snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 02 July 2007, 08:06 PM

Icon108 Use rear entrance

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-feedback.html

Quote:
Several readers have sent us what appears to be a photograph of a sign outside Northampton General Hospital in the UK that says: "Family planning advice - use rear entrance". This would count as a great example of a sign that carries a meaning dramatically different from the one intended, were it not for the fact that the internet abounds with claims that the sign has been seen outside hospitals in other English towns as far apart as Barnstaple and Doncaster. This seems improbable - and photos are very easy to fake these days.

On the other hand, none of the urban myth websites has taken up the story and debunked it, so we are appealing to you for help. Is the Northampton photo a computer-manipulated concoction or does the sign really exist? Any hard evidence that can settle the question either way will be gratefully received.
Old 02 July 2007, 08:17 PM
Danamac448

Icon97

I vote fake, and not even a very good fake. The text in question is much clearer than the rest of the text on the sign. Plus, although the shadows onthe sign cause a slight color variation on the background (both the white and the blue parts), the text in question is the same color across the sign.
Old 02 July 2007, 08:22 PM
Victoria J

Goat

I have seen it debunked. Wish I could remember where. It was featured in a magaszine, and a couple of issues later someone wrote it and said they worked there and it wasn't real, as well as pointing out some of the flaws in the sign I think.

Might have been Private Eye. they run reader submitted funny photos and have a fairly rabid letters page - but they don't put much on line.

I think the sign has been on the snopes forum already though. ETA - Yep - 6th one down. I don't think Sensisteph did post about it again though.

For someone who knows the answer I'm not much help sadly.

Victoria J
Old 02 July 2007, 08:36 PM
FinBec

thats my local hospital!

I know at least 4 people who claim they've seen it but a nurse who actually works there says it's fake although she hasn't actually seen it.

Perhaps if its not raining on my day off i'll wander down and have a look?

Old 02 July 2007, 08:41 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinBec View Post
a nurse who actually works there says it's fake although she hasn't actually seen it.
If it's fake, how could she have seen it?

- snopes
Old 02 July 2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

- snopes
Presumably she has not seen the original sign, the photograph of which was photoshopped.
Old 02 July 2007, 09:21 PM
FinBec

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

- snopes
Oh dear, I meant she hasn't gone to look at the sign....

*Feels so bloody stupid now*