Comment: You may have heard this a zilliion times but I can't find any
references to it, on your site or others. These are legends, usually
shared by women, about some poor post-middle-aged woman who dies alone on
a Friday and isn't discovered until Monday, and when her body is found,
her cat (or dog) has eaten part of her face to survive. Ever heard of
anything like this?
Old 26 June 2007, 09:34 PM
Lady Neeva

Every other week it seems lol. When starving, an animal will eat anything it needs to to try and survive. Starving horses eating wooden fences and trees is a frequent example on the Animal Planet animal cops shows (not referring to cribbing here, rather actually eating wood).

Rodents will cannibalize each other at the drop of a hat... "Food dish has been empty for 10 minutes! EAT THE BABIES!" seems to be their standard mode of operation.

Since the flesh on the face is pretty much the thinnest, I would imagine it would begin to decay the fastest, which might trigger scavenging instincts too.

Or, it could be that cats just view us as moving feasts and are waiting for us to die. I do sometimes wonder about them.
Old 28 June 2007, 01:15 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
Or, it could be that cats just view us as moving feasts and are waiting for us to die. I do sometimes wonder about them.
I go along with that. Cats are e-e-e-evil. A dog will stand loyally over it's master's dead body. Cats have their knives and forks out the moment you hit the floor.
Old 17 July 2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
Rodents will cannibalize each other at the drop of a hat... "Food dish has been empty for 10 minutes! EAT THE BABIES!" seems to be their standard mode of operation.
Most small rodents will rarely if ever kill each other for food if they are not starved. It is more likely that one dies of other causes and is eaten, or they fight and the loser dies and is eaten-- but not killed for the purpose of being eaten.
Rodents which cannibalize their young usually do so for self-preservation due to food shortage meaning that they may not be able to survive and feed the litter on the available food, so they reduce the numbers in the litter; or due to the litter and/or mother being disturbed or stressed (mother is stressed/disturbed and feels threatened, kills the litter.)
Old 21 July 2007, 12:23 AM

Icon86

This story about an elderly pet owner who dies suddenly and his/her pet--dog or cat--survives by eating it dead owner's flesh has been around quite a while.

I recall reading an account in a tabloid about 20 years ago where a young man sealed his grandmother in a room with her dog because he was tired of her nagging. She had diabetes and died suddenly because she couldn't get her insulin. Her corpse remained there for a while, but her dog survived because he ate the flesh off her legs!

B. A. Rainey
Old 21 July 2007, 09:24 PM

Don't forget that the French woman who had a face transplant needed it because her dog had eaten part of her face whilst she slept
Old 20 August 2007, 11:06 PM
Muchita

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Don't forget that the French woman who had a face transplant needed it because her dog had eaten part of her face whilst she slept
The dog didn't eat her face because he was starving. He attacked her when she wouldn't wake up after taking sleeping tablets.

I guess an emoticon of an animal eating someones face is a bit too graphic.
Old 21 August 2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Eight View Post
I go along with that. Cats are e-e-e-evil. A dog will stand loyally over it's master's dead body. Cats have their knives and forks out the moment you hit the floor.
Last time this thread came round I posted some links to the German Shepherd that ate its elderly owners when they died. Even loyally standing guard has to give way to hunger at some point.

Dogs can keep alive by eating other things - fruit from a fruit bowl, bread, biscuits etc. Cats are "obligate carnivores" and therefore have a less flexible diet than dogs. Because cats are dependent on protein and have relatively poor liver function (need their food fresh, not on the turn), they will be driven to eating owners sooner rather than later.
Old 22 August 2007, 07:30 PM
MiddleEye

It's like that Malcolm in the Middle episode where the family is going to Lois' aunt's funeral and when the oldest son, Francis, calls to find out what happened to the aunt and gets the youngest son, Dewey, on the phone Dewey tells him, "Cats ate her face." And so Francis says, "No. I'm asking what happened to aunt Name Here. Put dad on the phone." He asks the dad and he says, "Cats ate her face. Here, talk to Dewey; he knows more about it than I do." Later in that episode you see Dewey going by in the background with the phone telling Francis all about how the police had to come and her face was all gone and you couldn't recognize her.

If it's on the Fox network it has to be real...
Old 06 September 2007, 04:32 PM
Vendicare

Default It Happened to a famous actress, too.

Marie Prevost. The picture is available in "Hollywood Babyon" if anyone wanted to see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Prevost

There was a song written about it, too, just with a couple of changes:

MARIE PROVOST
Nick Lowe

Marie Provost did not look her best
The day the cops bust into her lonely nest
in the cheap hotel up on Hollywood west
July 29

She'd been lyin' there for two or three weeks
The neighbors said they never heard a squeak
While hungry eyes that could not speak
said even little doggies have got to eat

chorus:
She was a winner that became a doggie's dinner
She never meant that much to me
Whoa oh poor Marie

Marie Provost was a movie queen
mysterious angel of the silent screen
And run like the wind the nation's young men steamed
When Marie crossed the silent screen

Whoa she came out west from New York
but when the talkies came Marie just couldn't cope
The public said Marie take a walk
All the way back to New York

-repeat chorus-

Those quaalude bombs didn't help her sleep
As her nights grew long and her days grew bleak
It's all downhill once you've passed your peak
Marie got ready for that last big sleep

The cops came in and they looked around
Throwin' up everywhere over what they found
The handiwork of Marie's little dachshund
That hungry little dachshund

-repeat chorus-

poor Marie
Old 15 September 2007, 05:48 AM
chelle

I think my youngest cat is one of those cats. She woke me up at 6 this morning licking & nipping (lightly, with her front teeth) at my hands, arms, & face. She was unrelenting. I'd put her on the floor, she'd come right back. I'd knock her to the foot of the bed, she'd be right back at my face. When I finally got up, I discovered her food bowl was empty.

So if I die at home, someone better find me quick, before there's nothing left.
Old 14 October 2007, 02:04 AM
GrUvGrL

Our Bud (pet cat) is a rescued cat. He was found alongside of his dead owner who was missing some of the tips of her fingers, cause, well she was dead and not able to feed him, and he was hungry.

When I was younger I was attacked by my own cat. Totally unprovoked attack (even though the nurses at the hospital swore I musta done something to the cat to get attacked). Truthfully all that happened was he slipped out the balcony door and went missing, I found him and brought him home, (cradled him as you would a child) as soon as I turned into the driveway the cat lunged at my face, got hold of either side of my face and sunk his teeth into my left eye. The more I tried to pry him away, the more he sunk his teeth in deeper. I finally gave up and just let him hang off my face until he fell.

11 stitches later to the sides of my face bellow my eye and to my eye lid. I was well... but became terrified of cats, until I met my man. I trust Bud, (as long as I am breathing that is) but still have reservations to certain cats I meet.