snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02 July 2007, 06:45 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is online now
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,346
Icon23 World's largest lollipop

Comment: Supposedly this is real, apparently Jolly Rancher set a new world record for the largest lollipop in the world.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02 July 2007, 06:56 AM
Kallah's Avatar
Kallah Kallah is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2004
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,383
Default

Quote:
Supposedly this is real, apparently Jolly Rancher set a new world record for the largest lollipop in the world.
Is it just me, or does it seem pretty small for something thatís supposed to be the largest in the world? Even accounting for perspective, camera angles, and gremlins it looks like it canít be much larger than 10-12 foot on a side.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02 July 2007, 07:28 AM
moonlight's Avatar
moonlight moonlight is offline
 
Join Date: 30 August 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,214
Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem pretty small for something thatís supposed to be the largest in the world?
That was my first thought as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02 July 2007, 08:11 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is online now
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,346
Icon23

It's not the size of the lollipop that's important; it's how you use your tongue ...

- snopes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02 July 2007, 09:50 AM
Jay Tea Jay Tea is offline
 
 
Join Date: 09 October 2002
Location: gg gg
Posts: 13,909
Ponder

"All-Day Sucker my Ass! Try 20 minutes!"

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02 July 2007, 06:01 PM
RLS RLS is offline
 
Join Date: 30 January 2007
Location: Plainview, MN
Posts: 322
Default

It may be the one made by Hershey/Jolly Rancher in June 2002. According to the description it was square. http://www1.thehersheycompany.com/ne...leaseID=310738 I could find no pictures tho. It is also no longer the worlds largest. A company in Sweden made one 700 lbs heavier the next year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02 July 2007, 06:19 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 17,474
Default

Getting something that size to try and solidify can't be an easy process. It's not like glass or such that only has to cool. It may not hold the record any longer, but I would not be surprised if it was made within the past few years and was the largest at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02 July 2007, 06:44 PM
Danamac448
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
It may be the one made by Hershey/Jolly Rancher in June 2002. According to the description it was square. http://www1.thehersheycompany.com/ne...leaseID=310738 I could find no pictures tho. It is also no longer the worlds largest. A company in Sweden made one 700 lbs heavier the next year.

According to this site (about halfway down the page), it is the Hershey/Jolly Rancher lollypop.

Quote:
Jolly Rancher has unveiled the World's Largest Lollipop, certified by Guinness World Records, weighing in at a whopping 4,016 pounds and measures 62.8 inches in diameter (over 5 feet square) and 18.9 inches thick. The Jolly Rancher lollipop, an exact replica of the regular-sized Jolly Rancher cherry lollipop, breaks the previous record by over 1,000 pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02 July 2007, 10:18 PM
Wolf333's Avatar
Wolf333 Wolf333 is offline
 
Join Date: 12 August 2006
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 2,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem pretty small for something thatís supposed to be the largest in the world? Even accounting for perspective, camera angles, and gremlins it looks like it canít be much larger than 10-12 foot on a side.
Put it in perspective...
Using 10-12ft per side, that would be a piece of hard candy the size of my living room. On a stick.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02 July 2007, 11:26 PM
Kallah's Avatar
Kallah Kallah is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2004
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,383
Default

Quote:
Put it in perspective...
Using 10-12ft per side, that would be a piece of hard candy the size of my living room. On a stick.
On a stick! You're right: a sucker the size of your (or my!) living room is, when you think about it, pretty big. I was guessing high on the number though, and it seems I was way off in my guess (if I'm reading the above correct): 5 foot on a side would only make it the size of a large dinner table.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03 July 2007, 12:00 AM
Wolf333's Avatar
Wolf333 Wolf333 is offline
 
Join Date: 12 August 2006
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 2,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
On a stick! You're right: a sucker the size of your (or my!) living room is, when you think about it, pretty big. I was guessing high on the number though, and it seems I was way off in my guess (if I'm reading the above correct): 5 foot on a side would only make it the size of a large dinner table.
Okay... so it's a large, lickable (and tasty, if it's watermelon or green apple) dinner table... on a stick
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03 July 2007, 12:05 AM
One-Fang's Avatar
One-Fang One-Fang is offline
 
 
Join Date: 02 November 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
Okay... so it's a large, lickable (and tasty, if it's watermelon or green apple) dinner table... on a stick
Um ... it's red. I'm not particularly familiar with that brand, but I'd say it's more likely their cherry.

It is small for a "world's biggest" in my humble opinion. Only thing I really know anything about in that style is the world's biggest cookie, because it's local - http://www.cookietime.com/wbc.html. It's a heck of a lot bigger than that lollipop. I imagine getting something to bake evenly is a lot harder than getting something to set.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03 July 2007, 01:14 AM
Wolf333's Avatar
Wolf333 Wolf333 is offline
 
Join Date: 12 August 2006
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 2,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
Um ... it's red. I'm not particularly familiar with that brand, but I'd say it's more likely their cherry.

It is small for a "world's biggest" in my humble opinion. Only thing I really know anything about in that style is the world's biggest cookie, because it's local - http://www.cookietime.com/wbc.html. It's a heck of a lot bigger than that lollipop. I imagine getting something to bake evenly is a lot harder than getting something to set.
Saying that a lollypop is small because it isn't as big as the worlds largest cookie is like saying a Bugatti is slow because it isn't as fast as the Concorde. Different mediums, you see.

Oh, and Jolly Rancher's watermelon candy is slightly red, while the green apple is, of course, green... the flavor was wishful thinking on my part.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.