snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 29 June 2007, 11:09 AM
Hypno Toad

Judge High Tide Heels?

Anybody know if these are real? I can't see it being a Photoshop job, so...art?

Could you even walk in those?

HT
Old 29 June 2007, 11:26 AM
JessBoo

They're not 'real'- the labels are just bits of paper stuck to the boxes, and you couldn't walk in them because there is no structure other than the heel. Google only comes up with stuff in Greek though, so...no idea what they're for.
Old 29 June 2007, 11:31 AM
Hypno Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBoo View Post
They're not 'real'- the labels are just bits of paper stuck to the boxes, and you couldn't walk in them because there is no structure other than the heel. Google only comes up with stuff in Greek though, so...no idea what they're for.

That's what I was thinking (About the structure). I hadn't noticed the labels untill you pointed them out. It's a shame they made such an effort to produce a professional looking product only to screw up the presentation so badly (ruining the illusion).

HT
Old 29 June 2007, 11:52 AM
charlie23

judging from the canvases behind them I'd guess some kind of installation / sculptural piece in a student gallery.
Old 29 June 2007, 01:52 PM
Duckie Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie23 View Post
judging from the canvases behind them I'd guess some kind of installation / sculptural piece in a student gallery.
Also if you look at the orchid vase on the right there appears to be a price tag tied to the plant. Still, it's a really neat art project. However, you wouldn't be able to walk in them even if the heel could support you. Most heels require that the ball of the foot support some of the weight. Last time I wore flippers only a few of my toes poked out of the opening. If that held true with these "shoes" then the foot would be at an awkward angle for walking with all the weight going on maybe the big toe and you would be constantly sliding forward. Ok, and the flipper might make it hard too.
Old 29 June 2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm probably being really stupid here, but I don't get what labels you're talking about. The only ones I can see are the stickers on the sides of the shoe boxes, but I've bought shoes that were labeled up like that before, so if that's what you're refering to then I'm not sure what that proves.

Not that I think they're real, I agree with the other part of your post, there is no structure, so you couldn't walk in them.

Scout.
Old 29 June 2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie23 View Post
charlie beat me too it, I too was going to say that they looked like an art project made by a student on display in a gallery. The stuck-on label especially makes me really think it's the work of a student. The flipper-shoes turned out pretty good though, wonder what they're made of?
Old 29 June 2007, 02:31 PM

Wolf

Ignorong the structure of the shoe itself, wouldn't it be tough to walk on a beach in heels - let alone flipper-heels?
Old 29 June 2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I'm probably being really stupid here, but I don't get what labels you're talking about. The only ones I can see are the stickers on the sides of the shoe boxes, but I've bought shoes that were labeled up like that before, so if that's what you're refering to then I'm not sure what that proves.
I couldn't see it either until I enlarged the picture.
Old 29 June 2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
Ignorong the structure of the shoe itself, wouldn't it be tough to walk on a beach in heels - let alone flipper-heels?
Heh. My mother's sister was probably the vainest person I've ever known. At 4' 11 1/2" tall (1.51 m), she *always* wore high heels. She even had the kind of bedroom slippers that had heels. The last time she came to visit with us, we took her too the beach and walked along the water. And her heels promptly sank in the sand and suddenly she was eye level with my mother and I. It was highly amusing.

Gibbie
Old 30 June 2007, 01:51 PM
Danvers Carew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post

Not that I think they're real, I agree with the other part of your post, there is no structure, so you couldn't walk in them.

Scout.
The stickers on the sides of the shoeboxes seems to be what's being talked about. However, I don't understand what they are meant to suggest in terms of proving whether or not these are real objects for sale. I have seen similar stickers on shoeboxes and have bought shoes that come in generic boxes with item-specific labels stuck on the side. I'm really not sure how these are in any way relevant.

These shoes could very easily be intended to be sold as a novelty flipper/swimfin - a 'wacky' gift sort of thing. I've certainly seen plenty of stupider things for sale. In which case, they wouldn't have to be at all practical for walking in - they'd be intended to be used while swimming, not for going for walks on the beach. They wouldn't even have to be particularly practical for swimming in - these would presumably just be a gag gift - no series scuba diver is ever going to wear them.

I'm not saying this is certainly what they are (they could likewise be an art installation or just a humorous eye-catching advertising display in a shoe-shop window - "This season, be fashionable AND practical on the beach...") but I think there's a series of odd arguments in this thread. It'd be like someone posting a photo of an inflatable turtle (which clearly do exist and are for sale) then everyone countering with "Not real - that wouldn't be practical on the beach - would that hold the weight of an average American and keep him buoyant at high tide? No! Fake!" or "Totaly impractical as a children's water plaything - too cumbersome to throw - fake!"

When it comes to what people are willing to make and try to sell, I don't think logic has any place in the argument.
Old 30 June 2007, 02:17 PM

Funnily enough, here's today's Ferd'nand comic . I didn't really think it was all that funny at first, kind of sexist, really, then I stumbled on this thread.

Coincidence?
Old 02 July 2007, 12:51 PM
JessBoo

My point about the stickers was that they don't look like stickers, they look like bits of paper that have been cut out and glued on. Stickers on shoe boxes are very rarely stuck on so uniformly, and completely straight. Also, shoe boxes generally aren't plain white.
Old 02 July 2007, 02:53 PM
steggy

Well it's most probably in belgium, either that or the car parked next to the window is from Belgium.

Could be a seaside shop, that sells things niche things, possibly made by the owner. Hence the generic boxes and glued on labels.
Old 02 July 2007, 05:03 PM

Here's another photo of them, slightly different angle.

Gibbie
Old 02 July 2007, 07:58 PM

Another photo here...

http://www.divezone.ch/index.php?opt...=821&Itemid=33

Note to the far right there are what appear to be 2 art canvases stacked up...

That's another tick in the "artwork" box.
Old 10 February 2008, 05:09 PM
gardenwife

The comments in that first German blog entry are funny!
http://translate.google.com/translat...shion-footwear

I vote for art gallery installation.
Old 10 February 2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
That's what I was thinking (About the structure). I hadn't noticed the labels untill you pointed them out. It's a shame they made such an effort to produce a professional looking product only to screw up the presentation so badly (ruining the illusion).

HT
With regard to the "structure", I'm not quite sure to what you are referring. There are heeled sandals in existence with as few as one or two straps across the top of the foot. If the top of the shoe (instep?) successfully traps the foot against the insole, then that should be all the "structure" needed. These shoes have a fully enclosed heel and a open-toed full shoe (vamp?).

As far as the way the heel is attached to the arch, that wouldn't be visible in these pictures. There could and is likely to be a rigid shank that maintains the walking angle. What I'm curious about is how much of the sole flexes (flippers) when under zero or negative load. If it flexes whenever the wearer lifts the foot, that could become a walking problem.

- P
Old 30 June 2008, 06:14 PM
KROE

Actually, there were some wearable ones created by a designer for a runway show. But they are not for sale, they were just a fun little extra.

See?

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/2007...high-tide.html
Old 01 July 2008, 05:45 PM

Hmmm... was gonna Chow this thread then realized it was the very thread I was gonna Chow it with.

Helps to look at the year too...

29 June 2007, 11:09 AM