It apparently originates in a poem written by the sports writer Grantland Rice in 1908, “Alumnus Football”.
After reading the whole poem, I suggest we move this thread to "Glurge Gallery".
Old 04 July 2007, 02:09 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepfrydegg View Post
"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get." (easy, 5 pts for reference)
Old 04 July 2007, 02:09 PM

The variation that i like to use is "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look while you're playing the game."

I use it to justify my dramatic dives at the ball, even when i know it's out of range.
Old 06 July 2007, 06:50 AM
Jubel

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fourth Man View Post
"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get." (easy, 5 pts for reference)
My first guess was right! 45 more points to go and I'll get a sticker.
Old 15 July 2007, 09:18 PM

Clive James on the wireless this morning came up with a useful quote from Martina Navratilova:

Quote:
After one of her countless Wimbledon victories, she once answered a not very interesting question with a very interesting answer. "What matters isn't how well you play when you're playing well. What matters is how well you play when you're playing badly."
Which was nice.