snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 02 July 2007, 08:09 AM

Pig Pink dolphin

Comment: Howdy folks! These are some really neat pictures! We have had a few
phone calls reporting this pink dolphin near the Cameron Ferry. Finally,
someone got a few good pictures of the fine specimen! Just thought you
guys would like to see. Hope all is well on your end! Take care!

Here are some photos taken by Erik Rue in Lake Charles, LA.

Old 02 July 2007, 08:11 AM

i say it could be an albino dolphin. could there be such a thing as one?
Old 02 July 2007, 08:53 AM
JD65

Yes, there are such things as albino dolphins. Googleing white or albino dolphins brings up numerous sites.

Last edited by JD65; 02 July 2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Spanked!
Old 02 July 2007, 10:01 AM

There is also such a thing as 'pink dolphins'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boto

The wikipedia photo isn't particulalry pink, but the 'pinkness' varies from individual to individual.

BBC has a few pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...files/62.shtml

One of them looks slightly pinker but also appears to be swimming in orange water...
Old 02 July 2007, 11:33 AM

This is a pink river dolphin in the Yangtze, which is definitely pink (the dolphin that is). But the beak of river dolphins is very different to the beak of the dolphin in the OP.

Old 02 July 2007, 02:52 PM

There's a pink river dolphin that lives in the Amazon as well.

Additionally there is a pink dolphin that lives in the ocean. I don't have any details, but I do have pictures of my kids and these pink dolphins taken on our trip to Singapore a few years back.
Old 02 July 2007, 06:51 PM
Barns & No Bull

The OP photo shows an albino juvenile Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus). That is probably its mother alongside.

The photo posted by Mosherette almost certainly shows an albino* adult Indo-Pacific Hump-Backed Dolphin (Sousa chinensis). They sometimes enter rivers, but don't travel very far within.

* EDIT: This is probably a regional color variant and not a true albino.

Last edited by Barns & No Bull; 02 July 2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02 July 2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barns & No Bull View Post
The photo posted by Mosherette almost certainly shows an albino* adult Indo-Pacific Hump-Backed Dolphin (Sousa chinensis). They sometimes enter rivers, but don't travel very far within.

Apparently, accoridng to the site hosting the picture, it's the near-extinct Lipotes vexillifer, the Yangtze river dolphin. But that picture does seem to be a colour variant - it was simply the first decent picture of "a" pink dolphin that came up for me in Google images.

The one in the OP looks like a colour variant of a bottlenose to me too. But why would an albino dolphin be pink and not white-ish?
Old 02 July 2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
The one in the OP looks like a colour variant of a bottlenose to me too. But why would an albino dolphin be pink and not white-ish?
Dolphins can sunburn. Do you think that's the case here?
Old 02 July 2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:

The source for this picture identifies it as a Baiji or Yangtze River Dolphin (Lipotes vexillifer). However, I agree that it does not look quite right for that species. Furthermore, a Google search turns up the same picture with the correct identification. Pretty in Pink

Quote:
But in the Pearl River Delta, between Hong Kong & Macau, these dolphins have taken on a bubble-gum pink hue.

Scientists are uncertain why the Indo-pacific Humpback dolphins living off Hong Kong's coasts are pink, although they have several theories, including that a lack of natural predators (namely sharks) in the brackish water where rivers meet the sea negates their need for camouflage or that the pink coloring is a byproduct of blushing, the flushing of blood to the skin, used to regulate body temperature.
James Powell
Old 02 July 2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Dolphins can sunburn. Do you think that's the case here?

OUCH!!!
Old 02 July 2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
The source for this picture identifies it as a Baiji or Yangtze River Dolphin (Lipotes vexillifer). However, I agree that it does not look quite right for that species. Furthermore, a Google search turns up the same picture with the correct identification. Pretty in Pink

James Powell
Yep, those are the same dolphins my daughers had pictures taken with.
Old 02 July 2007, 08:47 PM
Barns & No Bull

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
Apparently, accoridng to the site hosting the picture, it's the near-extinct Lipotes vexillifer, the Yangtze river dolphin. But that picture does seem to be a colour variant - it was simply the first decent picture of "a" pink dolphin that came up for me in Google images.

That site is wrong. The photo is not of a Yangtze River Dolphin. It's an I-P Hump-Backed Dolphin. This species exhibits a range of colors including pinkish-white (but are not albino). The ones that live near this river are almost always this color. These are coastal dolphins that sometimes enter the river.

None of these dolphins will appear as pure white (whether they are true albinos or not) because blood vessels will give them a pink color. I suspect the Bottlenose in the OP is a true albino.
Old 04 July 2007, 05:17 PM
Cyber

I agree with Barns completely.

Furthermore, the colour warmth of the picture has been modified to an unnatural reddish-hue. If you pay close attention to the white of the water splashes, you'll notice there's a pinkness surrounding these white spots as well. Ergo, the dolphin's colour is greatly exaggerated.

Here's what the picture looks like after re-adjusting the colour warmth to a cooler, more natural setting:

It's pure conjecture on my part as to what the "natural" warmth would be, but this looks far more realistic to me... and as you can see, the dolphin isn't as pink as the original. It's clearly an albino.
Old 05 July 2007, 11:14 PM
Barns & No Bull

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
I agree with Barns completely.
Hold on. You might be "agreeing" with something I didn't say. This here juvenile true albino Bottlenose Dolphin should be expected to look pinkish because of vascularizing all the way to the epidermis.

Quote:
Furthermore, the colour warmth of the picture has been modified to an unnatural reddish-hue. If you pay close attention to the white of the water splashes, you'll notice there's a pinkness surrounding these white spots as well. Ergo, the dolphin's colour is greatly exaggerated.
The (presumably automatic) setting on the (presumably digital) camera is presumably close to reality. That's because it looks right, as is.

Quote:
Here's what the picture looks like after re-adjusting the colour warmth to a cooler, more natural setting. (see above adjusted photo)

It's pure conjecture on my part as to what the "natural" warmth would be, but this looks far more realistic to me... and as you can see, the dolphin isn't as pink as the original. It's clearly an albino.
Yeah, the kid dolphin is an albino which should appear as pinkish. Your adjustment now makes the mama look blueish, which is all wrong. She should be slate-gray, which puts the proper color back at the original image showing her blowhole brat as being rather pink.

I guess it's time to bring out the big guns for Cyber and all of us other smart snopesters. Don't count me as any kind of an authority, but rather as a fellow researcher of natural genetic phenomena. The photos of this juvenile Bottlenose Dolphin and also the pinkish Indo-Pacific Hump-Backed Dolphin show two different (but similar) and really cool phenotypes:

Albinism (albino) - the Bottlenose
Leucism (tricky because it looks a lot like albinism) - the Hump-Backed
Old 06 July 2007, 12:08 AM

Rare Pink Dolphin Seen in Louisiana Lake

The charter boat company's web page.
Old 06 July 2007, 12:24 AM
Barns & No Bull

I'm worried about albino junior because the photos show that it seems to tightly squint when it takes a breath. Albinism would make mammalian eyes sensitive to ultraviolet and other light rays. Okay, we only see two shots of baby at the surface. But I wonder about the longevity outcome for true albino dolphins. Are there any records of adult albino dolphins?

I'm imagining a life of stress. The sun is a demon, and big predators pick you out like candy.
Old 06 July 2007, 02:25 AM
Cyber

Theme Icon

Quote:
Hold on. You might be "agreeing" with something I didn't say. This here juvenile true albino Bottlenose Dolphin should be expected to look pinkish because of vascularizing all the way to the epidermis.
Doh! I guess I should clarify. I would expect an albino bottlenose to be somewhat pinkish in colour (which is where I agree with you), but the OP themselves seem a little exaggerated, to the point where, for example, the accompanying dolphin's dorsal fin is glowing a saturated reddish hue. That leads me to assume that the colour is slightly off. Not a compelling argument, I know, although I'd like to think it's valid. Colour warmth is a very subtle and spontaneous effect.

Edit: Although, after seeing the charter boat's gallery of the dolphin including pictures taken presumably from different cameras, I'll have to step down here. I say again: Doh!
Old 06 July 2007, 09:03 PM

Icon202

What kind of dolphin is it? A Cutie Pie, of course! (I'm sorry. Normally I am fascinated by genetics, but I lose it when a cutie is involved.)

Can we keep it, Mom? Please! We can name it SeaTiger*! I'll hug it & squeeze it & love it for life!

Whew. I feel better now, with that out of my system.

(*Weird reference to Operation Petticoat)